• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Information Redneck fairings

Stretch

Reaction score
Visit site
First posting, so apologies if images don’t show properly…

My previous bike spoiled me with quality wind-protection (2013 Triumph Trophy SE). Since getting a 2020 NC750XD this spring, I’ve toyed with ideas for ways to make this bike more liveable. After coming across a random YouTube video of a V-Strom owner doing something similar, I duct-tapped some cardboard onto the crash bars and was pleasantly surprised. Then I went out shopping for cheap parts.

An 8ft sheet of plexiglass was on clearance for $30Cdn and made this much less stressful knowing I had scrap if I messed up. The rest is basic parts from HomeDepot. I love the wingnuts for simple adjustments. If tightened just right, you can tweak the “fairing” angles while riding.

Results:

Much cleaner air and have only found helmet buffeting in the worst side winds.

Over a 3000km trip in the hottest part of summer, they did great at keeping the bugs off the legs. However, they also caused less wind along the engine to pull the heat away. This made for some moments of toastiness. I kept them at sharp angles (just barely deflecting winds) during the worst heat and it was bearable, and could rotate them for more protection as needed (did I mention grasshoppers?). My riding buddy had his 2015 Goldwing and made me switch for an hour as he, and I, thought it would convert me to the world of the Wing. It actually made me more impressed with my bike. Although mine was a slight bit louder, we both agreed that my air seemed “cleaner.” I actually wonder if his screen was set too low.

Now for the best part. Fall and winter rides. What a huge difference. My legs stay warm and I have much less cold air finding its way to my precious parts. Less rough air coming up from the crash bars also means much less cold attempting to enter the bottom of the helmet.

As I was already used to the fuel mileage with the crash bars, I haven’t noticed much difference in mileage.

For reference: Crash bars are GP Kompozit

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6934.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6933.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
First posting, so apologies if images don’t show properly…

My previous bike spoiled me with quality wind-protection (2013 Triumph Trophy SE). Since getting a 2020 NC750XD this spring, I’ve toyed with ideas for ways to make this bike more liveable. After coming across a random YouTube video of a V-Strom owner doing something similar, I duct-tapped some cardboard onto the crash bars and was pleasantly surprised. Then I went out shopping for cheap parts.

An 8ft sheet of plexiglass was on clearance for $30Cdn and made this much less stressful knowing I had scrap if I messed up. The rest is basic parts from HomeDepot. I love the wingnuts for simple adjustments. If tightened just right, you can tweak the “fairing” angles while riding.

Results:

Much cleaner air and have only found helmet buffeting in the worst side winds.

Over a 3000km trip in the hottest part of summer, they did great at keeping the bugs off the legs. However, they also caused less wind along the engine to pull the heat away. This made for some moments of toastiness. I kept them at sharp angles (just barely deflecting winds) during the worst heat and it was bearable, and could rotate them for more protection as needed (did I mention grasshoppers?). My riding buddy had his 2015 Goldwing and made me switch for an hour as he, and I, thought it would convert me to the world of the Wing. It actually made me more impressed with my bike. Although mine was a slight bit louder, we both agreed that my air seemed “cleaner.” I actually wonder if his screen was set too low.

Now for the best part. Fall and winter rides. What a huge difference. My legs stay warm and I have much less cold air finding its way to my precious parts. Less rough air coming up from the crash bars also means much less cold attempting to enter the bottom of the helmet.

As I was already used to the fuel mileage with the crash bars, I haven’t noticed much difference in mileage.

For reference: Crash bars are GP Kompozit
Pretty clever! Thanks for sharing this.

Are the clamps or pipe straps found in electrical conduit supplies aisle of Home Depot? And where did the spacers under the straps come from? I’ve often been tempted to try to fab up similar wind deflectors and yours look very trim.

On the 30 mile ride home after purchasing the bike I decided it needed a better, bigger fairing. The bike was new enough that there weren't very many options available. I saw an ad on FB for an old Vetter Quicksilver full fairing for a Honda 750-four for $50. I went and looked at it and the fiberglass fairing was cracked and holed. The windshield was in good shape. I bought it for $20. I mounted it using the NC750X OEM bracket, longer bolts, and rubber gromits for the windshield as spacers to keep it off the OEM fairing. I cut it up on a band saw, polished up the cuts with a Dremel and sand paper. It has held up well for 25K miles. It is as tall as it looks. I sit pretty upright when riding and I normally look over it when riding, but I can also hunker down behind it.

IMG_0706 (1).jpg

Are the clamps or pipe straps found in electrical conduit supplies aisle of Home Depot? And where did the spacers under the straps come from? I’ve often been tempted to try to fab up similar wind deflectors and yours look very trim.
Yes on the clamps. Basic electrical conduit. For the spacing, I truly went hillbilly and cut up appropriate sizes from a spare bicycle tire. It had a nice thickness and great grip.

On the 30 mile ride home after purchasing the bike I decided it needed a better, bigger fairing. The bike was new enough that there weren't very many options available. I saw an ad on FB for an old Vetter Quicksilver full fairing for a Honda 750-four for $50. I went and looked at it and the fiberglass fairing was cracked and holed. The windshield was in good shape. I bought it for $20. I mounted it using the NC750X OEM bracket, longer bolts, and rubber gromits for the windshield as spacers to keep it off the OEM fairing. I cut it up on a band saw, polished up the cuts with a Dremel and sand paper. It has held up well for 25K miles. It is as tall as it looks. I sit pretty upright when riding and I normally look over it when riding, but I can also hunker down behind it.

View attachment 53311
That is a monster windscreen. I bought sliders for mine and tried no screen and multiple adjustments of stock and adventure shield. No shield was awesome apart from the bugs. My current set-up was my favourite, but the crash bar shields did more to clean the air than any attempts on the windscreen.
I think the width at the bottom of yours would be quite good. You reminded me that I definitely need to dremel/sandpaper my shield edges. They are currently nasty sharp.

Back