• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sena SMH-10 or SMH-5FM

Ridealot

Reaction score
Visit site
Received some extra money to spend and looking at getting either one of these Bluetooth headsets for my helmet. Mainly looking at the SMH-5 is because of the FM option.

I doubt I will be pairing it with others, but the possibility is there.

Who has experience with either one and can give me some suggestions on which one to get?

I have been using the 10 for about 8 years. I have read good reports on all of their models. The 10 is Bluetooth capable. I don't listen to music when I ride. I can plug my mp3 into the unit if I like to listen to music or the radio. I have the unit paired to my phone and GPS but seldom use them on the headset. Good threads over at ADVrider in the Equipment section. The 10 does what I want so I have never looked into newer models.

I have the smh5-fm model. It worked great with my iPhone but not so good with my Samsung Galaxy phone. Im having a hard time controling the music and having it read me texts I did get to use it paired with an smh10. The distance was no where near as far as claimed. Maybe 300 yards. But it was nice to be able to say when turns were near or if one of us - ok, that guy, needed gas.

Why not go with the latest model, the 20S? Seems to be head and shoulders above the older units. It has an FM radio too.

If you don't need all those features (range, communication with other units, voice commands, smart phone app control, motion sensor, etc) I would just get the SMH-5FM for the cost savings.

Why not go with the latest model, the 20S? Seems to be head and shoulders above the older units. It has an FM radio too.

If you don't need all those features (range, communication with other units, voice commands, smart phone app control, motion sensor, etc) I would just get the SMH-5FM for the cost savings.

Holy cow! I don't want to pay that much for a communication device! Thats out of my budget. The 10 and 5 are more in my range

Holy cow! I don't want to pay that much for a communication device! Thats out of my budget. The 10 and 5 are more in my range

Yea it's more expensive than the other Senas. But still cheap, relatively. Back in the days of Baehr and Autocom systems, before all this bluetooth stuff, it wasn't uncommon to have to spend around $1000 for an audio/communication system.

I have the SMH10R. Great unit. I’ve paired with others, listen to music on my phone, voice txt messages, audio GPS off the phone (Nokia Windows phone), made phone calls. It all has worked nicely. Would be nice if the 10 series had the FM radio. My suggestion, look at the feature set on each unit and get the one that meets your needs.

I have the 10 also, the G.F likes it because she talks like crazy, I like it for the ability to text, talk, the new upgrade really makes access to my music easier really made a difference during my summer trip, also a very long run time on a charge.

I have the 5 and it's great. The only advantage to the 10 would be battery life. I get about 5-6 hours of active use with the 5.

Smh5

I have the 5 without the FM radio, I pair it with my Zummo 660 and my iPhone or iTouch if I want to listen to music,
I am not always riding in the same area so the FM option did not excite me as I was concerned about reception, listening to what I want to from the iPhone or iTouch is a better option and I did not have to worry about tuning in a radio station
Just a thought,
brad

Back