• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So I went into the dealership to trade in the NC700X...

dramd

Reaction score
Visit site
I almost did, I had the paperwork printed up and everything. They were giving me top dollar on the trade in, pretty much the same amount I could hope to make on a private sale. Really liked the mid power punch of the Versys, and sportier ride. Instead I walked out of the dealership with a new 250 Vstar starter bike for the wife. What finally stopped me is when I realized I was going to loose about 30mpg, and I would have to wear a backpack everyday to work, to carry around the tools I need. I finally settled in on the fact my current bike is the perfect job commuter, and if I picked up the other bike, I might as well start driving my car around for my work day. I have finally fully accepted the fact it's my perfect work bike for now, and will add my pure fun bike down the road.

Good choice.i had a 650 vstar custom.i did the same thing.i was looking at the ctx. but decided the nc was still for me.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but you were smart enough to look over that fence first. Congratulations! And, the Vstar 250 is the best of all the 250cc street bikes. Your wife will love it. Besides it just looks good too.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but you were smart enough to look over that fence first. Congratulations! And, the Vstar 250 is the best of all the 250cc street bikes. Your wife will love it. Besides it just looks good too.

Yes, she has been feeling left out when I take the daughter for a ride. Now she gets to go along. She has become an overnight fan, I used to have to beg to go ride, now the first thing I hear when I get home is get your gear on. It fits her well, and is one of the best looking 250cc little cruisers. What sold me on keeping my current bike, is when I figured out I'm already getting the same mileage out of my bigger bike, that little tiny bike is going to get. For what I need now it's still the right bike. I think I am going to start moding it up for off-road, and that will be my fun factor.

I almost did, I had the paperwork printed up and everything. They were giving me top dollar on the trade in, pretty much the same amount I could hope to make on a private sale. Really liked the mid power punch of the Versys, and sportier ride. Instead I walked out of the dealership with a new 250 Vstar starter bike for the wife. What finally stopped me is when I realized I was going to loose about 30mpg, and I would have to wear a backpack everyday to work, to carry around the tools I need. I finally settled in on the fact my current bike is the perfect job commuter, and if I picked up the other bike, I might as well start driving my car around for my work day. I have finally fully accepted the fact it's my perfect work bike for now, and will add my pure fun bike down the road.

Nothing at all wrong with that ;)

Yes, she has been feeling left out when I take the daughter for a ride. Now she gets to go along. She has become an overnight fan, I used to have to beg to go ride, now the first thing I hear when I get home is get your gear on. It fits her well, and is one of the best looking 250cc little cruisers. What sold me on keeping my current bike, is when I figured out I'm already getting the same mileage out of my bigger bike, that little tiny bike is going to get. For what I need now it's still the right bike. I think I am going to start moding it up for off-road, and that will be my fun factor.

My dad tried to get me to buy his old Honda Rebel 250...

I think he was a bit disappointed I didn't; when I showed up at his house on my NC for the first time, he was excited I got a bike, just a little sad it wasn't his.

While we were standing in the garage he was trying to sell me on the rebel again, telling me how he rode it to work, and one of his co-workers shouted "Why don't you get a REAL bike?!" My dad pointed at the rebel and shouted "68 MPG! What are you getting in your REAL Truck, 15?" the guy looked down and said something like "I wish I was getting 15."

After pushing his story of fantastic gas mileage on me, I said "Wow 68!? I'm only getting 64... but I'm still in the break in period so I'm thinking it'll get better."

His Jaw nearly hit the floor. I don't think he was expecting a 700cc bike (I'm not going to correct people and tell them it's really only 670cc unless I have too) to compete with his 250 in gas milage... particularly not something that looked like the NC (looking forward to sharing that I'm getting 74 with him next time I see him)

He also asked why I wasn't wearing a helmet the first time he saw the bike and no helmet... Oh the secrets the NC can hold.

I moved over from the CBR250R to the NCX and still get the same mileage. My buddy, who also bought a 250R, cannot figure out how a 670cc engine can get the same mileage as his 250 single.

My short answer to him is - twice the cylinders but half the RPM = same mileage. ;)

Smart move, good choice!
I had the Kawi Versys 650 before I bought the NC700X. The Honda shifts better, smoother engine, more roomy, better mileage, and with better after-market support. Plus you can't beat the "Frunk"!

My NC is my fun bike. It's quick enough for me off the start, and fast enough down the road.

IMG_2715.jpg

I sold my VStar 250 to buy my NC700X (Singer). I loved that little 250 and really miss it sometimes. Then again I have a pretty serious affair going with "Singer" too.

Last edited:
I kinda still kick myself in the *** every now and then, about not going for the CB1100. It's really what I wanted, but considering I have it's vintage brethren in my garage with a 915 kit.. I saw no point in having 2 identical bikes. The wife reminds me she like's the NC, so that in itself is enough for me.

As far as windshields go what kind do you think would work best? Do you want a small sporty windshield to take the pressure off your chest and where you still feel the wind? Or do you want a big one so you sit in dead air?

For small shields the Spitfire is one of the best and is a good value. On my Honda Rebel I had both that one and I also had a really tall Dakota windshield where I had to look through it. Dead air but it did get hot in summer.

It is, or can be. An odd confluence of ideas - looks like a Beamer but not, practical $ - cost and fuel, useful storage, easy comfortable ride . . . Seen Harley types looking interested in the ideas - but it's a ricer! When - IF - I wear this one out, I'll get another one.

My dad tried to get me to buy his old Honda Rebel 250...

I think he was a bit disappointed I didn't; when I showed up at his house on my NC for the first time, he was excited I got a bike, just a little sad it wasn't his.

While we were standing in the garage he was trying to sell me on the rebel again, telling me how he rode it to work, and one of his co-workers shouted "Why don't you get a REAL bike?!" My dad pointed at the rebel and shouted "68 MPG! What are you getting in your REAL Truck, 15?" the guy looked down and said something like "I wish I was getting 15."

After pushing his story of fantastic gas mileage on me, I said "Wow 68!? I'm only getting 64... but I'm still in the break in period so I'm thinking it'll get better."

His Jaw nearly hit the floor. I don't think he was expecting a 700cc bike (I'm not going to correct people and tell them it's really only 670cc unless I have too) to compete with his 250 in gas milage... particularly not something that looked like the NC (looking forward to sharing that I'm getting 74 with him next time I see him)

He also asked why I wasn't wearing a helmet the first time he saw the bike and no helmet... Oh the secrets the NC can hold.

without meaning to be too serious, spend time with your dad.

As far as windshields go what kind do you think would work best? Do you want a small sporty windshield to take the pressure off your chest and where you still feel the wind? Or do you want a big one so you sit in dead air?

For small shields the Spitfire is one of the best and is a good value. On my Honda Rebel I had both that one and I also had a really tall Dakota windshield where I had to look through it. Dead air but it did get hot in summer.

I think she would like dead air.

I saw your post and it made me think. I just went to the Triumph dealer and a similar epiphany. I went in because they had a new 2013 Bonneville that was a left-over. It was gorgeous and shiny and well, a triumph bonneville. The dealer set me up with a test drive and while I'm sure its the perfect bike, its not the perfect bike for my commute. The backpack everyday is a consideration as is the mileage, and especially the DCT/ABS combo. Cagers don't care much how shiny my bike is in traffic, so I think I'm sticking with the NC. Hopefully Honda will someday make my NC700X look like this-

bonneville.jpg

Back