• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recall (not Total) Notice!!

TechiePilot

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
;)
Finally!!
I was beginning to wonder about the 'Recall Notification System'. A few days ago, I received a very official looking envelope with the word HONDA in bright red printed in 60-point font (which is what they should have used to stencil the name on the bike), informing me that a recall notice was issued. If repairs/replacement was processed before Oct 15th, please send them a copy of the bill etc etc or take it to a Honda facility for service...

What has been your experience?

Is the notice for the chain recall?
If it is, look at the links on your chain. If they have DID and Japan or RK and Japan stamped on the side plates, the chain is OK. if you only have RK (no links stamped with Japan), Honda will replace your chain. No matter which chain you have, it is best to take it to the dealer and have them document that the recall has been completed for your bike. By the way, if this IS for the chain, and if your chain is one that requires replacement, it would not be a bad thing to contact the dealer before you take it in and see if they have a replacement chain in stock. They will normally want to keep the bike until a new chain is installed.
If the notice you got is for something other than the chain, disregard everything I just wrote.

Bob

Like Spaceteach says, call the dealer, let them know which stamping is on your chain. Let them order a chain and make an appointment to have it done when the chain arrives. (otherwise you'll be without a bike) I still think it's odd a Honda dealership doesn't have chains on hand for a motorcycle they sell. The whole process was about a 30 minute wait.

I had the recall done the day after it was announced on here. Checked with the dealer and they had been notified and ordered a chain the same day. I have. Not received a letter yet.

Yesterday, I received the official Honda Recall letter to bring in the bike for chain checking.
My model is R63 and it is impacted.
They say half a day.
:(

Is it only the chain which needs to be changed?
Mine is already a DID made in Japan. What chain will be used as a replacement?

They will not replace your chain. They only have to replace non Japan RK chains. In your case, since your bike is not affected, they will just want you to bring it to the dealer so they can verify the chain is good and document that they did the recall.

Bob

They will not replace your chain. They only have to replace non Japan RK chains. In your case, since your bike is not affected, they will just want you to bring it to the dealer so they can verify the chain is good and document that they did the recall.

Bob

I'd bet they DO change my chain, even if it is "ok".
Why?

In Switzerland, individual time is very precious.
If there is a recall, the garage owner is more inclined to change it to a new part, because

1. The owner has already spent time to come, he should not come and go empty handed
2. The bike is already there, it is better to change it rather than miss it and then get more trouble
3. The garage actually will make a small sum from the labour

I may be wrong, but I think the chain will be changed tomorrow. I will let you know.
:D

Happy,
Sorry, I was posting feedback based on my experience in the USA. Please let us know how they accomplish the recall in Switzerland.
Thanks,

Bob

Had the recall a week last Friday, booked it in for 9.00am last Friday. Thunder Rd. replaced the chain and I left about 10.15am....job done.

I bought my NC in mid October. It had a good chain on it. Hopefully this is something that the newer buyers don't have to worry about.

I bought my NC in mid October. It had a good chain on it. Hopefully this is something that the newer buyers don't have to worry about.

They shouldn't. I bought mine the last week of September and they wouldn't release the bike until the chain was confirmed OK.

trey

Nothing is perfect, the last time I checked.
Honda, being Honda, have the decency to execute a recall.
It is like admitting an error has occurred and that they are willing to put it right.
:)

New bikes don't mean no errors, like old bikers don't mean they are good NOR right.

Nothing is perfect, the last time I checked.
Honda, being Honda, have the decency to execute a recall.
It is like admitting an error has occurred and that they are willing to put it right.
:)

New bikes don't mean no errors, like old bikers don't mean they are good NOR right.

Oh you do like your little digs don't you :)

Last edited:
The NC had it's first service today, (600 mile/100km) and they replaced the chain under guarantee as part of the recall. I thought the original one looked a bit odd as it was silver coloured and looked like it had not seen any oil, ( it was coated with grease though). Now it looks all black and oily :)

Back