• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Slow speed crash today, muffler took direct hit. Trouble deciding on repair

vandyke100

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. Today coming out of a parking lot that had high curbs I cut the exit corner too tight while trying to watch for oncoming 90 mph traffic and hit my foot peg, lost balance and went down. Slow speed but did plenty of scraping up to the muffler. Only real other damage is scraps on the frame above the radiator. Options:

1) Buy oem Honda muffler - $318
2) Buy replacement slip on like a Leo Vince - $288
3) Live with it. The bike functions fine, I don't, having damaged parts on my lady

I would really really really like more exhaust note as I can hardly hear the bike in any traffic which leads me to aftermarket. Performance gain not necessary, accepted, but not a goal. But, I don't like those stickers plastered on the replacement mufflers, they imho degrade the nc700x look and class. Please share a slip on that provides great exhaust note,,,,and no stickers.

And also, anybody ever touch up the frame paint? If you have the silver paint code please share brand and code! Thanks! this could be a separate thread

Thanks, Steve

Your NC now has a little real character, why hide it! Unless you really want an after market slip on pipe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all. Today coming out of a parking lot that had high curbs I cut the exit corner too tight while trying to watch for oncoming 90 mph traffic and hit my foot peg, lost balance and went down. Slow speed but did plenty of scraping up to the muffler. Only real other damage is scraps on the frame above the radiator. Options:

1) Buy oem Honda muffler - $318
2) Buy replacement slip on like a Leo Vince - $288
3) Live with it. The bike functions fine, I don't, having damaged parts on my lady

I would really really really like more exhaust note as I can hardly hear the bike in any traffic which leads me to aftermarket. Performance gain not necessary, accepted, but not a goal. But, I don't like those stickers plastered on the replacement mufflers, they imho degrade the nc700x look and class. Please share a slip on that provides great exhaust note,,,,and no stickers.

And also, anybody ever touch up the frame paint? If you have the silver paint code please share brand and code! Thanks! this could be a separate thread

Thanks, Steve

O E M

Mr. Vince's mufflers are TOO LOUD.

Definition of "Too Loud" - Used to carry out clamorous and insistent.

Being I obviously do not have the fantast idea what any of those big words mean, Got to be OK!

Depending on what you mean by scraped up there may be a third option. You might be able to just put a few coats of high temperature flat or satin black paint on the muffler an save a bunch of money. Of course if you would rather use the damage for an excuse to go for an aftermarket can a lot of people seem to really like the Leo Vince. I'm not sure what frame parts you're asking about for touch up paint. If you mean the silver plastic body panels, Color Rite can probably provide you with a match. Their paint isn't cheap, but they've got a good reputation. IIRC there was a discussion on matching silver paint in a thread on Fenda Extenda. Someone posted that they had found a good match. I think it was Krylon paint for motorcycles. At any rate if you search through the old threads you may be able to find it. If you're talking about the dark gray frame tubes, I don't know of any source.
Just found the post on the silver paint. It's Rustoleum 252457 Metallic Speck Silver.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Last edited:
I always have to wonder where the stock mufflers go when people switch to aftermarket units. Seems there should be plenty of stock take-offs going cheap. Or do people just trash them???

Greg

I always have to wonder where the stock mufflers go when people switch to aftermarket units. Seems there should be plenty of stock take-offs going cheap. Or do people just trash them???

Greg

I would put on my spare parts shelf if I got a aftermarket muffler.

I feel like those who don't think their aftermarket exhausts aren't a menace must have lost their hearing.

To the rest of us who haven't, it's unbelievably loud and annoying......

Hmm, I put on the Yoshimura and with the cat still in place it's not real loud, also comes with a db killer insert and then it sounds stock. I was considering selling the stock muff, but who pays big bucks for a used stock unit?
I have been trying to make a sound bite but the cameras I have don't do it justice. The twin has a nice beat ridden in town kinda like a stock Shadow but less loud, just kinda.

What store has a parking lot that joins an expressway?

Hey, sorry Mike, 90mph was an exaggeration, but when your at a dead stop pulling into traffic that has a 45mph limit and 60 is the norm it sure feels like 90. Just lucky my bike did not slid into traffic, or me. We travel this road very little but if you want to get to this particular restaurant then there ya have it
Steve

I have bangs and scuffs all over the place. Its an adventure bike and I've had some adventures. It shows.

My opinion would be if you are happy with the OEM pipe than just find a cheap used one, which shouldn't be that hard with people buying aftermarket slip ons. If you are not satisfied with the OEM, than get the aftermarket slip on of your choice. I like the Beowulf silencers (not so subtle suggestion),

If the muffler is simply scratched and not completely dented, another option is to take several succeedingly finer grades of sandpaper and wet sand it. Start with 400, then 800, 1000 then finally 2000. After that you can polish it with a chrome polish and a rotary buffer, a dremel with a felt polishing wheel will work too but being so small might take a while.

I have a OEM with about 2,000 miles on it, I replaced it with a Leo Vince Carbon. I'd be more than happy to sell it and get it out of my apartment, PM me if you're interested! I have no interest in keeping it, so I'll let you have it super cheap.

As far as the Leo Vince, it isn't loud at all. With the baffle in it is just about as loud as the OEM, but with a bit more character. I ride with the baffle out, and it's still quieter than 90% of the vehicles on the road. I'd highly recommend the Leo Vince if you're going aftermarket!

Back