• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seeking helmet recommendation

I dont have patience to search over the millions of crap online to find that info.
They used to say about the internet - instant info at your fingertips - is not true at all!!

The FAQ section of Snell’s website ( https://smf.org/faq ) says this about helmet replacement:

Unused helmets stored in good condition do not automatically expire after five years. Replacing helmets every five years is a judgement call based on testing helmets used by the California Highway Patrol by Dr. George Snively. Wear and tear, the simple act of putting on and taking off helmets, damage the comfort pads and energy absorbing foam liner over time. Helmets with worn-out pads are at least one to two sizes larger than helmets in new condition. A poorly fitted helmet makes it more likely that the helmet will shift too much or even come off the head during a crash impact. For these reasons, Snell recommends replacing helmet after five years of normal use.

I don’t replace a helmet after only 5 years unless it’s damaged or worn out or something. Some helmets are worn out in under 5 years, for me and my use. Others will last me much longer, though they may need replacement liners, parts, visors, and the like.

The FAQ section of Snell’s website ( https://smf.org/faq ) says this about helmet replacement:

I don’t replace a helmet after only 5 years unless it’s damaged or worn out or something. Some helmets are worn out in under 5 years, for me and my use. Others will last me much longer, though they may need replacement liners, parts, visors, and the like.
Thank you for doing that research.

I think this falls into the same category as changing engine oil no later than each time the planet makes a full rotation around the sun. These are just very broad, catch-all recommendations because the number of variables involved make it impossible to advise a true time interval for each owner/situation.

I’d say there is no time interval on helmet replacement. You learn what makes a helmet worn out, and replace it when it’s worn out.

If you're still looking for suggestions, I just got an HJC i90 in gloss black. It's a modular with a clear visor and slide down internal tinted visor. It's a very comfortable helmet. Not sure if they make it in high vis, but you could always put reflective tape on it, or if you know anybody with a vinyl cutting machine, make some cool high vis/ reflective decals for it.

Hello Moto Gurus! Last night on my way home, I said "Self, your helmet feels kinda floppy", so when I got home I tore it apart and realized that the cheek pads are pretty worn out and have lost most of their shape. On top of that, I realized/discovered that my helmet was manufactured in 2015, so it's likely due for retirement. I searched the interwebs for a new helmet and could not find anything that meets my needs, which is why I come seeking advice/recommendations:
  • full face
  • high-viz color (bright yellow)
  • internal sun visor
  • Pinlock included or available
  • intermediate/medium oval shape
  • hopefully sub-$400
  • quiet
My current helmet is a Kabuto Kamui which I absolutely love, but unfortunately OGK/Kabuto seem to have withdrawn from the US market (no DOT approval). Any recommendations? Thanks! Edited
I currently have a white Arai helmet and find it to be extremely comfortable. They sell helmets in different head shape sizes which I feel results in a much better fit. The negative is that they are expensive, but since we are ooming into fall you may be able to find one heavily discounted. Also, if you have specific questions they have excellent customer support and a human being in the United States answers your questions.

Just picked up this today. HJC V90 retro Modular. This thing cuts the air superb. Lightweight comfortable great visibility just no high visibility colours.

Oops...I see that I never closed out this discussion. I ended up getting a Bell SRT Modular Helmet (Transmit Gloss Hi-Viz -Medium).

I paid ~$400 which stretched my budget a little bit, but -- after trying on a bunch of other helmets including several HJC models -- this one fit my head the best. I see now that the same helmet is on sale for $280, oh well. It's not a perfect helmet, but it's good enough for my needs.

Thanks!
-Jim G

Back