• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shock Splash Guard (on the cheap)

OK... finally finished the rear mudguard. I used plastic from a black, waste paper basket. $4 at Walmart.
I did the shock bootie first (was fun to be on my back sewing the thing closed!)
Here's a picture of both.

Yes, the two items are redundant. Being a computer network student, I'm OK with redundant backups.
mudguard.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea Huck! I intend to do a little scrounging for materials to create and install my version. I think it looks better than a hugger.

Great idea Huck! I intend to do a little scrounging for materials to create and install my version. I think it looks better than a hugger.

I used a black tall waste paper basket from Walmart. $4 and the black blastic was the perfect thickness for the job.
Not sure if it works better than a hugger, but it's way cheaper.

I'm hoping that lack of a splash guard will cause my OEM shock to fail, thus forcing me to get a good one.

So I finally finished mine today. Been busy at work. It actually fit better than expected and is very rigid and stable for what it is. (Cookie Sheet). I hammered a ridge down the center to act as a backbone and filled it with JB weld. A little flat black paint and it was ready to go. 20130716_161038.jpg20130716_161155.jpg20130716_161207.jpg

very professional! I like the way it's screwed in and not zip tied. those screws are NOT present on my bike.. just indents where they should be.

Thanks guys, I think it turned out pretty well. DanWill, I have had the bike since last October and it has a little over 11K miles on it. I try to keep it clean, thanks for the comment.

Yeah Bug Dr. I don't miss much. The strays are from 60-80 yards out. Anything inside of that I got it covered. :) Thanks.

very professional! I like the way it's screwed in and not zip tied. those screws are NOT present on my bike.. just indents where they should be.

I'll stick with the cable tie fixing I think. A: I can go back without leaving holes & B: there is a fuel tank under there & I wouldn't feel comfortable putting screws in pointed that way :)

I cut my guard longer & wider (for added protection of shocker) but, of course, it doesn't hang close to the swing arm, the edges keeping it away. Not wanting it to rub the wheel I put a wet towel on the tyre & I warmed the flap gently with a heat gun. Then withdrew the wet towel and stuffed a dry one in tight to force the flap against the arm. It has given more rigidity & slightly more shape to the plastic now & it doesn't flap back toward the tyre quite so easily now :)

I think the holes he used to screw in the flap are already there for the Honda luggage supports.

Back