• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sargent Seat, Pre-Registering NC700X for Seat Development

On my stock seat I needed to careful to start the bolts correctly and or they would begin to cross thread. I chased mine with a tap twice.........I think the threads are getting worn.........they were never designed for repeated use and my seat has been on and off 50 times. I also replaced one of the bolts due to the first couple threads were less than perfect after this repeated use (abuse).

My Sargent was tight against the "tank" but since I added the slope fix back in there is a large gap but that fit compromise is worth it to me to gain more "anti front slope". I did not notice any noise or wear with the original fit but I did not use it long in that position.

Last edited:
We both have SW Motech Racks

Production must NOT be uniform. I had none of those problems. The bolts all lined up. it fits pretty snugly, and it feels very good.
If you notice in the postings,Greg and I both have SW Motech racks installed on our bikes. The extra height provided by the rack and grab rails reduces the clearance for the Sargent seat mounting hole alignment. When you try and line up the seat mounting holes to the mounting nuts on the bike, they just do not line up sufficiently to get the threads started. Unless you want to cross thread. The side skirts on the Sargent seat are just too long at the rear of the seat. If you compare the rear side skirts of the OEM seat and the Sargent, the Sargent's are much longer. For wider range of acceptance, the Sargent seat pan needs to be modified.

If you notice in the postings,Greg and I both have SW Motech racks installed on our bikes. The extra height provided by the rack and grab rails reduces the clearance for the Sargent seat mounting hole alignment. When you try and line up the seat mounting holes to the mounting nuts on the bike, they just do not line up sufficiently to get the threads started. Unless you want to cross thread. The side skirts on the Sargent seat are just too long at the rear of the seat. If you compare the rear side skirts of the OEM seat and the Sargent, the Sargent's are much longer. For wider range of acceptance, the Sargent seat pan needs to be modified.

Yup. That's the deal. Thing is, the stock seat works with the Motech rack, and even works with the Motech rack shimmed up with a washer. A Givi rack would cause the same issue, so Sargent needs to deal with aftermarket luggage, being that's it quite common.

The Seat Concepts fit with the Motech rack, so there . .

Sent Sargent an email. No response today.

Last edited:
yes. 'got the message at breakfast, so work eight hours then home to take pictures!

Ok... Pictures...
First... the logo... (who cares, but seems a good intro...)
IMG_1269.jpg

Left side of bike, side view of seat...
IMG_1270.jpg

and now, lets stand over the hanlebars, face the rear of the bike, and shoot down at the seat to see how well it meshes with the Frunk.
First the left view... (left side doesn't sit as flush to the Frunk as the right does, but it's acceptable.)
IMG_1271.jpg

then the right side from above...
IMG_1272.jpg

OK.. How about a top down view...
IMG_1273.jpg

finishing with the side view of the Right side of the seat.
(I was reluctant to include this as it's backlit with California sun)
IMG_1274.jpg

Overall, it looks pretty good and feels good too.

Honestly... I think my ideal seat would be to take the stock, uncover it, take out a center strip of the foam back to front, and then put the Bill Mayer Ergo seat pad (uncovered) in the gap. Secure all the foam pads so they don't move (glue?), then have the local leather guy recover it neatly.

The dish I'm looking to create is visible and has a round edge around it that would stick up and support.
It would not be "sporty", "cool", or even especially attractive... but I wouldn't care... as I am none of those things either!
In short, it would look like the Russel Day Long Seat.... which I will never own because it's just too darned expensive!
RDL_NC700X.jpg

Last edited:
Strat,

Superb photography! Your camera does an excellent Macro BTW!

Your definitely fits better than mine did. The right ear looks a little loose like mine bit overall yours fits different than mine did so my impression is there does appear to be a variance in manufacturing. Hope they get the fitment issues addressed with mine and it fits the bike like the stock one does.

Thank you for taking those photos.

Craig

Strat,

Superb photography! Your camera does an excellent Macro BTW!

Your definitely fits better than mine did. The right ear looks a little loose like mine bit overall yours fits different than mine did so my impression is there does appear to be a variance in manufacturing. Hope they get the fitment issues addressed with mine and it fits the bike like the stock one does.

Thank you for taking those photos.

Craig

You're most welcome. I wonder if they (Sargent) follow boards like this? hmmm.....

the camera I use for close up stuff is a Canon A1000 IS. $44 used from Amazon. It's also what I use to make video.
(just in case someone cares.)
a1000.JPG

Sorry everone is having so much trouble with their seats. Mine bolted up with no more difficulty than the stock seat, started a few threads with 1st bolt then lined up the holes for the 2nd and that was it. It fits snug, haven't notice a squeek. Commute daily to work and a few 100 mile plus rides, but nothing loner yet and constantly amazed at the difference in comfort from the stock seat, However, I did put some Rox 2 risers at the same time which with the seat totally changed my position. So far along with the risers this has been the best improvment yet, update you after a longer ride if anything changes. One thought, if after the money I spent would I say anything different ? don't know, but so far so good.

After so many people were waiting so long for this seat, it's disconcerting to read that there are consistency/fitment issues after all this time. Really too bad considering all the high hopes.

After so many people were waiting so long for this seat, it's disconcerting to read that there are consistency/fitment issues after all this time. Really too bad considering all the high hopes.

While I'm not accusing anyone of complaining too much, I would like to note that happy customers are quieter than the unhappy ones.
Repeating "looks great, fits well, feels good" about a seat simply is not as interesting as the details of what went wrong.

While I'm not accusing anyone of complaining too much, I would like to note that happy customers are quieter than the unhappy ones.
Repeating "looks great, fits well, feels good" about a seat simply is not as interesting as the details of what went wrong.

I considered my reviews and concerns about the Sargent seat more as a report to those that might benefit, rather than a complaint.

In my case, it is disappointing that an aftermarket seat costing twice as much as the stock seat could not be mounted on my motorcycle.

I considered my reviews and concerns about the Sargent seat more as a report to those that might benefit, rather than a complaint.

In my case, it is disappointing that an aftermarket seat costing twice as much as the stock seat could not be mounted on my motorcycle.
Indeed. I read the thoughtful review as report not complaint. I value this board for reports, like yours, most of all.
It seems likely there is a production problem that causes one seat to fit and another not to.
Sargent definitely needs to fix that!

What does the Stock Seat cost by the way?

What does the Stock Seat cost by the way?

2012 stock seat front section $130.75, free shipping, no tax. That's way, way less than any aftermarket. I would expect an aftermarket seat to perform better AND fit at least as well, considering they start at over twice the price.

Last edited:
2012 stock seat front section $130.75, free shipping, no tax. That's way, way less than any aftermarket. I would expect an aftermarket seat to perform better AND fit at least as well, considering they start at over twice the price.

Beating the dead horse........
Let's not forget for many of us: (And very butt is different)

The problem is the stock seat has few redeeming qualities for that cheap price:

The slope is all wrong, which can be fixed for $10 but the compromise is the front is no longer tight fit.
The foam support is too soft, Seat concepts sorta fixes that for another $120. But the compromise is it is not flat enough in the back.
The stock seat dish and width support is all wrong which Sargent and Corbin fixes for most people.
Corbin is expensive and fit is poor, if not totally unacceptable and inconsistent quality in more than one area and worst of all their customer service is worse than their seat.

Corbin and Sargent have the foam support and shape for sum or most given the space on the bike.
Day Long may be the ultimate answer for a huge price compromise.........only costs a little more to go first class:eek: which the fit and looks are ?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Beating the dead horse........
Let's not forget for many of us: (And very butt is different)

The problem is the stock seat has few redeeming qualities for that cheap price:

The slope is all wrong, which can be fixed for $10 but the compromise is the front is no longer tight fit.
The foam support is too soft, Seat concepts sorta fixes that for another $120. But the compromise is it is not flat enough in the back.
The stock seat dish and width support is all wrong which Sargent and Corbin fixes for most people.
Corbin is expensive and fit is poor, if not totally unacceptable and inconsistent quality in more than one area and worst of all their customer service is worse than their seat.

Corbin and Sargent have the foam support and shape for sum or most given the space on the bike.
Day Long may be the ultimate answer for a huge price compromise.........only costs a little more to go first class:eek:

Good summary. But why on earth is it so complicated? My '82 Suzuki had a seat that worked just fine all day long. Or was my butt just firmer back in '82? :confused:

As for stock, Honda could have simply shaped the stock seat right at no additional cost and nipped the problem in the bud.

As for stock, Honda could have simply shaped the stock seat right at no additional cost and nipped the problem in the bud.

Agree........it has been said before...........it is strange how many makes and models have marginal to poor stock seats. It is also most like they did not take 20 average butts and ask the butt owners how did that seat work for you?????? :rolleyes::rolleyes: especially the slope thing which has been my pet peeve noticed after the first 10 miles of use.

Last edited:
Maybe they had 20 to 100 different people sit on it, but didn't let them ride it. I saw no problem with it at all... until I was riding it home.

A guy on the UK NC forum ordered the X seat from Sargent for his S. They couldn't confirm whether their seat fits the S but told him he could return it for a full refund if it didn't fit his bike. Well, he finally received his seat this week - and it fits except for a large gap between the front of the seat and the storage tank. Before returning it, he offered it to X owners on the UK forum members at the price he paid - the lower pre-launch price. That's a real good deal since he ordered/paid for the standard seat but they supplied him with the higher-spec one (including pillion seat cover) by mistake!! I've got first refusal on this seat but, before I go collect, can anybody confirm that the S seat is indeed a different shape than the X? If they're the same, then his Sargent seat is obviously one of the incorrectly manufactured ones that other owners have reported on this topic.

I'm deathly curious to know if there is an equivalent: "Auuugh we hate the stock seat!" group or Forum for NC700X's in Japan, heh heh.

Has any bike, in the history of bikes, ever had people complain about the seat being sloped up at the front, too much? Most curious. Seemingly forever, have I always heard/read about all complaints lodged against seat slopes, solely to do with a down slope.

Why on earth wouldn't the manufacturers use a level, or cheat a bit on the side of a mild up slant, versus the constantly bemoaned down-slide into the gas tank?

This seems to be something the manufacturers perversely ignore or something. And I am one of the mutants that likes the stock seat, but I'm on your guys' side for this "majority of users" strange problem with bike seats, lol!

Back