• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Real world mileage after 20 fill ups, just for the record...

cyrano138

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't count one because I over-filled, but over 20 of them and around 3500 miles, my average fuel economy is 70.45 miles per gallon (US). I figured I'd post in case someone who is researching the bike is wondering what the mileage is really like after normal use by normal people. Having said that, here is how I drive it:

Mostly interstate highway, I'd say 75%, at an average speed of 65 mph.

Driving around town is fairly conservative. In other words, approximately 90% of my shifting is done at recommended shift points, and acceleration is easy--usually slower than surrounding traffic.

I can count on one hand the number of times this bike has seen rpm's over 4000.

I'm very happy with the performance and economy of this bike. I really need to wash it, though; I haven't yet.

Last edited:
I have ridden through three full tanks. Juat over 57 on the first, 59 on the second and 60 on the third. 90% of my riding has been surface streets shifting at 3,000 or below. Usually no more than about 1/4 throttle on take offs or between shifts. Freeway speed is usually between 65 and 70.

I would love to see mileage like mentioned above, but I don't see what I could do different to get it.

I am still very happy with the performance and economy of my little X. So far my only disappointment is the delivery (or lack there of) of little things like the taller windshield and centerstand.

My last tank worked out to 70.37. I ride mostly around town and do about 30% of my traveling on the interstate. I generally shift around 5500 or when I hit the rev limiter if I forget that I can't spin 'er to 12 or 13 grand like the old bike, I never watch the tach I just shift when she feels like she's in the meat of the torque. I generally don't hit 6th gear below 45-50mph because it feels like its lugging the engine. I'm starting to adapt to the new way I need to ride, but I've never been one to baby a ride. To me a bike is like my guitar, they get better when you play them hard. When I rode with cyrano138 he showed some skills for a low hour rider, got to give the man some props on that one. With the miles he's throwing down, in a year he will have serious mad skills.

P5180469.jpgP3310421.jpgP9140012.jpg

All of these should be played HARD

... 90% of my riding has been surface streets ...
I suspect you're getting excellent mileage for your riding conditions. Every time we stop, we use gas while there at the stop sign or light. Every time we then accelerate, we use up more gas than we would've, had we been going a constant speed.

I get a MPG readout on my dash. I will start in the lower 50's after going about a mile and through numerous stop signs and lights on the way to the freeway. Once on the freeway, the MPG readout starts going up. My commute is 30 miles each way. The MPG readout will start to go up after a few miles, but doesn't really move much till I get about 15-20 miles down the freeway. Then it starts going up a lot to the mid-to-upper 60s. I think it takes it that long to make up for the numerous stops and idling on the way to the freeway.

The difference is that you don't get those long steady highway miles to make up for the city riding.

Chris

Last edited:
I think my Fuelly average is around 62 MPG. However, my commute is 1.5 miles to my first school, 4.5 miles to my second school, and 5.5 miles to my third school and then 4 miles home. I don't think this scenario is the best for exceptional mileage. However, I love the bike and look forward to the commute from school to school.

Last edited:
Since the cold temps are here, My ,mileage will drop considerably. The cold air and winterized fuel takes its toll.

My last tank from Cincinnati to Columbus & back I got just over 68 mpg. Back roads up and I slabbed it back home on I-71. I haven't had an average just around town or back road tank of fuel yet.

I have ridden through three full tanks. Juat over 57 on the first, 59 on the second and 60 on the third. 90% of my riding has been surface streets shifting at 3,000 or below. Usually no more than about 1/4 throttle on take offs or between shifts. Freeway speed is usually between 65 and 70.

I would love to see mileage like mentioned above, but I don't see what I could do different to get it.

There are a lot of factors that affect fuel economy like headwinds, tire pressure, load weight, and more, but those are smaller factors compared to the big three:

--shift points: I don't know exactly how you drive, but if you're cruising around at 3000 in anything but 6th, you're shifting too late. Try experimenting with following the recommended shift points a little more closely (I use the mph), at 12, 19, 25, 31, and 37.

--top speed: In a review I read, the author noted that the mpg's at 85 mph are 45. That's a massive decrease (36% down from 70 mpg's at 65 mph) for the extra 20 mph. Even 5 mph makes a big difference.

--acceleration: A lot of people seem to forget about the third one. Even if you're following the recommended shift points and your top speed is reasonable, you can be getting poor fuel economy if you crank the throttle at every light. If it feels like the engine is shuddering and chugging every time you shift, ease up on the throttle, especially in 6th. If you're like me you'll wind up accelerating more slowly than most of the traffic around you, but that's what you give up to get two or three (or seven in the case of the asshole in the Hummer) times the fuel economy that they're getting.

As for the city vs. highway suggestion above, I've found that the NC, just like my Fit, can get very similar mileage around town compared to highway mileage if it's driven properly. Granted, I mean suburban 'around town'. If you're commuting through downtown Manhattan or LA you're probably getting excellent mileage given the circumstances, just as Daboo said.

Take all that with a grain of salt and experiment with your driving style until you get what works for you. If you're already doing all that and still getting low mpg's, maybe consider trading in the NC for a Segway. :)

Last edited:
My last tank worked out to 70.37. I ride mostly around town and do about 30% of my traveling on the interstate. I generally shift around 5500 or when I hit the rev limiter if I forget that I can't spin 'er to 12 or 13 grand like the old bike, I never watch the tach I just shift when she feels like she's in the meat of the torque. I generally don't hit 6th gear below 45-50mph because it feels like its lugging the engine. I'm starting to adapt to the new way I need to ride, but I've never been one to baby a ride. To me a bike is like my guitar, they get better when you play them hard. When I rode with cyrano138 he showed some skills for a low hour rider, got to give the man some props on that one. With the miles he's throwing down, in a year he will have serious mad skills.

View attachment 1628View attachment 1629View attachment 1630

All of these should be played HARD

Thanks! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I feel like I'm coming into this with an advantage over the experienced riders because the NC really seems to be designed to be driven like a manual transmission car (when you're trying to max out your mpg's that is). Next time we'll try Manasota Key Rd. your way--at 70 mph. Let me just get my estate in order first.

By the way, those are nice instruments. I love the sound of the old Les Pauls, but I always hated playing them; I've got relatively narrow fingers, but they feel massive fumbling around on that tiny fret board.

I have noticed a trend of 65-70 mph for many people on the forum. I'm more 75-85 mph ... so my mpg on stock tires was 70 and w/ 2000 miles on my dirt heavy tread almost always 65 mpg. I not a lot of stop and go, mostly just go

For the love of all that's holy...I start a nice innocent thread about mileage, walk away for five minutes, and come back to a two-page flame war.

Here's some good, albeit unsolicited, advice for anyone who cares to listen: never argue on the internet--ever--no exceptions. There are no subjects worth breaking the rule for, and nothing good or useful ever comes from it when you do. Words to live by.

This forum could use some moderating.

I agree. One feature to be aware of is that under the "Settings" link at the top of the site page, you can build an Ignore List of certain member(s) of your choice that might tend to frequently go off on tangents to the original topic.

Greg

Every time I try to "push my button" I wind up canceling my turn signals, whether they need it or not. :)

Sorry guys, just trying to lighten the mood a little. Hopefully everyone can resolve their differences and move on.

WGW

I have over 5,000 on my bike. I ride 43 miles to work one way and get around 67 mpg and thats doing 75 to 80mph on I-40 to Nashville,TN. It gets better when i stay out of the hammer lane but thats hard to do.

Back