• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stupid snow. I wanna ride!

PapaC

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I just felt like ranting. Temps in the twenties and thirties here and it's getting me down.

On a positive note; I retire in 5 days!! That's right, Feb 28 is my last day in the salt mine. No more commuting! I can ride at my leisure, when and where I want!! :cool:;)

Our winter finally showed up here in SoCal less than 2 weeks ago.
While it might seem warm to most folks here, this rare, cold, windy weather is keeping me at home also. I've been thinking about traveling but it is cold enough that I'd need to get yet another pair of gloves and boots, as mine are only good down into the high 50's.
So I'm limiting myself to short rides.

The other day I rode down to the beach and went through Pacific Palisades to see where that golfer was injured in that fatal car crash. It wasn't where I thought it would be, on a unsafe corner, so I'm guessing it must have been a very high speed crash.

Our winter finally showed up here in SoCal less than 2 weeks ago.
While it might seem warm to most folks here, this rare, cold, windy weather is keeping me at home also. I've been thinking about traveling but it is cold enough that I'd need to get yet another pair of gloves and boots, as mine are only good down into the high 50's.
So I'm limiting myself to short rides.

I wish I could punch you in the face through the internet :p:mad:

On a positive note; I retire in 5 days!! That's right, Feb 28 is my last day in the salt mine. No more commuting! I can ride at my leisure, when and where I want!! :cool:;)

I am retired now 2 years. I ride almost every day ... where I want to go and when.
Snow: took the road through the high hills home and had to ride for a few miles in light snow.

There really isn't a winter season here in So. Cal., so I can ride all year.

There really isn't a winter season here in So. Cal., so I can ride all year.

Doesn’t it get too hot to ride in the summer? It sometimes does even here in Illinois. We have two good motorcycle riding seasons: spring and fall, with fall being the best. Summer is for boating and water sports, winter is for snow skiing.

Belated congrats on your retirement. It sounds like you’re enjoying it!

Last edited:
Here in NW Washington we get four seasons, but I would consider it a mild climate. Except on rare occasions, we don't get extreme temps, hot or cold. Therefore, we can actually ride quite a bit. Yes, we get drizzled on a lot, but if you're a lifer like me, you learn to deal with it, and when the sun and warm temps come out, there is no more beautiful place (IMHO). Lots of diversity in geography to see; mountains nearby, ocean to the west, desert to the east, lots of green countryside, and cities too, if that's your thing. All within an easy ride. :cool:

Last edited:
I wish I could punch you in the face through the internet :p:mad:

Lol - my wife was talking to her sister who lives in Iowa the other day and since they were on speaker I just had to throw in that I couldn't decide if I needed a windbreaker for my 68° bicycle ride. My sister-in-law pretty much told me what you said.

However, it's not always warm here in California. Right now it's 33° here in Walnut Creek (early morning, it will warm up later) and I am going to run an errand on the NC. I have to do about 30 miles on the freeway so I am going to be COLD. I could take my car but I don't want to be a soft Californian.

Doesn’t it get too hot to ride in the summer?

At 105 F, some might think it too hot. You get a few of those in summer around here.

I wish I had figured out how useful a good MESH coat is sooner.
I wear that most of the year. (Tourmaster Air Intake $150)

If I may....
a good approach to riding in heat is to soak a cotton shirt completely in water (say, at rest stop),
put the shirt on, then put a mesh coat over it.

Wind rushing through the mesh causes the water to evaporate and cool you down CONSIDERABLY.
It drys out in 40 minutes (?) but you just stop and find a place to soak it again.

Useful when riding in desert country.

ALSO: if you're making the west coast your riding target, you're welcome here, 50 miles North of San Diego. We have two small guest rooms. PM me if you plan to stop by.

Last edited:
Yes, we get drizzled on a lot, but if you're a lifer like me, you learn to deal with it, and when the sun and warm temps come out, there is no more beautiful place (IMHO). Lots of diversity in geography to see; mountains nearby, ocean to the west, desert to the east, lots of green countryside, and cities too, if that's your thing. All within an easy ride. :cool:

I'm planning a ride up through that state this summer. I've heard that it's beautiful country and one should not miss it.
Maybe a border to border ride: San Diego to some place on the Canadian border.

What's the best weather time of year for that?

I'm planning a ride up through that state this summer. I've heard that it's beautiful country and one should not miss it.
Maybe a border to border ride: San Diego to some place on the Canadian border.

What's the best weather time of year for that?

Late spring would be my choice. Say, May-June, but I would watch weather forecasts and take off when there's no rain, or not much LOL! Hit Mt St Helens first. Westport on the coast is not to be missed if you like fresh seafood, then around the Olympic peninsula, across the Narrows bridge, and into Mt. Rainier National park to see the alpine flower meadows, and of course the mountain itself. From there, you could go east through Yakima to the Bavarian village of Leavenworth. Then go to Winthrup, spend the night and ride west on Hwy 20(if cleared of snow, and open), which is one of the most scenic roads in the country. You'll end up close to the border. Just some suggestions.

I retired to Virginia to have year round riding. Or at least pretty close to it. Three bikes in the garage now. And I keep the battery's charged and the oil stirred by riding them all.

Retirements great. Anyone that ever tells you otherwise, does not know how to live.

Retirements great. Anyone that ever tells you otherwise, does not know how to live.

Thanks for that Jimmy! I couldn't agree more. Over the last couple months when telling people I'm retiring, you can't believe how many say "What are you going to do?" I promise you, my life will be full.

First social security check on the way! Time for a third bike!

My rules for retirement:

1. Turn off the tv. Go outdoors.

2. Have a project.

3. Don’t get in a rut.

First social security check on the way! Time for a third bike!

My rules for retirement:

1. Turn off the tv. Go outdoors.

2. Have a project.

3. Don’t get in a rut.

Haha! More motorcycles makes one socially secure!?

BTW, good retirement advice. And timely. My last work day is February 28.

Back