• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Brake Technique

Dan German

Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly that. I am a long-time rider (50+years), but I have never had A) an ABS motorcycle and 2) anything with Combined Braking. I have ridden the NC700SA that I have bought, but only for an afternoon. In my riding experience, the rear brake was only to be used when needed on pavement. On dirt, it’s another story. But I made a point of using the rear to try out the CBS, and it seemed incredibly useful. Does anyone have any tips on how to best apply the CBS when you’re used to front first, rear when required? (Let’s not get into the story about how overuse/ misuse of the rear brake last Canada Day caused the first an only broken bone of my motorcycle career.)

I believe on your model the rear and front are linked. That means when you apply the rear brake pedal, it applies the rear brake and one of the pistons for the front brake. My recommendation would be to apply the rear brake in situations that you would normally apply it in. The front brake does not control the rear. Hope that helps.

I believe on your module the rear and front are linked. That means when you apply the rear brake pedal, it applies the rear brake and one of the pistons for the front brake. My recommendation would be to apply the rear brake in situations that you would normally apply it in. The front brake does not control the rear. Hope that helps.
Yeah, I tried it while testing out the bike. I could feel the “rear first, a bit of front” when I did it. I get the feeling that I will use the rear more often in traffic than I used to. Especially with the ABS, it seems like a more useful speed adjustment than an old-school non-ABS rear brake.

In my experience the rear brake is very useful on pavement and I use it all the time in combination with the front and I urge all riders to do as well. There are a variety of reasons why rear brake is important but I'll not to go into detail here and hijack the thread but I'll delve into one reason relevant to the thread topic. Applying rear brake a nanosecond before the front settles the suspension and reduces front end dive when the weight transfer from the front brake compresses the fork. Honda incorporates a delay valve in the CBS to help riders get rear pressure before pressure to the front comes into play. Noting that the NC's CBS system links the foot pedal to the front brake and not front lever to rear if we don't use the rear brake we don't get the benefit of CBS. Many riders don't use the rear brake on the street at all but on a bike like the NC that is giving up a lot of braking power and the finesse it provides when setting corner entry speed with trail braking. The NC has a long wheelbase and a low center of gravity, two factors that act to reduce rear wheel lift under heavy braking so there is less worry about lifting the rear contact patch off the ground or skidding the tire (for non-ABS bikes). The rear brake may still develop 20% of braking under heavy braking and not using that 20% significantly lengthens stopping distance.

Regarding ABS, IMO it's a safety net in the background and not a tool to consciously use while braking. To become good and safe riders we should all learn and practice practice practice braking to the limit of traction no matter if the bike has ABS or not.

I prefer engine breaking and giving a tap to the front or rear to let the driver behind know I'm slowing. I do find the rear is better than on other bikes though, especially around town.

I prefer engine breaking and giving a tap to the front or rear to let the driver behind know I'm slowing. I do find the rear is better than on other bikes though, especially around town.
Yes, that’s what I’m finding as well. At moderate speeds, when “speed adjustment” beyond just engine braking is all that’s required, rather than actual braking (if you follow my meaning), the C-ABS as applied by the pedal is just what’s needed. On a bike without combined braking, I would rarely if ever have applied my rear brake first, at least on pavement.

Also, slow speed work in traffic etc, I'll use the rear brake. I hate seeing people diving the front at low speeds. Use the rear for low speed and it is all smoother. All according to conditions of course.
A lot of us that learned before abs etc are very leary of using the rear in case of lock up. Modern bikes are a bit more forgiving I have found.

The use of rear brake is very relevant when doing low speed U turns too. It prevents the front forks from pogo-sticking and keeps the front tyre more stable, balancing throttle, clutch (if you have one) and rear brake to execute a smooth manoeuvre.
Low speed U turns are an important part of the test here so we have to learn how to use the rear brake for that.

Back