• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sony Takes on GoPro With New 'Action Cam'

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:
You still need to use the case for it to be waterproof I think. Like the remote though :)

Finally, Japan is recovering from the Tsunami and Sony is taking the lead with new products.
GoPro has to be "scared" now.
:p
I prefer the Sony form factor because it is more streamlined, as opposed to the GoPro forward facing camera. It just makes more streamline sense.

Comparison video to GoPro Hero3. http://youtu.be/Kri1CNwJIQE

I have always been a Sony fan. And I have to say I waited and waited and avoided GoPro because I really have doubts about its image quality. It was first in market but then not much more than that.

Last edited:
I'm a SONY hater, nothing requiring a memory stick will enter my house... but competition is good.

I'm not so sure memory cards are a bad thing. I'm curious why you don't like them. I have a memory stick I took to Iraq in 2003. It was a 512MB that cost $200 at that time but it still works. I'm not sure a hard drive could have handled all the abuse it took.

Plus the memory sticks can be taken out and placed into a seperate device for transfer of the files. Pretty handy. There is even a SDXC that is 2TB. Ton of space on a small device. The largest SDHC I found was 128GB.

What I do like about this is it looks to save the file in a MPEG4 format. I used a Sony Handycam at my church to record the service. It saved the files in a MOD extension which then had to be converted. Main reason I did not like Sony. MPEG4 will not require any conversion.

Eventually I will buy a system like this. Not sure which one. May wait to see if anyone tries it out and then commit.

I'm not big on Sony either.

For a while now, Sony hasn't required the Memory Stick only and they've given consumers the choice for SD/MicroSD and such is the case with this new release:

Media Type : Memory Stick Micro™ (Mark 2), Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC, Memory Card (Class 4 or Higher).​

I'm also eagerly awaiting to see more reviews and comparisons as I was about to pull the trigger on the Hero Black Edition. Thanks for sharing OCR.

Just saw that the remote for the Sony HDR-a530v is about $150 more. This would bring total to $450. The GoPro black with the remote at Cycle Gear is now $325. Go Pro was quick to reposition their pricing, as it was $400.

Still can't wait till I see the units compared in a review. Both about same size now.

Last edited:
Just saw this price reduction notice for Go Pro

Gopro hero 3 Black edition price drop to $329

So, if you want a Go-Pro, now looks like the time to buy.

The Sony remote won't be ready for a few months, the Vib has protocol problems with the iphone (order to be recognized), and the remote problems with the Go Pro seem to have been fixed.

Just reminded me of something else. If you are going to use your iphone for navigation in a county other than the USA, coverage stops once you leave the USA. The only gps app for the iphone that loads the gps maps onto the iphone internally is the Tom Tom. So if using the iphone for navigation outside USA boarders (Canada, and Mexico) ONLY the Tom Tom app works.

So last year Sony announced the AS-15... very cool, but with issues. Then shortly after the Hero 3 was announced, but with issues. My prediction is the Hero 4 is not that far out and probably worth the wait. rumors are 4k@30FPS and 1080p@120.

Also not sure is Sony changed this but when steady shot is on, you only get 120˚ viewing angle. I always used 170˚ with it off and let the SW fix it.

If it were my money up for a wearable camera, it would go to a set of Liquid Image camera goggles.
Offroad | Liquid Image Co.

As good as the GoPro is as a small camera, I can't stand it as something to hang off my helmet. It looks awful, and the one time I wore one it was always snagging itself on branches and trying to pull my head back. Even the sticky mount base that's still on my helmet gets caught on branches from time to time. Not for me.

The Liquid Image goggles seem to be a far more elegant solution to me, and give a better "point-of-view" shot than something mounter 2 inches off the top of a helmet.

Just my thoughts on helmet camera type products.

I had held Sony in high regards, growing up in the 80s and 90s. The Walkman, CD players, home stereo, VCR, etc were the gold standard. But since the late 90s, Sony had been hit and miss with their products and "innovations". What used to be the Sony gold standard had been long surpassed by others. Meanwhile, they are still holding on to their proprietary non-standard equipment that nobody cares about, as if they are the industry leader. I had given up on Sony long ago.

However good the new action cam from Sony is, I don't know if it's enough to sway people away from GoPro, which had been engrained into people's mind, just like Band-aid and Kleenex has. I think Sony is not just late to the party, it might have missed it altogether

I've been really wanted to get a camera. I was liking the Contour+2 but since they are gone now, it was left to the Hero 3 Black. NOW, another is on the board...

I had held Sony in high regards, growing up in the 80s and 90s. The Walkman, CD players, home stereo, VCR, etc were the gold standard. But since the late 90s, Sony had been hit and miss with their products and "innovations". What used to be the Sony gold standard had been long surpassed by others. Meanwhile, they are still holding on to their proprietary non-standard equipment that nobody cares about, as if they are the industry leader. I had given up on Sony long ago.

However good the new action cam from Sony is, I don't know if it's enough to sway people away from GoPro, which had been engrained into people's mind, just like Band-aid and Kleenex has. I think Sony is not just late to the party, it might have missed it altogether

I agree.
I wonder why they changed many of their CEOs to Americans and English and then they screwed up everything Sony made in last 30 years.
:p

Took my bike in for a service today and they were having a sale on the GoPro Hero 3 Black for $325. I have been wanting one but after seeing this thread thought I might wait. Well the sale was to go to pass up. I know nothing about these things but I was surprised when he told me I needed an SD card. I was kind of assuming based off some conversation on this thread that the GoPro did not have a SD card. Well now I know it does too.

Back