• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Really hot. Do you you ride?

PapaC

Reaction score
Visit site
Predicted temps here in the greater Seattle area are in the 99-100 degree range for a few days. Hard to keep cool on the bike in those temps. Especially if you want to wear any protective gear at all. I'm going to park it, and drive the cage, and it's AC till it cools back down a little. Am I wimping out? Curious what some of you do?

Predicted temps here in the greater Seattle area are in the 99-100 degree range for a few days. Hard to keep cool on the bike in those temps. Especially if you want to wear any protective gear at all. I'm going to park it, and drive the cage, and it's AC till it cools back down a little. Am I wimping out? Curious what some of you do?
No I'm with you, in theory at least. I'm on my motorcycle but I'd rather be in the cage for
82c2ca4a4dd1e81699f21983f5b7a2f2.jpg

I was actually thinking it was odd I saw more motorcycles commuting today then I have in weeks. I start at 430 (in Morgan Hill) but today for work I doubled back and kept going to Fresno and that was during normal commute hours and I saw 10 motorcycles compared to the usual 1 or 2. I hope they stay cool on the way home. Riding in heat like that is the same as riding drunk

Last edited:
I quit riding when it hits the mid 80s (F). If it's sunny, anything over 80*F is definitely uncomfortable. To me, nothing ruins a ride more than becoming overheated (or frozen). My ideal riding day is heavy overcast clouds, 60-65*F, no wind. I'm pretty much a spring and fall season rider. Looking forward to the end of summer!

Last year I skipped a lot of hot days. I recently bought a new mesh jacket (Alpinestars Cape Town Air) and the airflow is amazing - like I am wearing nothing but a T-Shirt...

But, that is only at speed. On a few days I have avoided taking the bike to work due to stop and go commuting but it hasn't stopped me riding in the evenings.

Wear the right gear, stay hydrated and take breaks in the shade.

I quit riding when it hits the mid 80s (F). If it's sunny, anything over 80*F is definitely uncomfortable. My ideal riding day is heavy overcast clouds, 60-65*F, no wind. I'm pretty much a spring and fall season rider. Looking forward to the end of summer!
Yes that's perfect for wearing gear and being comfortable. This morning at 3 it felt like I could have ridden to work in shorts and a t-shirt, it was almost 80 with high winds on the pass (per usual)

I'm old and retired now, so I can choose which days to ride.
If it's going to be that hot we usually do an early morning ride trying to be home around 12.
We did take a ride to Tahoe a few weeks ago and got there about 10:30, we left for home around noon.
We have to come back through the Sacramento valley to get home and temps were running 108º - 110º.
It was not fun so we rarely do it.

I'll ride any day I can. In Ohio, winter is so long that you have to go out in heat!
Also Heat doesn't bother me too much. Just try to keep moving if I can.

I ride for fun on weekend and vacation days. I think it is all in what you are used to as far as heat and cold go. It's hot and humid in Florida and I can and do ride all year round. Technical apparel, wicking underlayers, wetting neck gaiters, etc., are part of hot weather riding.

I can ride comfortably in mesh gear up to about 93.
The problem is if I am making stops, running errands, or sitting in traffic. Then it is Toyota time.
As long as it is a continuous ride, say on lightly trafficked rural roads, the low 90s is ok.

I've ridden in 100 degree weather, but I prefer to stop at about 95. I'm ok as long as I have water and keep my skin covered to protect from the sun, and pay attention to my body and energy level. I tolerate heat better than I used to.

No I'm with you, in theory at least. I'm on my motorcycle but I'd rather be in the cage for
82c2ca4a4dd1e81699f21983f5b7a2f2.jpg

I was actually thinking it was odd I saw more motorcycles commuting today then I have in weeks. I start at 430 (in Morgan Hill) but today for work I doubled back and kept going to Fresno and that was during normal commute hours and I saw 10 motorcycles compared to the usual 1 or 2. I hope they stay cool on the way home. Riding in heat like that is the same as riding drunk

I was just in your area visiting friends from so cal! Fresno was hot!!

I ride in so cal no matter how hot since my nc700x is my only mode of transportation. It's not too bad on the freeway but it's when I get off and have to stop at red lights that I get hot. My commute is only 40 min so I just get hot by the time I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just in your area visiting friends from so cal! Fresno was hot!!

I ride in so cal no matter how hot since my nc700x is my only mode of transportation. It's not too bad on the freeway but it's when I get off and have to stop at red lights that I get hot. My commute is only 40 min so I just get hot by the time I get home.

My commute home is usually about an hour and fifteen but today I'm thinking it'll be longer
d3c9bba5624d12763f46cf0b1373c590.jpg

I was heading back to work (west bound on 152) and saw this on the east bound side just before dinosaur point, that was at 1545, traffic was starting to back up. I'm punching out at 1730 today so hopefully it's cleared up and it's just the usual traffic

Last edited:
When I first started riding, many years ago, I knew somebody who used to tell me,
"When I was in my 30's, I'd ride if it was in the 30's,
When I was in my 40's, I'd ride if it was in the 40's,
When I was in my 50's, I'd ride if it was in the 50's,
Now that I'm in my 60's, I'll ride if it was in the 60's"

That has always stuck with me.

about a month ago we had a week of 110's down here in southern AZ. My commute is only 7 miles in town. I rode the NX or my trusty NX250 every day.

i can handle the heat as long as I'm able to keep moving (lots of vents and lots of mesh). Sitting in traffic like we have in Seattle and Olympia these days, I truly regret buying a black helmet. The next one will be white.
>T

I ride when I feel like it. If its hot, I do the little things, like wet bandanas, extra water, etc. Humidity is more of a problem.
I was out in Utah/Col. last summer in some 100 degree days. I prefer that to a 90 degree high humidity day here in the south.

Was 87 here today. My commute is only 25 minutes. Half on the highway. It is warm on the ride home so I start on the highway where I get good airflow, the last half is ok as long as traffic flows. I get "moist" if I hit too many lights. It's is tolerable but the gear comes off pretty fast when I get home :)

Lived in Arizona for several years. Rode to Sky Harbor airport (Phoenix) from Paradise Valley, AZ just about every day and to ASU in Tempe. Even when it was 122 deg F (!).

Moved to Maine and rode to Key West several times each February and December. Even when it was 9 deg F

ATGATT except for <once> while in Ciudad Juarez, MX when it was about 107 with what seemed like 100 percent humidity. Had to take off the Aerostich Darien before I passed out ;-)

Cages are for sissies ;-)

Back