• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Still kicking tires: Some questions

Towjam

Reaction score
Visit site
  1. Has anyone had an opportunity to "test" (intentionally orotherwisee) how watertight the storage compartment is?
  2. Is Honda still skimping on the toolkits for their US models? According to the owners manual for the Euro-released models, the toolkit looks pretty complete.
  3. Is there a drain hole to mitigate fueling overflow?
I have an opportunity later this week to take a demo unit out for a full day. This may be the highlight of my week off. :)

I've been riding for days in heavy rain without ever get some in the compartment that stays dry and nice. And yes, the Honda US is still playing the Ebernezer Scrooge song regarding the tools that all European bikes get without any fuzz.

Once you ride the bike you will love it! I have about 800 miles on mine now and my only real complaint is the seat...after an hour of riding it is uncomfortable, and you will slide forward on braking.

To answer your questions.
1. I seem to be the only person on the forum that has had any issues with the storage compartment being watertight. I had the dealer look at it and test it and found it watertight. I got caught in a torrential downpour and had the bike parked uphill, I think water must have pooled up and when I opened the lid, some water seeped in. I do believe it is pretty watertight...others give your opinion.
2. Yes, they are skimping on the toolkit in the US. All I got was a screwdriver, fuse puller, and helmet wire. Some others didn't get all of those items.
3. Yes, there is a drain for fuel overflow.

Yeah, all I got for tools was a helmet cable, nothing else. Have not tested the waterproofness of the storage yet, and have overfilled the fuel tank on my first fill up.

I got drowned this week in severe thunderstorms from Isaac. The contents of my not-a-tank stayed bone dry except when I had an item caught on the weather seal which allowed water to get in. My fault.

BTW, my Givi v35 sidecases stayed dry as well. I am really very pleased with them.

I got drowned this week in severe thunderstorms from Isaac. The contents of my not-a-tank stayed bone dry except when I had an item caught on the weather seal which allowed water to get in. My fault.

BTW, my Givi v35 sidecases stayed dry as well. I am really very pleased with them.

Kinda wishing I did more research before rolling the honda storage into financing the bike, since I must wait until November for shipment for the rear trunk. Wishing I went the GIVI route. I think they look better and less wait. Liking the tail lights on them too.

1. Has anyone had an opportunity to "test" (intentionally orotherwisee) how watertight the storage compartment is?
  2. Is Honda still skimping on the toolkits for their US models? According to the owners manual for the Euro-released models, the toolkit looks pretty complete.
I have an opportunity later this week to take a demo unit out for a full day. This may be the highlight of my week off. :)

Towjam,
I can vouch for the 'security' and water-tightness of the built-in storage locker. We've had a great bit of rain for the past couple of weeks, and its pretty darned dry in there after the beating of rain it took. I've seen the Euro posters' tool collection looking quite impressive. I do believe that will not be the case if one has 'stuff;' protruding through the seal (intentionally or otherwise). On the subject of fueling overflow, I'm not sure about that. I've been careful to not splash (so far). Now that you mention it, I may have to go look...

Towjam - well? did you take the opportunity and spin it for a day? What did you think? Myself, I absolutely love it! But my point of reference is limited to this bike as it is my first... Anyway, I'm always curious to hear from others their impressions of the NC700...

Towjam - well? did you take the opportunity and spin it for a day? What did you think? Myself, I absolutely love it! But my point of reference is limited to this bike as it is my first... Anyway, I'm always curious to hear from others their impressions of the NC700...
It will be later this week before I do the demo. However, I've already done one test ride a few weeks back on the DCT and was impressed. My reason for doing a full day demo is because I can. :)

The compartment is watertight for me. Drove home from the dealer in a deluge for 20+ miles. Storage compartment was nice and dry. I can see how it could appear to leak when you open the lid, especially if water pools in the channel created by the lid and sealing surface.

2. Here is the tools list I got fr my local Honda agent.

> 1) Fuse Puller
> 2) Wire, Helmet Setting
> 3) Bag for service book
> 4) Screw Driver (+ –)
> 5) Grip
> 6) Spanner, 12x14
> 7) Wrench, Box
> 8) Wrench, Hex, 5mm
> 9) Spanner, 8x12
> 10) Spanner, 10x14
> 11) Eye Wrench Handle, 12mm
> 12) Eye Wrench, 22mm
> 13) Eye Wrench, 27mm
> 14) Tool bag

I checked I had everything except the "bag for service manual" is actually a clear ziplock plastic bag...confirmed by agent rep.

Anyway as long as the tools are not missing I am fine...

3....didn't notice any drain hole ...but I did slashed petrol all over the first time I pump gas...talk about aiming properly!

Cheers

I've been riding for days in heavy rain without ever get some in the compartment that stays dry and nice. And yes, the Honda US is still playing the Ebernezer Scrooge song regarding the tools that all European bikes get without any fuzz.

At least our American cousins pay less for their bike in the first place

Hi mark9911, here in SA we still have 'petrol attendants' who fill up your tank, and one over zealous guy did spill a drop or two, which we then found drains through a pipe to the side stand area of the bike. So no spilling all over the passenger area or where ever. Quite nifty, I'd say.

Well the UK has virtually become the 63rd state of the USA as our government jumps to their orders. Sadly we don't the advantages that they do such as much cheaper cost of living. You only have to look at UK petrol (Gas) prices.
Sorry didn't mean to get into polotics as this is not the appropiate place.
No offence to the American people by the way as since my sons weddinh back in the summer we now have american family

No offence taken! As a matter of fact, come on over - plenty of room! Although sadly, our lack of the "Hogwarts Express" and our affinity for coffee, not tea does take some getting used too...! LOL Quite honestly I think most of us Americans are numb to politics. At least I am, so no offence taken at all.

I appreciate the fact that you are not keen on tea. After all if you really liked it you wouldn't have thrown it all in the water at Boston :)
My daughter in law was brought up by her uncle who owns a ranch and is every Englishmans idea of a true american cowboy. he's a really great guy

Hi mark9911, here in SA we still have 'petrol attendants' who fill up your tank, and one over zealous guy did spill a drop or two, which we then found drains through a pipe to the side stand area of the bike. So no spilling all over the passenger area or where ever. Quite nifty, I'd say.

Well I wasn't so lucky....there is a small inner plate inside the gas tank which I didnt noticed and together with the high gas flow caused gas to be spilled to half my driver seat...

Back