• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding the Webb, helmet cam

Cutter J. Duke

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There aren't many curvy roads around here, but we have the road along Webb lake. It's not the tail of the dragon, but I call it the tail of the possum because there are plenty to run over if you don't keep your eyes open. It gets tighter as you approch the back of the lake and you have to watch for traffic because most of the good corners are blind.

[video=youtube_share;5-5YJXHet2I]http://youtu.be/5-5YJXHet2I[/video]

Last edited:
I'm startong to envy you guys on that side of the pond and your great riding roads

On many of our roads in UK we have a higher speed limit so each side of the pond has positives and negatives.

Nice video CJ

On many of our roads in UK we have a higher speed limit so each side of the pond has positives and negatives.

Nice video CJ
With the exception of motorways most of our roads will soon be reduced to 50MPH or less. Many of the 60MPH roads are being reduced to 50MPH. In one extreme case near here a normal 2 lane road with a 60MPH limit was upgraded to duel carrigeway but the limit was reduced to 50MPH

With the exception of motorways most of our roads will soon be reduced to 50MPH or less. Many of the 60MPH roads are being reduced to 50MPH. In one extreme case near here a normal 2 lane road with a 60MPH limit was upgraded to duel carrigeway but the limit was reduced to 50MPH
Do they reduce speeds based on facts that show the road would be safer at lower speed or is there another reason?

Q. How many kilometres or miles of road are there in Great Britain?
A. In January 2001 Ordnance Survey calculated that the following kilometres (miles) of road existed in Great Britain: motorways - 4 353 km (2 705.41 miles). A Roads - 48 164 km (29 934.12 miles). B Roads - 30 216 km (18 779.37 miles). minor public roads - 314 392 km (195 395.89 miles). pedestrianised streets - 278 km (172.78 miles).

and are they all policed? certainly not.
why worry it'll be mostly car drivers that will be frustrated stuck behind one another.
us we'll just sail past them all at our leisure
chewie.gif

Do they reduce speeds based on facts that show the road would be safer at lower speed or is there another reason?

That is the excuse that they use but then how far do you go. Should we return to the days of having a man with a red flag walking in front of everyone. how can a normal road be safe at 60 (never saw an accident on it in all my years of commuting on it) yet when it's made into a duel carrigeway (their limit is normaly 70 in UK) needs to be reduced to 50. of course there is always the point that the government can make more revenue as the lower the limit outside of built up areas the more chance of people exceeding the limit

When they did that en masse here in the '70s it was under the guise of fuel savings. Very, very shortly, however, it became about revenue as radar guns were employed to issue citations (civil penalties or fines) to people violating the new lower limits. It's not that citations weren't issued previously, but it became big business about this time. Now states, counties, and municipalities are _heavily_ dependent upon the revenue generated from speed enforcement. Frequently, the engineering studies either say the speed limits should be much higher on these roads, or else they modify the criteria used to generate the engineering studies to suit the speed limits preferred.

I know that you used to have the double nickle limit ( I think thats what you called it) but what is the typical limit on roads out of built up areas? lso what is the highest limit in the US? In UK its 70 MPH

I know that you used to have the double nickle limit ( I think thats what you called it) but what is the typical limit on roads out of built up areas? lso what is the highest limit in the US? In UK its 70 MPH

It varies from state to state. In Oregon the interstate limit is 65. But in other states it will be 70 or 75. On 2 lane highways it will be 55 or 60. In congested urban areas it also fluctuates between 55 or 60, although most drivers violate this regularly. Over the past few years I've noticed more sections of our scenic coastal highway 101 being lowered to 45. I figure someone who lives along that section probably complained about the higher speed and got it lowered. The squeaky wheel, you know.

Over the years I have noticed that speed in our coastal region really isn't an advantage. Often I'll have someone blow by me in a passing lane and disappear around the next curve. Then, low and behold, miles down the road I come up right behind them at the next town. They may have the thrill of going fast, but they actually don't save any time.

It must be very confusing having all these different rules from State to State. I understand that bike that may be leagal in one state could be illeagal in another. I rember reading some years ago how a chopper rider got a ticket for having bars that were too high yet back in his home state they were OK

It must be very confusing having all these different rules from State to State. I understand that bike that may be leagal in one state could be illeagal in another. I rember reading some years ago how a chopper rider got a ticket for having bars that were too high yet back in his home state they were OK

It can be a pain for some. The US has different helmet laws in most states and California has different requirements on clean air. We used to end up with what they called 49 state bikes because California had to have it's own model. Now they just make all of them meet California standards. The main difference between states if the licensing requirements. Some states like Florida require a basic rider course be completed while some, like Kentucky when I got mine there, just gave it to you for a few dollars extra. They never even asked if I had ever rode before. Handle bar hight and headlight height, tire width and reflector requirements, etc are all set by the states legislature. They have a tendency to make laws that make their voters (mostly older Americans are the consistent voter) feel good, whether it makes sense or not.

Last edited:
The thought that somebody can get a bike licence that easily is frightening especially when considering hoops that new riders have to through here with several tests and graded licences. I really do not understand the new rules as they are so complex

In Arizona the interstates are posted at 75 miles per hour, except inside city (there they are 65 or 55). Most other roads are 65, but again there are exceptions due to engineering of the roads.

Years ago some states had a speed limit of "reasonable and proper" we used to call it "safe and sane" . If you came over a rise and could see for a 100 miles and you wanted to do 120... is it safe? is it sane?
it was fun! ed

In Arizona the interstates are posted at 75 miles per hour, except inside city (there they are 65 or 55). Most other roads are 65, but again there are exceptions due to engineering of the roads.

Years ago some states had a speed limit of "reasonable and proper" we used to call it "safe and sane" . If you came over a rise and could see for a 100 miles and you wanted to do 120... is it safe? is it sane?
it was fun! ed

The latter part sounds good to me. I really think that variable spped limits are a good idea. We have them on some of our motorways but of course they only reduce it from the standard of 70MPH and never increase it. Surely with todays bikes and cars ( Limit was introduced way back in the 60s) on a deserted motorway late at night in good weather conditions sppeds in excess of 70MPH should be acceptable

Back