• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Switching between street tires and knobbies

Do you ride to the dirt? If not, a dedicated lightweight dirt bike like a Honda 250 might be more fun.

I live in the country and have considered one of these as a "just tear it up" bike. $400.

Monster Moto Classic Mini Bike 80cc Black - For Life Out Here

No. I was talking about different scenario... I'm riding/commuting about 120 miles a day, 600 miles a week, 1200 mils a month. 99.99 % on pavement. Using any other tires than street tires doesn't make a sense.
BUT! When I plan a week-long ride/trip, more gravel than paved roads, some non-maintained roads, I would like to have at least 50-50 tires.
So, if I put 50-50 tires on my bike right now I'll burned them before they see any off-road.

If I swap tires every time before and after the trip it would cost me at least $100 - if I take the tires off of the bike, and put them back on. Two-three times a year (maybe more), it's $300-$400.
And, since I plan to keep this bike for a couple years (at least), I can see some advantages of buying additional set of rims. But I still ask because maybe there is something I didn't think about.

And, btw, I can sell the rims later anyway ;-)

look just put Shinko 705's on and call it done. works great off road, and i can still scrub a knee on pavement with them as well. Cheap tire and last forever.

I agree.

My 2017 has BS 501/502 which are 90% street 10% off-road. The Shinko 705 may be a little more off-road.
The extra rim setup is too much of a hassle and expensive. If your off roading gets that intense you'd need to carry one of the below to your off-road site.

I had the extra rim set-up on a CRF230L in ATL CRF250L in WV and ran BS street tries exclusively.
When I sold both bikes to the same buyer a few years apart I put the zero mile OEM knobbies
back on the bikes. He got a good deal on both buys.

A big advantage of the DCT: 'walking' it out of a bog is a cake walk.
I had to cross the creek in 2 places to get around a week long road repair on Proctor Creek Rd. 100% street tires were a challenge.

Last edited:
I have 2 sets of rims. I don't have 2 sets of brake rotors so I do have to swap them. Swapping rotors adds a little time but isn't that big a deal. Honestly though I don't swap them often. TKC80 front and Mitas E07 rear last as long as a set of street tires so I mostly leave them on.

+1 on bamamate's setup!

I am on my third set of TKC80 front and Mitas E07 rear and love them on pavement and on gravel/fire roads. I get 8,000 miles out of the set and I'm a heavy rider.

I have almost 10,000 on my E-07 on my WR250R and still not quite to center bar and it sees a lot of Montana's pavement, which is typically pretty rough on tires. Looks like my Avon TrailRiders might make it to 8000 or 10,000 so I can't wait to see what the deeper treaded, more aggressive Avon TrekRider can do. The Trailrider is slightly better on wet pavement than the Mitas, but either way a good case is made for multi-purpose tires.

... TKC80 front and Mitas E07 rear last as long as a set of street tires so I mostly leave them on.
How many miles you are talking about?
recently bought my NC so don't have any experience with this bike and Michelin Pilot Road 3/4 tires. But on my ST PR3 (2 sets) would last in shy of 10K miles.

Back