• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Service Contract with bike?

nemesis98

Reaction score
Visit site
While pricing out my bike, the dealer mentioned an additional (and optional) service contract that can be purchased, either thru Honda or their own custom service contract.
Now I forget what is included in the contract, but it extends past the warranty that comes with the bike, so I can get up to 4 additional years service contract. Honda offers it for up to $1010.00, and my dealer offers it for up to $910.00 (for the 4 yr version).

My question to you is this - is the additional service contract worth it?
Is that extra $910.00 (or Honda version for $1010.00) good to shell out as a kind of 'bike service insurance'?
Do you think that the NC700X is in need of such an extended service contact?
Would you buy the service contact if offered to you?

Thanks!

My question to you is this - is the additional service contract worth it?
Is that extra $910.00 (or Honda version for $1010.00) good to shell out as a kind of 'bike service insurance'?
Do you think that the NC700X is in need of such an extended service contact?
Would you buy the service contact if offered to you?

Answers: no, no, no, never.

Insurance is for major lifestyle changing events and catastrophic losses, not for the inconvenience of having to service a motorcycle. Don't waste your money. Instead, put the money toward your early, comfortable retirement (if you're not already there). That will give you more peace of mind than a service contract.

BTW, this particular deal sounds like it's about twice the price it should be.

Greg

Definitely as above! Save your money for later! The only contract i made is an insurance in case of steel, damage. Bike is insured, I'll get paid if anything happens. The manufacturer warranty is valid only, when I take the bike to the authorized dealer at the necessary time/mileage limits. This has to be done, but nothing more - imo. After it expires I'll repair my bike - oil&filters change, etc.

Is this different than the extended warranty? Because more than a few of us bought that and consider it money well spent, including myself.

If that's the usual extended warranty, it's robbery to ask that kind of price. If it's a service contract, tell them to pound sand (or whatever they want to pound) because you almost certainly won't need it and won't get your money's worth, that's an outrageous price for oil changes, airing tires, and adjusting chain. But why does it not surprise me that a dealer would do something unethical?

never...its not worth the paper its written on.
keep it serviced and you will have no problems.
hence why do you think every retailer offer's only 5 years warranty and not 10??
that's because all manufacturers know and designed them to last at least 5 years.
try getting 10 years warranty and they'll soon show you the door!

The Honda Protection Plan - Vehicle Service Contract, from American Honda, on my NC700x is $660 for 60 months, unlimited mileage.
It is transferable to a new owner (nice incentive if you plan to sell bike before 5 years - gives buyer some assurances). The contract can be cancelled for 100% refund within 60 days less admin fee (up to 5%). Dealer said it can be cancelled anytime and get a prorated refund, but that is not clear in the contract.

I would say maybe worth having if a) will put a lot of miles on it and or b) plan to sell it between 1 and 5 years. On the other hand, how many things can go wrong that would cost more than $660 that would be "defective in materials of factory workmanship?"

Disclaimer: I was a service advisor at a BMW dealership.

I wouldn't recommend it for the NC700X.
Unless you have bad experinces with bikes as a rule.

On BMW bikes I would. Why?
Final drives, brake servos, fuel strips, CANBUS, alternators, shock mounting bolts... :mad:

I believe you can buy the Honda extended warranty from any Honda dealer. In Arizona I have heard the price is $360 - $450.

If the LCD display goes bad on this bike how much is it? or a fuel pump? computer?

This is just another insurance plan so you have to decide what you could afford if something were to go wrong.
ed

I believe you can buy the Honda extended warranty from any Honda dealer. In Arizona I have heard the price is $360 - $450.

If the LCD display goes bad on this bike how much is it? or a fuel pump? computer?

This is just another insurance plan so you have to decide what you could afford if something were to go wrong.
ed

My stealer( I mean dealer ) wanted $1,000 for that !!!.They wanted $950 for a service contract ( oil change and valve adjust ) .!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I bought the extended (Honda, not dealer) warranty. It set me back $650. Though I have the manual bike - not sure if that makes a difference. Not having dealt with Honda bikes before, I considered that safe. It's 5 years (total) unlimited mileage.

Only ever bought an extended warranty once which was on a second hand hand BMW 100/7 . It was transfered to the new owner when I sold it on and he had a gear box problem. I received several calls from the insurance company trying to find a reason as to why they could avoid paying out.

I had not planned on purchasing it. They first offered it to me at $580. Dropped the price to $360 when they discovered we were repeat customers. Worth the peace of mind at that price as I should be putting a lot of miles on the bike. Remember I had a fuel pump go out on my Victory in year 3 that cost $500, pretty much broke even with that contract.

NO Service contract ! That is only a dealer money grab in my opinion. Part of the reason I bought the Honda was for its reputation for reliability and long life. Besides the factory warranty should take care of any issues that may pop up in the first year.

Back