• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Soon to be NC700 owner

Devilsfan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all!

Made a trade for my V-strom on a used 2013 NC700 with DCT. I currently own the V-strom as well as a 2015 CTX700, manual with fairing that I bought brand new a few years ago.

Been itching for an adventure type bike and found the V-strom a few months ago. Love the "V" but I really wanted an NC700...and it had to have the DCT. Came across one on Saturday, finagled a deal by trading in the V-strom and will pick the NC700 up on Saturday!

Been a member of the CTX700 forum for a few years now so I'm well aware of the engine. Hope to gain some more knowledge on the NC and maybe be able to share a few things as well.

Love what Honda did with these motorcycles!

(Been riding for many years. Mostly owned Suzuki's - Volusia, 2 Intruder 800's, Marauder, Ninja, VTX1300 and finally traded a VTX1800 for the CTX, and the V-strom which will be traded in this weekend.)

Welcome to the D(ark)CT side!
Once you're on the NC, you may have to put the CTX on permanent trickle charger :)

Welcome to the D(ark)CT side!
Once you're on the NC, you may have to put the CTX on permanent trickle charger :)

Ha! Funny you say that because the CTX, since I bought it in 2015, has been my baby! Honda designed that bike perfectly for me!!! (Many owners say that!) I traded my VTX1800 for the CTX and never looked back.
I did ride my CTX to the dealer and never thought in a million years I'd even THINK about trading her in...but I would have...maybe...but the deal had to be stellar. I'm gonna take about a $500 hit on the trade for the NC but it's what I want so I just have to suck that up.
Even before the V-strom I was thinking of trading in the CTX, but I just couldn't do it! All it took was to jump on it and go for a ride to realize how great that bike is to me! But, like just about EVERY motorcycle owner I've known one thing is certain...we're NEVER 100% satisfied! (Not enough power, could have used a shaft drive, too slow, too fast, too light, not enough cargo, etc...)
I'll give the NC a go and see how I like it. If it's not for me then we shall see what becomes of it. In the meantime, I'll have two of the same bikes in different styles!

Thats awesome! I love my NC, but honestly if you were closer, i might trade my for a v-strom, much love for those bikes too...but i love my frunk!

Hey all!

Made a trade for my V-strom on a used 2013 NC700 with DCT. I currently own the V-strom as well as a 2015 CTX700, manual with fairing that I bought brand new a few years ago.

Been itching for an adventure type bike and found the V-strom a few months ago. Love the "V" but I really wanted an NC700...and it had to have the DCT. Came across one on Saturday, finagled a deal by trading in the V-strom and will pick the NC700 up on Saturday!

Been a member of the CTX700 forum for a few years now so I'm well aware of the engine. Hope to gain some more knowledge on the NC and maybe be able to share a few things as well.

Love what Honda did with these motorcycles!

(Been riding for many years. Mostly owned Suzuki's - Volusia, 2 Intruder 800's, Marauder, Ninja, VTX1300 and finally traded a VTX1800 for the CTX, and the V-strom which will be traded in this weekend.)
Welcome

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from Vermont. I seriously considered buying a V-Strom long before the NC was introduced to the U.S. market. I sat on a used one at a dealers warehouse and found it to be too top heavy for me with half a tank of gas in it. Of course being on crutches with an air cast from the knee to the foot on my left leg after a motorcycle crash may have had something to do with it.

Opinions on Pre-2016 DCT Sport Settings

I just sold my Honda Silverwing. Great bike/scooter.

Now in the market for a NC700x DCT. Is it the opinion of the current forum users that the extra Sport DCT settings really is a tremendous advantage over the pre-2016 models? The difference in price is huge! Maybe $2,000 more for a 2016 over a nice, used, low mileage pre-2016.

Your opinions are welcome.

Ed

Now in the market for a NC700x DCT. Is it the opinion of the current forum users that the extra Sport DCT settings really is a tremendous advantage over the pre-2016 models? The difference in price is huge! Maybe $2,000 more for a 2016 over a nice, used, low mileage pre-2016.

Ed

I have a 2013 Model DCT. The single S-Mode is plenty for most riding conditions that I have encountered. I am sure that most 2015 and older owners will agree with me on this subject. You can also use the "MT-Mode" when the S-Mode does not meet your expections. You can use the "+ or -" to override the shifting at anytime or when required.

If you are looking for an economical solution and getting a bike that has already been pretty well Farkled out, then you should buy used.

If you are looking to part with your money quickly and to Farkle the bike yourself, then you should buy new.

giphy.gif

Thank you for the response. It makes perfect sense. The bike I am looking at isn't farkled, just a very low miles pretty bike. With the money I avoid spending on a new one, I will be able to toss the savings into some items as I figure out what I want. As I look at the used market i'm seeing a bike with 4 gallons of storage in the frunk and folks bolting additional storage in top cases and saddle bags. Seems overkill.

I'm thinking bigger foot pegs, it already has a bigger windshield. I guess a luggage rack and quick release top case with back rest for the wife to be comfortable.

What were some of your upgrades?

Thanks,

Ed

As I look at the used market i'm seeing a bike with 4 gallons of storage in the frunk and folks bolting additional storage in top cases and saddle bags. Seems overkill.

I'm thinking bigger foot pegs, it already has a bigger windshield. I guess a luggage rack and quick release top case with back rest for the wife to be comfortable.

It all depends on how you are going to be using it.
Touring? Then storage is never overkill. Especially when you can remove it in 10 seconds.
I have bought two for my daughter's. A DCT and a manual. Both 2012 and low miles. Both slightly farkled.
Manual:
* Denali Driving lights
*Stock trunk.
*Powerlet cigarette power outlet in frunk.
*Lowered with soupysperformance.com links and adjustable kickstand.
*Since it was lowered put on the 700S center stand.
*pigtail for heated gear
*tall Honda windshield
*RDL seat
* Cameleon plus automatic chain oiler.
* Two Brothers Exhaust
* Kijima engine guards
* Michelin PR4 tires
* 700S center stand

Things in the future.
Barkbuster hand guards.
Heated grips
Stock side bags. I like the look better when bags are on or off.
Denali sound bomb horn

DCT:
* SW MOTECH removable saddle bag mount.
* GIVI E22 bags
* 22" aftermarket touring windshield.
* DanMoto slip on exhaust
* Cameleon Plus Automatic chain oiler.
* aftermarket seat
* Soupysperformance.com lowering links and adjustable kickstand.
* Battery tender cigarette style power outlet.
* Battery tender charger connector which can be used for power out or battery charger.
* Kijima engine guards
* on road/off road foot pegs (you can remove the rubber center)

Future:
Driving lights
Heated grips
Denali sound bomb horn
Barkbuster hand guards
Givi top box

I love the huge difference that the exhaust makes for the sound. Not loud or obnoxious but now it sounds like a motorcycle instead of a sewing machine. That parallel twin sound is distinctive and I love it. The two brothers may give it a little deeper sound but it is over $400. The DanMoto carbon slip on exhaust is maybe 2# and only $135. Both my daughter's love the huge difference.
f500b9b30963c1ed36642d14b175f25f.jpg
26a39711f07a682f00a43805cdbb7645.jpg
8ee8dbd220343e84a930ff4ffc31b356.jpg
5b71b255a00e75f6251da7a48da1438a.jpg
7e15668167388fc955d9690a280261da.jpg
1fbcd3e2b41b587306ba62e0b61a5b70.jpg
5f7b718984ae1474a5afbf0876b3dd3e.jpg

And it was the PO that put the Honda decal on the wrong sides so they look backwards.

I like the kijima engine guards because they are the only guard's that came out away from the bike. Wanted that so it protects your leg and the bike doesn't lay on your leg in case of a tip over. Wasn't worried about off road riding. Plus you can install Hwy pegs on them or sew covers to block wind when it gets cold. Only place to order them is WeBike.com
Only small draw back is you have to remove the right U-bolt mount when you adjust the valves.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
278a1a08e71e76fab99ca88294b2c8dd.jpg
36dd43b94cdf31ce367809e68386d3d3.jpg

Last edited:
What were some of your upgrades?

Thanks,

Ed

I have two NCs and they're both heavily modified. At last count, one of them had almost 40 different upgrades. What you might want to add or change will depend on how you want to use the bike. No two will be alike.

I'm not a DCT owner, and thus no DCT expert, but I have test ridden many of them. My original opinion was that the single drive mode and single sport mode were not enough choices. Then Honda introduced two more sport modes and I thought prayers were answered, but after trying that out I was not as impressed as I thought I'd be. In the end, even with one sport mode, you'll always have manual mode and auto mode shift override. Some riders have reported resorting to using manual mode all the time (which is what I always ended up doing by the end of my test rides). I would not spend more just to get the three sport modes.

Last edited:
Updates I can recommend :
- better windshield, the taller Honda is good for me
- better seat, satisfied with my Shad so far
- top case, as my helmet is one of the few that does not fit in the frunk, and I need the extra storage for daily commute anyway
- handguards (Givi) and heated grips (Technoglobe) so that I can use the bike winter long (well, our not-freezing / hardly-snowing European winter)
- center stand (SWMotech) makes regular care much simpler

I also put crash protections on all my bikes to limit the cost of my way-to-regular slides, but did not test the Givi bars on the NC yet (it as been only 4 months after all ;) ).

And for traveling I got a Bagster frunk pad (already owned the gear) and K22 (same as G22 but branded Kappa) side paniers with mount.

I also have cheap additional lights that are useful when moving between cars in heavy traffic.

Ed

can't say because I haven't even looked up how to switch the S modes. although that might say something

Back