• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question on fork gaiters

radiotinnitus

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw Hippo Hands website has an alternative style of fork gaiters available. It's a super simple design, just a piece of heavy duty nylon reflectorized fabric with velcro fasteners. Installation is ten seconds to wrap it around the fork and you're done. Aesthetics aside, would this approach acheive the same function as the traditional gaiters?

I checked out the site, I would say they would work. The ascetic of it is not what most people would expect, I know I am used to the look of the accordion rubber fork gaiters, you know standard dirt bike style. I just did not see a price and that can be a determining factor

If your using the bike for serious off road stuff (which it really isn't designed to do) they would be worth it, but for the street they aren't needed. If you do put those on they will trap moisture and road debris against the fork tubes promoting rust and pitting. These are what you are trying to avoid in the first place right? Nicked forks will ruin fork seals faster.

If your using the bike for serious off road stuff (which it really isn't designed to do) they would be worth it, but for the street they aren't needed. If you do put those on they will trap moisture and road debris against the fork tubes promoting rust and pitting. These are what you are trying to avoid in the first place right? Nicked forks will ruin fork seals faster.

That's what I've always read with the 'sock' type protectors. They end up trapping more bad stuff than helping (think car bra).

This is the route I'm going to go -- F650GS Fork Gaiters - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry (scroll about halfway down)

3371623542_253751a8e1_o.jpg

Should keep the dings and nicks from road debris off. I had that style on my last bike -- 60k miles on the original fork seals when I traded it in, no problems.

Beemerphile has put on old skool accordion gaiters that I think look pretty neat, I'm just too lazy to take apart the front end of a brand new bike....

trey

With the traditional style accordion gaiters we often used to slit them down the back with a razor blade wrapp them around the fork then glue back together.This may be a bit of a bodge but it worked and saved a lot of effort

Last edited:
These are the best I've found.

kriega.jpg

If it's the Kriegas that you mean - they are for USD forks only - same as in the pic - says in their catalog "USD fork fitment only" - no model for non-USD forks shown in the on-line catalog that I saw, so no fitment for the NC700.

Thanks for the info and opinions. BTW, the Hippo Hands gaiters are about $25. You can get them made w/ 3M reflective material.

It's not only that I'm lazy and don't want to disassemble the front end of my bike to install traditional gaiters. It's also that I'm afraid of not getting everything back together at the correct torque spec and etc. One time I over tightened the stem on someone's bicycle and it snapped when they took it out for a ride. I'll change my own oil and remodel my own basement, but I'm skittish when my life depends on my mechanical abilities. It could turn out to be a Homer Simpson moment.

This is the route I'm going to go -- F650GS Fork Gaiters - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry (scroll about halfway down)
3371623542_253751a8e1_o.jpg

Should keep the dings and nicks from road debris off. I had that style on my last bike -- 60k miles on the original fork seals when I traded it in, no problems.
trey
That is the type I have on my NC700. I bought them from the Triumph Dealer. I think I paid about $19.00
Easy to install.

That is the type I have on my NC700. I bought them from the Triumph Dealer. I think I paid about $19.00
Easy to install.

Curious. Is it $19 a piece or is it a pair? Also, on the Triumph parts website, there are two parts listed with no indication of the difference. I'm going to call them today and order a set.
Thanks,
Erik

PS Here's a link to the parts website...

I use shock sox neoprene covers mounted upside down
Most dirt bike places probably have them
Three velcro tabs to install or remove, washable
About $25 a pair

Back