• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

service-oil/filter change?

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is it really necessary to change oil/filter if the bike has done less than 2 thousand mile .
in my case with having to look after our grand daughter we didn't get out much last year so we've probably only done about 1200 miles if that.
now that biking season will soon be upon us so does it or not??

I wouldn't. I let mine go two years in bikes/scooters with lower usage. On high usage bikes I go by the mileage.

Most replies will probably tell you to change the oil but I think that would be a waste.

I'm with 670cc on this !
Ask your oil if she know how long she's been in the engine ?...if she doesn't amswer it count for a no and then after tell her you just changed it 1200 miles ago. :p

that is what I was thinking.
pointless spending £36 for oil,filters about £20.
I'll do a service just before next winter.
most of the mileage we did last year were over 200 miles each trip and only on sundays!!

I'm kind of in the same boat. Did the 600 mile service early last summer. Only have 2200 on mine now. I will probably ride through this summer, then service after that. Being in the vehicle repair/maintenance industry for the last 16 years (automotive and trucks, not motorcycles), I've always tended to do and recommend a yearly oil service if the miles are low in between. To counterpoint myself, however - I don't think there is any harm whatsoever stretching it to two years with that mileage on yours.

Contaminants begin to gather in the oil as soon as an engine is run. The most common is water, which is easily reduced or removed with heat. Water molecules will combine with unburnt fuel byproducts to form various kinds of acids. Fortunately, there is very little sulfur in gasoline now, as it is the worst. These acids can damage soft metals like the facings of the plain main and rod bearings.

So if you put on low miles, and choose to not change your annually, make sure that when you go for a ride, you ride for at least 3/4 of an hour, to get the oil good and hot.

Four quarts of MC oil should cost less than $30............ once a year............. that's not too much, is it?

BTW, I agree that you don't need to do the filter everytime on such low miles.

I agree with everyone else...so far. No harm in exceeding suggested time interval, it's the mileage intervals that are most important. I've heard others warn of "acids" and whatnot that could build up over time but I think that is mostly poppycock and a year certainly won't hurt IMO. I've had many bikes sit all winter long and well over a year without any noticeable problems.

I just asked the Wife because She is always right. She says change the filter and don't be such a skinflint !

I did the 600 service myself and if I follow the 8000 miles guidelines, then I'm good for 2 years, since I average about 4000 per year.
Having said that, I do live in So Calif. where our weather is usually pretty bike friendly, dry and warm, so depending on YOUR location, YMMV :rolleyes:

$30? you couldn't get cheap car oil here for that.
motor bike oils is very expensive compared to car oils.
last time I bough bike oil it cost me £36 so I don't what they cost now.

just checked ebay its cheaper than my local bike shop friggin rip off

I have never used oils marketed for 'motorcycles'. In my Suzuki C50 boulevard, I use rotella 15w40 and the bike has 72,000+ miles on it. In the Honda, I use Pennzoil 10w30, now has 18,000+ miles; both of oils do not contain energy conserving additives. A gallon of Rotella is approx. $13 plus tax and the 1.25 gallon of Pennzoil was approx. $16 plus tax. I change oil in the late fall and early spring (to get the winter storage oil out) and I changed oil in both bikes this past weekend; $50 for 2 gallons of oil and 2 filters. During the summer, I change the oil in the Suzuki every 2000-3000 miles (manual states every 3,000) and the same for the Honda-I err on the side of caution for mile intervals-fresh oil=fresh engine.

Changing oil is therapeutic. Like changing into new and clean underwear.
If you cannot afford an oil change, why not just ride a bicycle?
Oops...too harsh me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops...too harsh me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between "can't afford" and "don't want to spend the money needlessly". True, it might be cheap therapy for some but for others it's just changing oil.

Oops...too harsh me?

You're not too harsh, it's just your opinion. I have the financial means (can afford) to change the oil daily, if I wanted to. But, that's not how I want to spend my time and money. Therefore I follow the manufacturer's recommended schedule. For me, wasting money is bad therapy.

I think its more common practice to stretch oil changes out, wether its a car or bike. Personally now living in the U/S, its practice to change your oil more often, especially with the big Temp swings in New England. Keep your Oil and filters fresh. Keep that motor tighter for longer.

$30? you couldn't get cheap car oil here for that.
motor bike oils is very expensive compared to car oils.
last time I bough bike oil it cost me £36 so I don't what they cost now.

just checked ebay its cheaper than my local bike shop friggin rip off

That's island life for ya....

Back