• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The NC700X is a pavement commuter ADV poseur, only good for smooth gravel roads.

L.B.S.

Fixed Idea
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So what does that make an FJR1300? :p

This is a video of some dude (in Japan, I'm guessing) riding around on his Yamaha FJR1300.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWng5pEtgkg&feature=youtu.be

Watch the video. Granted, he does bite it at the 11:44 mark lol, but going that fast on street tires in mud? Hardly a big surprise to me on that one, hee hee, but full respect, and my hat's off to the guy! :eek:

Think of how well he would have done with a set of TKC80's on that bike. And a few more inches of ground clearance and suspension travel. And over 150 less pounds.

You decide whether or not an NC700X with knobbies would be just as fun, or the budget bike commuter isn't even worth it.

Had to take my Concours off-road a few times group riding... Was not happy about it but I survived somehow but there was some pucker factor going on. My NC doesn't see dirt -- that's what the XR400 & DR200 are for but I would have faith in the NC to do well enough.

Think of how well he would have done with a set of TKC80's on that bike. And a few more inches of ground clearance and suspension travel. And over 150 less pounds.

If my grandmother had a penis... Well it would have been my grandfather :p

hahahaha I was just pointing out that if a decent rider on a 650 lb 1300cc full fairing sport touring motorcycle with low ground clearance with less suspension travel, and on street tires, shows that capability in the video, an NC700X with TKC80's, 150 lbs less weight, more travel, more clearance...well, I'm always puzzled by the folks who dog the bike for it's apparent lack of anything more than what they think it can do. Like "it's not worth it"

I once did a wild high voltage power line access road on my CB1100. To avoid bottoming out on the flood control bumps caved into hills I had to tie-toe across and pray. I've done fields, bad dirt and gravel roads, etc. on that bike - holding my breath half the time.

The NC700 is clearly superior even on street tires.

IMG_0993.jpg

So what does that make an FJR1300? :p

This is a video of some dude (in Japan, I'm guessing) riding around on his Yamaha FJR1300.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWng5pEtgkg&feature=youtu.be

Watch the video. Granted, he does bite it at the 11:44 mark lol, but going that fast on street tires in mud? Hardly a big surprise to me on that one, hee hee, but full respect, and my hat's off to the guy! :eek:

You decide whether or not an NC700X with knobbies would be just as fun, or the budget bike commuter isn't even worth it.

I rode

That's not "Dirt or Trail Bike" dude, I someone forgot to tell him that. Street bikes typically do not like dirt roads, more like oxen trails from what I saw there. Riding around in the jungles of Japan does not look like fun to me, at least on that bike. Give me my old 72' XL250 and I'd rip through that without any issues, even my XL600R would have been better suited for that adventure.

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his *** every time he lands....

Yes, the video is from Japan. Only had to watch the first three seconds to confirm that (road markings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting title but the U-tube video had nothing to do with the NC700X. It should have been entitled "Dirt riding on an FJR1300 in Japan"

Last edited:
I can only speak from experience. I took my NC offroad one day when it was still quite new. I was on a grassy rutted lane strewn with rocks. I got tramlined into one of the bigger ruts, then whack! I kept going in the hope that I had not done too much mischief as the lane was too rough to park and get off. I also watched the oil pressure light just in case I had hit the sump.

I finally got to some smooth track and with dread, had a look underneath. The header pipe had a serious flat punched into it by a rock, just forward of the junction at the silencer. It was clearly interfering with the exhaust gas exiting. I took it to my Tech. His words " what the f**** were you doing taking a commuter bike down that trail" ? He had a point, especially as I have a KTM 690 at home in my shed also. A replacement pipe would have been in the region of $650. He repaired it for me although welding is not his strongest skill.

The chap on the Yam was clearly a very skilled rider. He obviously was not that worried about damage and inevitably there was damage done to that bike, and not just in the fall. He didn't need to do this with such a bike as he clearly has offroad motorcycles at his disposal. So what was his point ? I think he was just proving a point. It can be done ! Personally I did not enjoy the clip as my mechanical sympathy was making me cringe throughout. :)

That guy has some skill to wrestle that pig around on those goat trails!

I have both a FJR1300 and a NC700XD in my garage. Given a choice of stock bikes, I'd definitely take the NC on those roads over my FJR! The lighter weight would be a huge advantage.

My problem would be that I've lowered the NC to accommodate my wife's short legs and this had resulted in me hitting speed bumps with the undersides, so it would be a problem on those roads. Perhaps the FJR would be a better choice with the bikes in my garage. ;) I know some guys have mounted trail oriented tires on the FJR for those types of roads, but it's still a 650lb bike with limited ground clearance.

So as a relatively novice rider (3 years riding a Honda Elite 110, 1 year on a motorcycle, 3 days on the NC-700x) with no dirt bike experience, I should totally be able to take the NC off road, right? :cool:

An interesting title but the U-tube video had nothing to do with the NC700X. It should have been entitled "Dirt riding on an FJR1300 in Japan"

But that would not have allowed me a mischievous tongue in cheek subject title. :p

Pointing out the blatantly obvious when not required, or the punch line of a joke before telling it, kinda takes away from the joie de vivre of things...

I can only speak from experience. I took my NC offroad one day when it was still quite new. I was on a grassy rutted lane strewn with rocks. I got tramlined into one of the bigger ruts, then whack! I kept going in the hope that I had not done too much mischief as the lane was too rough to park and get off. I also watched the oil pressure light just in case I had hit the sump.

I finally got to some smooth track and with dread, had a look underneath. The header pipe had a serious flat punched into it by a rock, just forward of the junction at the silencer. It was clearly interfering with the exhaust gas exiting. I took it to my Tech. His words " what the f**** were you doing taking a commuter bike down that trail" ? He had a point, especially as I have a KTM 690 at home in my shed also. A replacement pipe would have been in the region of $650. He repaired it for me although welding is not his strongest skill.

The chap on the Yam was clearly a very skilled rider. He obviously was not that worried about damage and inevitably there was damage done to that bike, and not just in the fall. He didn't need to do this with such a bike as he clearly has offroad motorcycles at his disposal. So what was his point ? I think he was just proving a point. It can be done ! Personally I did not enjoy the clip as my mechanical sympathy was making me cringe throughout. :)

I was paralised between cringing in terror that he was going to stuff it badly at nearly every turn, and simply marveling at his very nonchalant seeming skill, amazed that great lump of a bike could do what it did. :eek: :D
All I know is *I* sure wouldn't have done it on that machine! *gulp*

I made sure to put on suitable tires, radiator/engine guard bars, and an extremely healthy skid plate, before first venturing very far off pavement on my NCX. Much of the angst and probable damage was eleviated for little jaunts, after that.

So as a relatively novice rider (3 years riding a Honda Elite 110, 1 year on a motorcycle, 3 days on the NC-700x) with no dirt bike experience, I should totally be able to take the NC off road, right? :cool:

How thick is your wallet, and how good is your medical insurance? hee hee ;)

I would definitely council a bit more time riding and the sober contemplation of what the inside of a hospital room looks like, before going too crazy, lol

I've had mine off highway a few times. Some roads are not bad at all. In loose gravel those Z8 stock tires get really squirrely. Just be careful.

Back