• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The Africa Twin is Back: CRF1000L Africa Twin Confirmed for 2015

CW editors are power junkies that scoff at a bike under 100 horsepower. They're so spoiled they don't understand real world motorcycle use.

If I remember correctly I thought they gave our little lowly NC's a good write up ?

My opinion of Cycle World is very low. .

I have to disagree. For years I always knew I would get an honest assessment of a new motorcycle from CW. I admit they have not been quite as good since recent change of ownership and editors, but I don't agree that they are as bad as you make them out to be. There are some really classy riders on their staff, both offroad and on.

In quoting their pros and cons I was just showing a refreshing calm in their assessment instead of all the hype and excitement that (well catered for) journos have been spouting to date.

Still trying to figure this one out ??
Hint: how hard do you push your bike in the rain, on unfamiliar tires and unfamiliar roads, with an unfamiliar auto shifting gearbox? Now back off a bit because you don't want to crash the bike at it's world media release and be the only one to do so.

If I remember correctly I thought they gave our little lowly NC's a good write up ?
CW liked the NC at first, then they got tired of it when the Yamahas and other shiny new bikes came out.

One beef I have with CW is more personal. I wrote a letter to the editor to correct a technical error in one of John Burn's articles (not a rare occurance, BTW). CW printed my letter, but they edited out some of what I wrote and essentially changed its meaning. So here is a letter with my name on it that they published, but it's not even exactly what I said.

CW printed my letter, but they edited out some of what I wrote and essentially changed its meaning. So here is a letter with my name on it that they published, but it's not even exactly what I said.

Position understood. I have no doubt I would have been equally annoyed with them under such circumstances.

Honda has made the windshield on the new Africa Twin from polycarbonate and the accessory tall windshield is polycarbonate. Glad to see Honda now going first class putting safty first. No cheap acrylic windshield on the Africa Twin. This will hurt the companies selling after market windshields.

Saw this video and thought this is the "definition" of off road riding.

[video=youtube;lbeS4uaxzLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbeS4uaxzLM[/video]

Very skillful riding by a real expert. He had to work very hard at it though and the weight of the bike was so obvious on that long dusty uphill coming towards the camera. Once again, such riding was more down to the rider than the bike. I bet he could have done the same with a Super Tenere or the like. Thanks for posting OCR. As always, such clips are highly entertaining. However I get a strong feeling that You lust heavily after this bike !!

Agree. It seems like the rider is either being overly dramatic for the camera, or struggling with the bike. He seems to be needlessly all over the trail on the uphill.

Last edited:
Some of the things he did would be difficult for most of us on a small bike. The hill seemed quiet steep and loose gravel, most would be all over the place as he was. I rode a friends DR650 on similar terrain, that's something I have no interest in doing again. Too heavy and hard to control the power input in those situations. I looked like Stevie Wonder on a bike, his tan may be better than mine.

Very entertaining vid! I can't help but think, in such circumstances, that just because one _can_ do a thing does not mean one _should_. WAY too big, tall, and heavy a bike for that track. Excellent riding, though.

Some of the things he did would be difficult for most of us on a small bike. The hill seemed quiet steep and loose gravel, most would be all over the place as he was. I rode a friends DR650 on similar terrain, that's something I have no interest in doing again. Too heavy and hard to control the power input in those situations. I looked like Stevie Wonder on a bike, his tan may be better than mine.

That hill and surface would be child's play on a proper dirt bike, which of course the AT is not. But, it's impossible to know the slope angle because photos and video never do justice to steep inclines.

However my dirt bike weighs barely over 200 pounds, not 500.

Last edited:
He is having to work it but that is an enduro course. I've seen the course in another video and the dirt bikes were having to hit the hill fast to make it up. Dude has some serious skills.

Apparently the 2016 year model is sold out for Canada ! Don't know the source nor if it is trustable but here is the text:

""We are currently sold out of the 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin. The response was awesome at the Calgary Motorcycle Show and we took 20 deposits at the show. We are still accepting deposits subject to availability, but most likely you will be getting a 2017 model if you put a deposit on one now. The response has been incredible for the Africa Twin, so Honda Canada will be early releasing the 2017’s in September."

A review from a 5' 7" Portugese guy ( Cager on two wheels ). I think he still owns an NC 700X.

[video=youtube;t2ltSW_BFLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ltSW_BFLg[/video]

I got it for (only) one mounth... Then I sold it... Very good bike, but not for my city life...

Pic of the Day1:
d4778d40d4ad357cc6ef8023cad5e278.jpg

Much better on off-road:

https://youtu.be/TsNfRnguHjs

Last edited:
I saw a member on the AT forum also sold his after a short period. I have no doubt everyone will have no trouble getting a purchaser. Keeping mine though ;)

I agree with Griff.
BTW, I sold my Explorer and have a BMW r1200r and a NC700XD.
Times, they are a changing’

inditx

Back