• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seat Concepts needs input

Hi all. I spent the better part of today with Linden at Seat Concepts. They purchased the front half of the seat only. Linden started by asking me about what we (the forum) wanted. I said the most often used comment is the seat slopes to the frunk. Linden attached a piece of foam across the middle of the seat and began sculpting. He said it will be difficult to correct the slope and not be higher in the middle an front from stock. The foam at the rear of the seat is thin to start with. If he shaves much off, the rider will basically be sitting on the pan. After working on the new foam for a bit, we put the seat on my bike and he had me sit on it. It was instantly better in my opinion. It told Linden the slope was better, but I thought there should be some support in the hip area. He glued another piece of foam on each side of the seat and contoured them with the rest of the saddle. After he got the basic shape the way he wanted it, he broke out an air sander and smoothed the seat. After smoothing the seat, it went back on the bike. WOW! (for a reference, I am 6'4" with a 34+" inseam and weigh about 235 - honest). With that, an assistant put on a temporary seat cover and off I went for a test ride. I took the bike on a 50 mile round trip up a local mountain and found the seat to be much better than stock.
Next step is to smooth out any rough areas and make a fiberglass mold of the new foam. (there is actually more to it than that) After they get a fiberglass mold they can begin making the foam rubber for the base. Linden said this should take about 3 weeks. He expects the price to be $159.00. The kit will include new seat foam and a new cover. The cover they used is almost a ringer for the cover that is on the bikes when sold. They are a bit duller and the grain is at a different angle. Linden said this is because the grain has to be in a specific direction to stretch during installation.
Did I like the seat? Absolutely! Will it be a perfect fit for everyone? Probably not, but to get a personalized fit you would have to go to a shop like Corbin and spend a lot more. I took a few pictures. I will try to get them posted asap. That is about all I know for now. If you have questions, post it or shoot me a PM.
Craig

Seat Concepts proto-type

Here are a few photos of the process and the proto-type I rode up the hill

Sanding down the first layer of new foam.

Scientific eyeball measurements.

A bit wider at the hips.

Stock seat

Prototype

The rear half of the seat works perfectly with the prototype seat.
Hope this is what everyone was looking for. I like it.

If you're happy and your butt shape matches mine, I'll be buying! Thanks for your efforts in making this happen. This option will be cheaper than my local upholsterer.

Greg

If you're happy and your butt shape matches mine, I'll be buying! Thanks for your efforts in making this happen.

I am also interested. I am in Canada so that would be a blind purchase but based on the work done, I have no problem with it. Next step would be calbigbird showing us his butt shape ;)

As the others have said --- thanks so much for taking the time and going down for the test fit --it sure helps the guys at Seat Comcepts come up with a better design and fit

Here are a few photos of the process and the proto-type I rode up the hill

Prototype

The rear half of the seat works perfectly with the prototype seat.
Hope this is what everyone was looking for. I like it.

I'm in,I will have enough $$$ right about the time it's available !!.
This should make my 6,000 mile trip more comfy !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not mind trying my hand at redoing my seat for more comfort.

I would cut out the center section of foam add back memory foam, and shape the seat by adding a small amount to the sides, then level the top so that I could add a gel pad then cut a narrow trough down the middle, sand all foam till smooth, re install stock oem cover back on.

all would get glued with 3m spray adhesive like 3m #77

Last edited by a moderator:
If you add any to the sides then your stock cover might not fit back on.I find that building the seat was the easy part,making a new cover was harder.Next time I will do the foam mods THEN take the seat to a seat guy to make the cover.

Did not read all this thread though will say I have always liked the semi-hard foam in a Corbin seat plus their shape. Have not picked up my nc700x yet though hear the rider slides forward on it...not a good thing. Also, a seat designed not to be taller then stock would I think be a bonus. Don't know from the brief sit-on I did at a bike shop how wide the stock seat is though that too, for me, should be wide enough to provide support.

I saw some photos and measurements of the finished (?) replacement foam seat shape, no covering, for the NC700X. It is level in front, wider in the rear of the seat, and dished for your butt. It is the same width in front for the vertical challenged among us.
Looks REALLY good, in my opinion. Do not know when the seat foam and covering will become available for sale, but I'm looking forward to making a purchase.
PCG

I got a email from Seat Concepts today and the new seat foam and cover will be available in 2 weeks !!
YIPPPEEEEE.

Seat Concept Foam

Here are a few photos of the prototype foam shape for the NC700X Seat Concept seat

Attachments

• GetAttachment-2.aspx.jpeg
    GetAttachment-2.aspx.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 341
  • GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
    GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 338
  • GetAttachment-3.aspx.jpeg
    GetAttachment-3.aspx.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
After a 100 mile today,the stock seat
SUCKS !!!.
Is the seat concepts seat any wider in the back ??.Is the foam any harder/more dense??

I agree 100%!
My ride home from the dealership was over 100 miles.
The Seat Concept foam is wider in the rear area of the seat.
I do not know the details on the foam density, but according to Seat Concept they should be able to start filling orders for their seat foam and covers by the end of the upcoming week.
We'll have to wait and see.
Hopefully it's a big, big improvement over the stock seat, and not overly expensive.

Back