• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So I talked with Rick from Cogent yesterday

kebrider

Reaction score
Visit site
He has become an NC700x fan. Said he just installed a DCT suspension for someone from Tennessee and he was very impressed with the bike. Anyone here? Said the guy was in his 70's.

He has had to listen to me go on and on about how horsepower just gets in the way of a quick mountain ride and how the low, long NC has such a composed and relaxed feel even with both tires howling on their very edge as you dive into a downhill, off camber, gravel strewn mountain 180 degree corner. Almost as much fun as flatracking through the Joyce Kilmer National Forest on a cool Fall afternoon, magical. Said he did quite a few NC700s this year and he figured mine would be the last.

Renews my faith in humanity that others see the NC as more than just a simple commuter (not that there is anything wrong with that!). Nothing wrong with a little versatility.

KEB

[...he has had to listen to me go on and on about how horsepower just gets in the way of a quick mountain ride and how the low, long NC has such a composed and relaxed feel even with both tires howling on their very edge as you dive into a downhill, off camber, gravel strewn mountain 180 degree corner.]

It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then a fast bike slow!

Said he just installed a DCT suspension for someone from Tennessee and he was very impressed with the bike.

Forgive me if I am missing something. I had no idea that the suspension on the DCT was different from non DCT bikes ?

Forgive me if I am missing something. I had no idea that the suspension on the DCT was different from non DCT bikes ?

It's not any different it was just the particular bike we were discussing and the last NC he modified. A consistent theme I hear is how the low rev motor is much more entertaining with the DCT. After operating the manual for a while you learn to get through the gears quickly and not "over" downshift when riding in a spirited mode whereas the auto does that for you with sport mode being quite fun. I see the local dealer still has a discounted 13 DCT on the floor.....hmmm.

I don't get it. Either the DCT or the manual allows you to put the bike in the gear you want, when you want, within the boundaries of the rev range. The engine is the same regardless of the transmission type. A rider on a manual can mimic the sport mode of the DCT if they like, and a rider on a DCT can manually shift when they want. I don't see how one is "much more entertaining" than the other.

Buy the one you like, of course. kebrider, you don't list an NC700 in your profile. Do you have one? EditToAdd: never mind; I saw other posts where you were riding one.

Last edited:
It's not any different it was just the particular bike we were discussing and the last NC he modified. A consistent theme I hear is how the low rev motor is much more entertaining with the DCT. After operating the manual for a while you learn to get through the gears quickly and not "over" downshift when riding in a spirited mode whereas the auto does that for you with sport mode being quite fun. I see the local dealer still has a discounted 13 DCT on the floor.....hmmm.

I wonder how my wife would react to me bringing home a second NC700XD, as a spare?

Except all my "spares" were not running. Better go with Fuzzy's idea. "Here you go honey, your own NC! Oh, you didn't want it? Well, I'll sell it.....soon..."

Go for it! You would be getting a bike without the likelihood of having to reset your odometer to zero.

I don't really "get" why anyone would limit the NC7 to a "commuter" category. Mine is a FAB: farkled adventure bike....

Roborider - NC700x - Southwest Virginia

Hi, I think I'll talk to Cognet about my 2015 NC700XDct , and do the front end mods, but wondering if my Penske 8983 off my 94 VFR would work on the NC . I have left hand issues after4 neck surgeries and can't operate clutch so will probably sell the VFR, but all I ride are twisty back roads and like to tickle my toes doing GS turns on pavement and the NC 700 X Dct is a blast. I can't operate the paddle shifter so just put it into S mode and it's fine, but ordered the foot shift kit from CMS in europe . I'm hoping the VFR Penske will work , If not what exactly did you use on yours. I don't want overly stiff , just nice and compliant suspension that can handle riding at 80% (Pace ) I'm an old AFM roadracer from the 70's when I raced my H2

Back