• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

School me on Bluetooth please!

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I'm trying to setup my bike so that I can have GPS and iPhone piped wirelessly to my helmet. As of now, all I have is the helmet (Schuberth c3 Pro) and the iPhone. I'm thinking of going with the SRC-System from Schuberth SRC-System? C3 Pro | Schuberth GmbH and a Garmin 590LM https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-590lm/prod145273.html

I'm assuming that the SRC-System, the iPhone and the 590LM should all play together just fine. Does anyone see any issues with this setup? I've run multiple GPSs, (2820 and 478), iPhone, Valentine One and even Aux inputs to my helmet before, but they were always done wired and after getting my head yanked back towards the bike too many times I'm thinking of going wireless.

TIA

There are so many great intercom systems on the market now days that it would be harder to purchase a bad system than a good one. I have had great luck with the interphone, no problems in 6 years now. Admin just posted Interphone F5MC Intercom Review yesterday. Look under Admin recent posts.

Last edited:
I have to say, Bluetooth is one of the few technologies that genuinely works across all manufacturers. I've had numerous different phones and several different bluetooth devices and all have always paired, connected and worked with minimal effort.

I currently have a Nolan helmet, with their own bluetooth kit paired up to my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone running CoPilot sat-nav software - all works seamlessly.

I bought the same set up (Shuberth), but returned it... too much pressure on the forehead for my head shape... Went with Neotec and Sena SMH-10. Works beautifully.
You should be fine with the SRC and the GPS, iPhone (as long as your GPS is Bluetooth capable).

I bought the same set up (Shuberth), but returned it... too much pressure on the forehead for my head shape... Went with Neotec and Sena SMH-10. Works beautifully.
You should be fine with the SRC and the GPS, iPhone (as long as your GPS is Bluetooth capable).

How do you like the SMH-10? I am looking at getting a pair of the Bell Mag-9 Sena's with SMH-10's.

Going back to the OP, are most comm systems capable of simultaneously linking to GPS and phone? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm also looking at the SRC system for the c3 pro, but I'm not entirely clear either what all it will do. I would like some navi abilities on my bike, but won't (at least initially) have my iPhone out and open. If I have it in the frunk, can I access navigation on the iPhone and also play music from it via controls from bluetooth?

Anyone who has these systems, give us an idea how you use it and what all it will do!

I don't think a Garmin 590 will work. A while back I was looking at GPS units and found that only the Zumo models have the type of bluetooth that connects to speakers. IIRC on the other Garmin bluetooth models the bluetooth would only pair with a phone so you could hear a phone call through the GPS speaker. I think the bluetooth protocol required for a helmet system is called a2dp or something like that.
The good news is that you can get GPS with turn by turn instructions through a helmet bluetooth system on your iPhone. The app I use is called Co-Pilot, but the Apple app store has several GPS apps available for the iPhone. Just get one that uses downloaded maps so you don't need a data or cell connection.

Bob

I don't think a Garmin 590 will work. A while back I was looking at GPS units and found that only the Zumo models have the type of bluetooth that connects to speakers. IIRC on the other Garmin bluetooth models the bluetooth would only pair with a phone so you could hear a phone call through the GPS speaker. I think the bluetooth protocol required for a helmet system is called a2dp or something like that.
The good news is that you can get GPS with turn by turn instructions through a helmet bluetooth system on your iPhone. The app I use is called Co-Pilot, but the Apple app store has several GPS apps available for the iPhone. Just get one that uses downloaded maps so you don't need a data or cell connection.

Bob

If I'm not mistaken the Garmin (Zumo) 590LM should work via Bluetooth. If not they make a Bluetooth adapter that you can wire to the gps.

If I'm not mistaken the Garmin (Zumo) 590LM should work via Bluetooth. If not they make a Bluetooth adapter that you can wire to the gps.

I stand corrected. Guess I should have looked up the model number. I was thinking the Model 590 was an automotive unit. AFAIK all of the Zumo models work with bluetooth headsets.

Bob

I originally purchased an Interphone f5 system. I was disappointed unfortunately. Sound quality on the intercom was not good. I believe the Sena systems are very good. Not being as well versed in the complication of modern technology as I would like to be, I struggle with instructions etc. However I get by. I have found though that the easiest way to connect everything up is to kidnap a young person with a smartphone and keep them incarcerated until they do the job for me. They can be bribed also. They are so well versed in modern tech that they can do anything with anything !

Well, I bought a new Zumo 590 and a Schuberth SRC headset and......they don't want to play together :-(

When I attempt to pair the Zumo w/ the headset it will ask me for a pass code...Schuberth manual says the pass code is 0000 and it doesn't work....Give me hard wires any day!

I found out a very important fact about communications systems. Most of them do not have replaceable batteries. So, after about 2 years they are ready for the trash can.
Get a communication system with a replaceable battery!!!!!!!!

You are correct bamamate, but you have to send the unit back to Sena for replacement. Can not buy the battery when on the road. I called Sena, and that is the answer I was given by Sena. Sena also does not have FM radio as many others do. I have found only one communication system with full features that the battery can be bought on the roadway, but that communication system is helmet specific. Sure wish I could find an answer for a communication full feature system with a battery that can be purchased while on the roadway and is not just one helmet specific.

Last edited:
Well, I bought a new Zumo 590 and a Schuberth SRC headset and......they don't want to play together :-(

When I attempt to pair the Zumo w/ the headset it will ask me for a pass code...Schuberth manual says the pass code is 0000 and it doesn't work....Give me hard wires any day!
A long shot, have you tried five zeroes?

You are correct bamamate, but you have to send the unit back to Sena for replacement. Can not buy the battery when on the road. I called Sena, and that is the answer I was given by Sena. Sena also does not have FM radio as many others do. I have found only one communication system with full features that the battery can be bought on the roadway, but that communication system is helmet specific. Sure wish I could find an answer for a communication full feature system with a battery that can be purchased while on the roadway and is not just one helmet specific.

Yes and no. The SMH10R uses a battery specific to it but it is external, actually a separate piece from the control unit, and therefore user replaceable. Revzilla sells the battery so you can have a spare. Would be nice if it had FM Radio.

Back