• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rack. Can someone clarify please

werewasi

Reaction score
Visit site
OK so I'm in Australia which will make it possible that the HONDA parts situation is a little different but: -------

I need a rack for my NC 700S but not because I want to fit cases, merely something that I can tie my bag and camp gear to.
Honda make a rack and I've seen pics of bikes here with the OEM fitted and the notes about cutting the side panels.

I went to the dealer to get this rack and he tells me that the rack (part no. 08L72 MGSD 70 ) is available on order only ex japan but that I also need the stay kit ( 08L74 MGSD 70).
I can see some toggle things to lock the cases on but these don't interest me.

Why do I need the stay kit? . Can't I just get the rack?

Last edited:
(My comments assume the S rack works the same as the X rack). You can buy the Honda rack but you cannot install it without changing out the side rails (stays). The stock side rails (stays) do not have mounting points for the rack. Honda elected to sell the side rails separate from the rack itself. It sounds to me like the rack was an after thought, and the way it's implemented is rather wasteful and costly.

There are also other aftermarket rack options available besides Honda.

Greg

My reply is similar to Greg's. I do wonder whether the 'accessory' rails (stays) are stronger, for carrying not only the saddlebags and cargo, but the top case and cargo, too. Still, one might think/hope that a standard factory grab rail would be installed at the factory that was multipurpose. Oh, well...

Last edited:
Maybe one of these is what you're looking for:

500_7110043.jpg

This one can be use with a topcase as well:

500_7110045.jpg

Back