• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Some one explained to me my bike has no power.

anglachel

Reaction score
Visit site
So I got my Givi luggage on, and was picking up some other parts for the setup from the shop up the road.

The owner and one of the employees were out admiring the appearance of the trekkers on the bike (the owner has trax on his NC) some one else pulls up and joins the crowd... we pull off one of the trekkers and hold it up to the employees new cb500 (nice looking bike) as after seeing my setup he was thinking about getting some for his bike.

Eventually I'm getting ready to head out, the folks who work there go back to work and the one other guy starts asking me about my bike... how much did it cost, how much horse power....
I couldn't remember off the top of my head exact numbers, but 54 hp and 48 ft/lbs seemed to stick out in my head... and those are at least close...
He gave me a look, then stared at the sky like he was doing math in his head, and said "Then you've got no power. You need at least 150hp, I mean it's 700cc's right?!"
At this point I was confused, my car doesn't have 150 hp (actually internet search suggests 170 hp in my current car, but my last car only had 124 hp) so I pointed that out to him that my 3,000lb car doesn't have that much hp, also the bike has more torque (like the Harley I was parked next to, or a pickup truck). He then stated, that it is a matter of fact, that bikes have more hp than cars. I put my helmet on at this point and started up the bike...
Were I on the Harley parked next to me, this would have been the end of the conversation, the only occasion so far where I wished I had a louder bike.

So there you have it... the "facts" from people who look confused when you say "torque" are that the NC is under powered... because power is a single faceted number around horses. Perhaps he writes for a magazine we've discussed lately...

Next time just tell them it has 150 hp and everyone will smile and move on.

So what does this other guy ride?

Something-650 he bought for $500 because it was totaled, he replaced the battery and a portion of the wiring harness to make it run (though to listen to him tell the story it was a herculean task) and surprisingly it still has issues... which is why he was looking at my bike because he is interested in replacing it.

Forgive me for this moment of weakness, but needs must. There is a name for that person who commented on your bike. The first letter is "W" and it finishes with an "r" . Nobody needs 150bhp. Some of the best fun I have ever had on a bike was riding with others who had double the bhp, but who still did not get away from me as long as the roads were twisty. That is where all the fun is, not riding down a straight motorway/freeway with the throttle wide open ! Nuff said.

Most bikes these days are made to go from zero to suicide in an eyeblink.

Coming home last from work last night (in my truck), I came up on a wreck. The guy was already taken away. He had one of those bikes. Hopefully, he's in the right place now because he's not in this world anymore.
I probably would have been right there at the same time if my NC wasn't broke down. I wouldn't have been going however fast he was going though. That bike was one of worst wrecks I've seen. I had three people call me last to make sure it wasn't me (they know my route home). From my semi-educated guess, I'd say it totaled the car it hit, too.
Age sometimes is a plus, I've already had my fast times and survived. Now, I just enjoy the ride.

Something-650 he bought for $500 because it was totaled, he replaced the battery and a portion of the wiring harness to make it run (though to listen to him tell the story it was a herculean task) and surprisingly it still has issues... which is why he was looking at my bike because he is interested in replacing it.

You sure he wasn't hitting on you? Exaggeration of a task and or event of up to 400% is permissible when trying to pick up, but no more than 50% between buddies.

With that in mind, when hit the bar later this evening I'll be doing my best to make cleaning and waxing the wheels on my car sound as much like a full engine swap as possible.

Just came back from the grocery store, 12 year old on a fix gear bicycle said "I like your ride."

Everything is better from the perspective of a 12 year old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Yesterday my husband rode the NC through Los Angeles. Left in his dust were several high-horsepower vehicles, including...a Bugatti Veyron. Seems to me the NC's horsepower and torque are quite sufficient, given that I doubt any of us commute on a racetrack.

Coming home last from work last night (in my truck), I came up on a wreck. The guy was already taken away. He had one of those bikes. Hopefully, he's in the right place now because he's not in this world anymore.
I probably would have been right there at the same time if my NC wasn't broke down. I wouldn't have been going however fast he was going though. That bike was one of worst wrecks I've seen. I had three people call me last to make sure it wasn't me (they know my route home). From my semi-educated guess, I'd say it totaled the car it hit, too.
Age sometimes is a plus, I've already had my fast times and survived. Now, I just enjoy the ride.

Age is a plus. As much as anything, the fact that when I was young, dumb, and full of you know what, my Honda 305 Dream would not go that fast. Handling was not much. Tires were not real sticky. If you are my age, you know that we would never crawl right up the next guys tailpipe with out Allstate 170 because we knew dang well the front drum brakes had brake shoes the size of a thumbnail that would fade out if we clamped down. Finally, no one had armored jackets, armored gloves, not even helmets to make us feel safe. I remember when my Dad brought home the first Bell helmet, liberated by a guy who worked at the air base. We rode nake-headed. There was the flesh rasp within easy reach, flicking past our feet, reminding us to take it easy. No one could pretend to be invincible.

I came down the ramp toward home some years ago, there was a sad scene: a young rider in full armored gear and gaudily decorated helmet getting loaded on an ambulance, his bike planted in a car's rear. Came back by there a week or so later, there was a sadder scene: Mom, girlfriend, little sister, dedicating a cross by the side of the road. Next day, I paused to read the painted inscription: "Billy Badass".

I'm not sure all the advances in power, handling, brakes and protective gear haven't just put the yoot of America in worse danger. Made them all feel like they are Billy Badass.

Sent from my tuna can with tapakeg

Yeah, there definitely can be risk compensation and feelings of invulnerability with safety equipment, but plenty of people don't need any gear to feel invincible. I have plenty of dudes blast past me, shooting gaps through 60mph traffic at much higher speeds wearing shorts and sneakers or flip flops. They just overestimate their skill.

It was quite obvious that this guy does not understand what he is talking about.

You have certain people that will make an off the wall comment and they do so as if it is fact when in reality they have absolutely no idea.

But you cannot tell them they are wrong.

Let them go, it is not worth the hassle.

Not very many bikes have over 100 HP and the only one I truly know that does is the Triumph Rocket series.

I do not believe a single HD has over 95 HP.

So just enjoy your NC and don't think another moment about this guy.

Just some thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael

That guy is an idiot. Plain and simple. Since you can't win an argument over an idiot, you did the right thing by walking away.

The guy was/is an imbecile....simpleton...Judging by his statement he was/is just an know it all blowhard! Relax and enjoy that great bike you have.

Yeah, there definitely can be risk compensation and feelings of invulnerability with safety equipment, but plenty of people don't need any gear to feel invincible. I have plenty of dudes blast past me, shooting gaps through 60mph traffic at much higher speeds wearing shorts and sneakers or flip flops. They just overestimate their skill.

They just haven't had a wreck yet. Believe me, that will make you think and re-think.

I'll admit it

Our bikes ARE underpowered.

That said, they are fast ENOUGH for daily riding and commuting and so long S you can keep corner speed, they're fast enough for "canyon carving too."

They are slow though, seriously....

I'll admit it

Our bikes ARE underpowered.

That said, they are fast ENOUGH for daily riding and commuting and so long S you can keep corner speed, they're fast enough for "canyon carving too."

They are slow though, seriously....

Slow compared to what? My bike will smoke my car off the line, and almost every trim level of every car I've every owned (wrx excepted, and subaru turned that into it's own model now).

I did some googling to find bikes with 150 hp, there didn't seem to be many, and very few with engines less than a litter, and some of the articles discussing why people need a bike that fast were entertaining... talking about how they might need to speed away from a nuclear explosion in an apocalypse scenario, personally if the apocalypse is the concern I'd take a jeep or fj cruiser instead of a bike, though if it has to be a bike, dual sport would be my choice.

Anyhow, I'm sticking with the 12 year olds, they know what is cool.

Slow compared to what? My bike will smoke my car off the line, and almost every trim level of every car I've every owned (wrx excepted, and subaru turned that into it's own model now).

I did some googling to find bikes with 150 hp, there didn't seem to be many, and very few with engines less than a litter, and some of the articles discussing why people need a bike that fast were entertaining... talking about how they might need to speed away from a nuclear explosion in an apocalypse scenario, personally if the apocalypse is the concern I'd take a jeep or fj cruiser instead of a bike, though if it has to be a bike, dual sport would be my choice.

Anyhow, I'm sticking with the 12 year olds, they know what is cool.

Slow compared to virtually anything on the road, once you get above 60 miles per hour. It falls flat on its face, and anyone not willing to admit that is, well, lying to themselves.

It's not a bad thing though.... the bike makes torque down low and has power low in the rev range to do what it was designed to do very well -- commute at regular speeds, say 30 to 65mph, with enough passing power to get up to about 80 or so before it really starts to lack the ability to accelerate further.... and it does it all while having huge storage compartments and unbelievable gas mileage.

So, to answer your question, slow compared to what? My Chevy pickup is faster than my NC700x, as is my wifes Kia Optima the instant you get above like 40 miles per hour.

Back