• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The First Sargent Seat

Spaceteach

Reaction score
Visit site
I have posted some pics of my Sargent seat in the Gallery section of the Forum for those who are interested. This seat was done by the Sargent Custom Services. Everyone at Sargent that I talked to was very interested in the NC, but they said they didn't know if they would be making a seat for our bike or not. Bottom line is that for now if you want a Sargent Seat you have to send in your stock seat and have them modify it.
Initial observations:
Comfort. Sargent uses a firm foam they call Supercell in their seats. They tell you that the seat has to break in before you will see the maximum comfort. Mine only has a few hundred miles on it so far, but I can feel it starting to break in. Even without break in it's still a lot more comfortable to me than stock. Looking at the seat, the changes are pretty subtle, but quite effective. I'm one of those riders who needs to periodically shift riding position to stay semi comfortable. With the stock seat, I could shift position a little, but I didn't really get any relief. After the mod I seem to have three usable positions on the seat. Don't get me wrong, this seat is seriously short, and I'm not talking about moving much, but it is enough to help delay the onset of the dreaded butt burn. I'm not a long distance rider. If I need to go over 400 miles, I'll normally take the car. But I would estimate that I can now comfortably go about four times further than with the stock seat.
Style. Personally I really like the way this seat looks on the bike. When I was looking at sample photos on the Sargent web site I saw a Sport Skinz cover that had a V-shaped upholstery pattern on the pillion and asked them to do the same on mine. Everyone has their own sense of style, and you may not agree, but I think it blends in nicely.
Cost. This is a roll your own custom seat. On Sargent's web site under Custom Seat Services they have a list of available options. My seat had basic services for 2 piece plastic base pan, Supercell foam widen and dish front seat only, and Carbon FX inserts. If you went with the same mods based on their price list and current November promotion of 15% off and free shipping it looks to me like the bill would be under $350. If you like the V-shape in the pillion upholstery, you would probably have to call them price and availability.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Personally I think it was a great buy. I like the styling and the comfort factor works for me.

Bob

I'm ready to throw my money at the first 3rd party seat to hit the market, but sending my seat in for customization doesn't work for me. This bike is my daily commuter, leaving it sit for weeks without a seat is not an option.

I'm ready to throw my money at the first 3rd party seat to hit the market, but sending my seat in for customization doesn't work for me. This bike is my daily commuter, leaving it sit for weeks without a seat is not an option.

+1. I'd much rather just purchase a seat and keep the stock seat. This also allows you to sell the aftermarket seat when you sell/trade in the bike, which is nice.

and for the bums (like me) who don't want to go looking for the pics.....

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

trey

Has anyone by chance forwarded this thread to Sargent?

Not that we're a significant number of potential customers in total, but given the small percentage of us online, and the demand for a reasonably priced, replacement seat here, seems they could extrapolate a large demand potential in the market in total... I sure think the demand is there.

fieldofdreamscorn.png

trey

Actually the calls and emails have gotten their attention. Everyone I talked to at Sargent said they were surprised in the level of interest they were seeing in the NC700.
When the seat was modified, I drove up in the car due to weather. Yesterday I rode the bike up to give them some feedback and let them see it on the bike. The rep that oversaw my seat mod, their R&D person, the man that did the foam shaping, and the boss all checked out the bike and seat installation. The good news is they all seemed interested in the application. However, they all said that they had not made any decision on developing a seat for the NC. Let's face it, this bike has just been released in America and a lot of manufacturers are going to wait and see how successful it is before they spend the time and money required to develop bike specific accessories.

Bob

I dont know who I'm going to buy a seat fron but I'm going to buy a seat for my NC700. If I could buy that seat fron Sargent's I would be placeing the order instead of posting this.

Actually the calls and emails have gotten their attention. Everyone I talked to at Sargent said they were surprised in the level of interest they were seeing in the NC700.
When the seat was modified, I drove up in the car due to weather. Yesterday I rode the bike up to give them some feedback and let them see it on the bike. The rep that oversaw my seat mod, their R&D person, the man that did the foam shaping, and the boss all checked out the bike and seat installation. The good news is they all seemed interested in the application. However, they all said that they had not made any decision on developing a seat for the NC. Let's face it, this bike has just been released in America and a lot of manufacturers are going to wait and see how successful it is before they spend the time and money required to develop bike specific accessories.

Bob

Tell them they need to ride a NC700X a few hours, and then they will know why all the interest!
I went on a ride today with a Harley, Yamaha Road Star and 81 Goldwing. Before I left the house, I was tempted to put a 2x4 on top of the seat for more comfort.

Tell them they need to ride a NC700X a few hours, and then they will know why all the interest!
I went on a ride today with a Harley, Yamaha Road Star and 81 Goldwing. Before I left the house, I was tempted to put a 2x4 on top of the seat for more comfort.
My other bike is a Road Star with a custom Corbin saddle. Switching between the two bikes is like going from a Tempurpedic mattress to an Iron Maiden.

My other bike is a Road Star with a custom Corbin saddle. Switching between the two bikes is like going from a Tempurpedic mattress to an Iron Maiden.

speaking of Corbin, I emailed them yesterday with the reply of yes they are going to make a seat for the NC but didn't have a timeline as to when.

Bear in mind my offer to loan you a front seat section for modification if you wish to avail yourself of it. I do not have an extra rear half, but you can commute with the rear half missing. That is how I am running the bike now as I wait on my Russell. The Russell is supposed to ship on November 23.

The way it works is I send the "extra" stock seat to you - or mail it directly to your seat manufacturer at your choice (2nd option saves you postage). When your custom seat is back you send me your stock front seat so it is available for someone else - or save it at your home until the next forum member needs it (2nd option saves you postage again). No charge but I ask you to pay the postage both ways.

There is one other possible option for some members. While I was talking to the Sargent representative who headed up my seat mod I thanked him for allowing a ride in for my seat mod. He said that November and December were their slow season and that while they didn't advertise it they can sometimes accommodate people who schedule a ride in during this time frame. If you live within a couple hundred miles of Jacksonville, and like the idea of the Sargent seat, you may want to call them and see if they'll do the ride in for you. If you don't feel up for a long bike ride in the winter you can take off the seats and drive there in your car. It only took them about 5 hours to do my seats and those were the first. They may be able to do it in less time now that they've done one. At any rate if you think this would work for you, give them a call and see what they say.

Bob

There is one other possible option for some members. While I was talking to the Sargent representative who headed up my seat mod I thanked him for allowing a ride in for my seat mod. He said that November and December were their slow season and that while they didn't advertise it they can sometimes accommodate people who schedule a ride in during this time frame. If you live within a couple hundred miles of Jacksonville, and like the idea of the Sargent seat, you may want to call them and see if they'll do the ride in for you. If you don't feel up for a long bike ride in the winter you can take off the seats and drive there in your car. It only took them about 5 hours to do my seats and those were the first. They may be able to do it in less time now that they've done one. At any rate if you think this would work for you, give them a call and see what they say.

Bob

I wish I could get there as I was really impressed with the sargent seat that I bought for my ZRX 1200 R

Beemer,

Did you order a Daylong version of the Russell seat? How do they set it up without seeing you on the bike in person? Please let us know how the seat works out...It is my biggest complaint on this great bike. I would pay to speak to you for 10 mins about some of your mods.

SVO

Back