• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Really, REALLY dumb questions: dash and exhaust

Reaction score
Visit site
Really, REALLY dumb questions: dash and exhaust *NEW QUESTIONS*

OK, so I have 2 really simplistic questions for ya.

1: how the hell does the dash work? Ive read the manual, fiddled with it all, and now I cant figure out how the day/date thing is formatted and how i reset the trip meter. I thought i had it on automatic but i filled up today and nothing, still shows the last trip readings.

2: Is there some kind of exhaust valve? the bike seems really loud/grumbly on startup, but quiets down after a fashion (i know it warms up), but it seems theres some kind of "noise valve" in there.

thanks all, i def need an idiots guide to the dash tho.

Last edited:
1) Sorry, I don’t have a 2016, so I can’t help.

2) There is no exhaust valve or design feature that intentionally makes the engine loud or grumbly on startup. The valves are probably looser when the engine is cold, and the clutch can rattle if the transmission is in neutral.

Not sure what year ya have but my 2013 NC and 2015 CTX both work the same. Hold the right button down when the trip odometer is on A or B (which ever one you want to reset) and it should go to 0.0 after a few seconds. (I do this after every fill-up to gauge my gas mileage!)

As for setting the clock, I believe it's holding both buttons down while in "N" (or when the engine is off but the electrics are on), then using the left side(?) to toggle through the "Hour"/"Minute". When one mode is blinking use the right button to count up to the number you want. Once set, just leave it for a few seconds and it should lock the time in.

***I may have the buttons reversed to change the time and am/pm.

The only way I've been able to consistantly set the dash is by running through the sequences with the manual in my hand. I couldn't be bothered setting the the trip to automatic- one reason being I record my mileage on the gas receipt when filling up and I don't want it to reset before I have the trip readings written down. But it could be worse, on my Camry the info-tainment center manual is twice the size of the actual car manual, and it took me 3 years and random chance to find out it has some voice activated controls...

[...the only way I've been able to consistantly set the dash is by running through the sequences with the manual in my hand...on my Camry the info-tainment center manual is twice the size of the actual car manual, and it took me 3 years and random chance to find out it has some voice activated controls...]

I'm the same way with resetting the time on my NC with owner's manual in hand. And I just now learned how to put certain FM stations into the "preset" category on my 2016 Accord but it took two good techie pals. The local Honda auto dealer was of no help and my guess is that dealership techs are just as bewildered by the infotainment screens!

ps. the biggest complaint against new cars, regardless of the brand, in the infotainment system. I recall one year, Mercedes "improved" their car by eliminating 250 functions from the in-dash screen!

Maybe this is 2016+ specific but the year format looks to be different from the standard used in the US.
I think it shows the year, then the month and day.
Today would say 180210

I always keep my display showing my MPG and Trip A. I reset Trip B after each chain lube.

OK i got the dash mostly figured, altho the auto reset doesnt seem to be doing its job (no big) and the exhaust is def louder for a second or 2 on startup but it could just be higher rpms

So, new questions:

1, i've had a few linked braking systems on bikes and was wondering how this one worked? On the last couple, it was: Grab front, you get both brakes. Grab rear, you get only rear and if you hit rear first THEN front, you had full control independently. thoughts on the NC700x?

2, does the '16 have the "Extra storage" since i dont have the vents?

3, suggestions for rear hugger and front fender extensions?

4, horn (not an air horn) and headlight upgrade? the headlight seems nice but i like LED and ive seen a couple LED replacements on eBay that have the shutter. just thinking out loud on this one.

5, on my FJ09 that came with LED tail light, someone made an aftermarket version that i could make blink in varying patterns upon braking. Does anyone make similar for the 700x? The more i can be seen, the better

Default- your signature states you have the X. The manual versions (X) of the bike don't have linked brakes-I am not sure if the 2016 DCT versions still had the linked brakes or not. You do have the slightly larger (by 1 litre) frunk.

1, i've had a few linked braking systems on bikes and was wondering how this one worked? On the last couple, it was: Grab front, you get both brakes. Grab rear, you get only rear and if you hit rear first THEN front, you had full control independently. thoughts on the NC700x?
Only the DCT have linked brakes. And yes, it works like that.

I don't know what "Extra storage" you're talking about. But the frunk is bigger than previous year versions.

If you're doing street, Id say front. If you're doing off-road, rear and a radiator guard.

4, horn (not an air horn) and headlight upgrade? the headlight seems nice but i like LED and ive seen a couple LED replacements on eBay that have the shutter. just thinking out loud on this one.
I don't do much riding at night. But I have read about aftermarket headlight and horn upgrades. I don't have an opinion either way.

5, on my FJ09 that came with LED tail light, someone made an aftermarket version that i could make blink in varying patterns upon braking. Does anyone make similar for the 700x? The more i can be seen, the better
I haven't seen a blinking mod but I have seen some riders add additional lights, especially if they have a top box that they can wire up. One guy had a really sweet setup where the lights would come one when he hit the brakes and if he was stopped for too long, it would cascade to insure that he was seen from behind.

I think combined breaking was one piston of the front brake activated by the break pedal. So actually using the brake lever was applying front only (two out of three pistons) and the break pedal applying front (one out of 3) and rear break.

I think combined breaking was one piston of the front brake activated by the break pedal. So actually using the brake lever was applying front only (two out of three pistons) and the break pedal applying front (one out of 3) and rear break.

That’s the way it worked in 2012 and 2013, but the US 2016 NC700X DCT has a two piston front caliper.

And no combined breaking anymore from what I saw.

But I may be wrong as I am used to European models.

And no combined breaking anymore from what I saw.

But I may be wrong as I am used to European models.

I have a hunch it's still combined braking on 2014+ NC700X, but it's done within the ABS unit. But I am not familiar enough with it to confirm or explain it, since I don't have it on my NC.

I just browsed through the manual for my 2016 NC700XD DCT and didn't see anything about combined brakes.
Is there a way to tell if your bike has this or not from looking at it?

BTW- I also saw this thing about programming in a "opening or closing message" on the display.
Has anyone done that?

Just guessing - but isn’t the 2016 DCT ABS only - which automatically means no brake linking?

Last edited:
BTW- I also saw this thing about programming in a "opening or closing message" on the display.
Has anyone done that?

Yes. Being in IT and liking sci-fi mine simply says "Hello Fez" and "Goodbye Fez". If I could have it say out loud "Hello Fez, you're looking well today" I would!! Also, for the automatic trip reset, it doesn't take effect until you pull away from the gas station (< 0.1 mile). This is great for getting back on the bike and starting it up and being able to check the mileage to enter into Fuelly before heading back on the road.

OK i got the dash mostly figured, altho the auto reset doesnt seem to be doing its job (no big) and the exhaust is def louder for a second or 2 on startup but it could just be higher rpms

So, new questions:

2> No
3> The front fender extender is a straight forward accessory that most agree with, just the fastening method differs. A quick search on this forum should give you all of the details... For the rear I went with a Skidmarx, see this thread - Installed the Givi Chain Guard
4> I went with a Denali Soundbomb mini because it didn't involve anything other than disconnecting the OEM and connecting the new one. Anything louder will require wiring and a relay.
5> I went with the Admore light bar to provide an addition tail light with initial flashing (modulation), progressive turn signals, and built-in ability to put the brake lights on when it senses me slowing when down shifting without brakes - Rear/Tail brake lights installation questions

Yes. Being in IT and liking sci-fi mine simply says "Hello Fez" and "Goodbye Fez". If I could have it say out loud "Hello Fez, you're looking well today" I would!! Also, for the automatic trip reset, it doesn't take effect until you pull away from the gas station (< 0.1 mile). This is great for getting back on the bike and starting it up and being able to check the mileage to enter into Fuelly before heading back on the road.

Hi Fez! So what's the procedure for changing the message???

Back