• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shell Dex-Cool antifreeze ???

eastbayandy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just hit 8k and am going to do the valve check/adjustment. I have a bottle of this lying around, the 50/50 premix. Would there be any reason not to use it? it's red. looks to be silica and phosphate free.It's probably been lying around for at least 4 years.
http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/2213581pdf?$PDF$

Last edited:
Check this thread
Coolant Substitute
I couldn't find anything else in town but pentofrost A2. It's worked well for me
Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File Pentofrost_A2.pdf
4038235311b6e5f8305313709da73399.jpg

Last edited:
Any reason you can't just use Prestone (or any other non-silicate antifreeze/coolant)? As long as it's changed at the interval, it should be fine, right?

Any reason you can't just use Prestone (or any other non-silicate antifreeze/coolant)? As long as it's changed at the interval, it should be fine, right?

Any coolant that meets the Honda standards non silicate, borate is the important part........it is likely way more important than the interval.

Some coolant manufactures play loosely with the meets vehicle manufacturer standards, safe for all vehicles and other claims.

The trick is reading the labels............if it does not specifically say no silicate it's not. Honda vehicles and many other Asian vehicles have a water pump seal that is sensitive to these contaminates. This goes back 35 or more years.

I am sure some owners just use any old coolant or just plain water and or other products with some success.

Last edited:
Alright, sounds good. Fwiw, their regular (AF-2000) coolant is silicate free, and their extended life (AF850) coolant is silicate and borate free, dex-cool certified.

Nope, but you may get pin size holes in your radiator....NEVER, EVER use distilled or de-ionized water in a radiator.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This was bad advise the last time you gave it in the last anti freeze thread !!! And contrary to the Honda premix coolant formula.

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This was bad advise the last time you gave in the last anti freeze thread !!!

View attachment 33245

I don't care what they have on the label. Chemistry is chemistry and distilled or de-ionized water does take ions from the closest/nearest metal available-which is usually in the radiator (and I have seen it happen in lab experiments). If I saw this label, I wouldn't purchase it.

Honda's recommendation? This uncertainty is killing me. I'm removing my radiator immediately!

I don't care what they have on the label. Chemistry is chemistry and distilled or de-ionized water does take ions from the closest/nearest metal available-which is usually in the radiator (and I have seen it happen in lab experiments). If I saw this label, I wouldn't purchase it.

SORRY. But that is total BS. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

After doing some research, the anti-freeze replaces the ions in the de-ionized water, thus actually the mix of coolant with deionized water in the 50/50 mix, the water is really no longer de-ionized... The experts do recommend don't use straight de-ionzed water in radiators (but who does that). Sorry. I am done. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

I didn;t mean to start anything, just was wondering if i'd be safe using the coolant I had lying around. Now I;m not even sure the overpriced Honda high performance motorcycle coolant I bought for $8 /qt is OK. I'm with greenboy, I'm taking out the radiator. should shave some weight too.

One uses distilled water to avoid mineral build-up. The other paranoia is simply lack of understanding.

East bay Andy, the plain yellow-bottle Prestone I bought a couple-few years ago for my NCX met Honda's stated requirements, and has worked well.

Last edited:
Back