• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Questionnaire about the battery life on NC

This may sound like trolling but this data collection is flawed and the results will be pretty useless.
There are so many factors which governs a battery's life.
1. Weather
2. Riding style
3. Accessories
4. Charger or no charge
5. Garaged or open
6. the list goes on...

Any results will not be scientific.
Like an economist will say, all data is good, how do you want it (the analysis)?

Obviously it's impossible to gather everything and then process it.

But I'll have the most important: temperatures (from location), time, distance, riding environment and maintenance habits. A big number of responses will smooth any 'errors' and we will have a nice picture of reality!

Accessories are not so important when the engine is running. Parasitic drain is the big concern...

Last edited:
Original 2012 NC700XA OEM battery, zero problems.

No daily commuting. Random riding, random charging. If winter stored, usually December to March with battery charged when I remember to, every few weeks. :eek:

Obviously it's impossible to gather everything and then process it.

But I'll have the most important: temperatures (from location), time, distance, riding environment and maintenance habits. A big number of responses will smooth any 'errors' and we will have a nice picture of reality!

Accessories are not so important when the engine is running. Parasitic drain is the big concern...

I could not agree more. Also, many times I see riders turn key into ON position without immediately starting the engine. IMO this would weaken the battery over short period of time.

Original 2012 NC700XA OEM battery, zero problems.

No daily commuting. Random riding, random charging. If winter stored, usually December to March with battery charged when I remember to, every few weeks. :eek:

Almost exactly my situation. No plan, no system, but genearally 5-10 year motorcycle battery life. Cold storage over winter months helps, in my opinion.

Factory battery still tests good. No special charging routine, battery's sits in the shop with other battery's at fire resistant charge bank where I do a top off charging every month or two.This time of the year I keep two deep cycle boat battery's, 2 motorcycle, jet ski, 2 RV deep cycle battery's,Snowmobile battery goes on for the summer, 3 @7 amp gel cells for my ice fishing gear(flasher,camera) not counting half a dozen lipo cell packs for my gas R/C airplanes I fly. I use and charge a lot and do nothing special. Get a good charger, use it with a regular charge routine. The 2012 700X hopefully has another season or two in it as I usually get 5-7 years on my smaller battery's doing what I do, longer on the large battery's. Ride safe.

I could not agree more. Also, many times I see riders turn key into ON position without immediately starting the engine. IMO this would weaken the battery over short period of time.
You are not supposed to immediately hit the starter button when you turn the key to the on position. You are supposed to wait until the dash goes thru its cycle program (per owners manual), usually takes 5-6 seconds for the dash to cycle thru.
To stay on point. 2013 NC700x with original battery. Sometimes I put it on a battery charger, sometimes I don't. Only electrics I run is my GPS (sometimes), or my electric heated glove liners. No other external electrics added.
My 2007 Suzuki c50; I changed the OEM battery 2.5 years ago (about 50,000 miles on it at the time) troubleshooting an EFI issue (turned out to be a loose connector), but I had already bought the new battery and turned in the old battery when I purchased the new battery (core replacement)-so that battery was 7.5 years old when replaced but probably still good.

Last edited:
[...Also, many times I see riders turn key into ON position without immediately starting the engine...]

Or turn it OFF using the Engine Stop Switch and forget to turn the key to OFF until someone notices!

2 Yuasa batteries failed over the 4 years, 2 months since I bought my NCX (new). Essentially nothing to be done about it in this heat, except stop paying the high price for a Yuasa.

Very hot weather is a real battery killer. It increases self discharging (i.e. sulfation), corrosion and probably gassing. We should have the option to install a conventional battery. You can always fill with water and do an equalization charge to remove sulfation.

You could enter an entry for every battery. Not one for two... Don't worry, I spotted your entry (thanks to your comment) so I will fix it later in the spreadsheet!

I went to the survey again but still can't answer accurately. Under "Battery replaced in", I have no way to state that the battery is 4.5 years old and is the original. I'd like to say "5 years and still healthy", but it hasn't been 5 years. No one in the USA has an NC700X that's 5 years old yet.

You may select the option you mentioned (in that case OCV will be really useful), and write a comment about the exact battery age, and other details if you want.

Thank you!

I was indeed blessed. Battery received no care, no float during months of each winter. Use once or twice per week during max season. And the battery just gave out at 5.5 years. Now I am spoiled ! *Oh, forgot to add that I am powering sidecar light and its acc box too !!!

I was indeed blessed. Battery received no care, no float during months of each winter. Use once or twice per week during max season. And the battery just gave out at 5.5 years. Now I am spoiled ! *Oh, forgot to add that I am powering sidecar light and its acc box too !!!

How was it that your battery was 5.5 years old? Did the dealer install an old battery in it, or was it pulled from another older bike and then put in your NC700X? Or did you miscalculate the actual age (NC700X came to the USA 4.5 years ago, in July, 2012)?

I just filled out the questionnaire. My bike is a 2012. I bought it in early 2013 and it still has the original battery. I'm just shy of 40K miles and use the bike to commute to work daily which is a 30 mile ride. I have heated grips but rarely use them and I have a 12V socket which gets used on occasion. I do have fog lights which always stay on.

I don't use a battery tender because I ride everyday to include the winter unless we get ice so there is no need for a supplemental charge. So far, the battery is hanging in there.

Mine lasted 2 years, not very good. I decided to go with Lithium this time, incredibly light and powerful. Gel batteries are good also, and have long life.

No, Gel cell batteries are not 'better' than AGM. Actually there is only batteries that fit better to a specific application.

Usually AGM batteries are mistakenly promoted as Gel cell. They're not. They have some common characteristics (they're both VRLA, sealed lead acid batteries) but they are also different.

Gel cell can cope a little better with higher temperatures, and perform better in low current applications but they're not as powerful as AGM. They are also incompatible with AGM. If you install a Gel cell in an AGM charging system like ours, it will get overcharged. You've to replace your R/R with a Gel cell compatible (with a lower top voltage).

That's why they're preferred in deep cycle / float applications like UPS, alarms, and energy storage... And you'll not find any real Gel cell with the same specs as YTZ12S, for SLI application in general... They're almost vanished from automotive industry.

My dad has a gel cell in one of his dirt bikes (his 250, I think), don't remember the battery brand, don't think he changed any of the other power components. Haven't had any issues starting the bike since it's been installed (must be 5 years now), mostly used for trail riding, no battery tender but he rides all his bikes occasionally to keep them generally in good condition. If it's left for a long time unused, it'll sometimes take an extra button push before the bike cranks, but after that it's golden.

Back