• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The New Indian - 1100 CC

Most V two cylinder motorcycle engines this size are turning out about 65 to 70 hp. I see the shim under buckets, 4 valves per cylinder, sleeveless pistons, and the shorter stroke rod. However, I just don't see 100 horsepower? Can not wait to see this unit on a dyno.

I'll bet the liquid cooling helps bump up the power. Sure, there's now a water pump to drive, but keeping the engine temp more under control likely allows them to tune the engine more aggressively.

As an aside - not that it matters to anyone -Indian is opening a dealership right by my work shop. The Honda dealer is within a 1/4 mile from my work and the Indian/BMW dealer will be between the Honda and my work. I may have to go visit!

Was discussing this model on another board recently. I really like this Scout! Price is MUCH more favorable, too, than anything similar, or anything else from Indian for that matter. The miniscule rear suspension travel is the _one_ thing that may kill it for me, but who knows...

I'll bet the liquid cooling helps bump up the power. Sure, there's now a water pump to drive, but keeping the engine temp more under control likely allows them to tune the engine more aggressively.

The Yamaha 1300cc (larger engine) turns out 65 horsepower and 75 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel, it is also water cooled and a larger engine. A two piston V engine can not turn out the horse power of the same cc 4 piston engine. The R1 is turning out 180 horse power and it is 1000cc 4 piston.

Last edited:
I won't argue with you about a current year Yamaha R1 being more powerful than V-Star 1300, but don't forget about bikes like the RC51 and Streetfighter 848. Both twins under 1000cc putting out over 130hp. I'm not saying the new Scout is some kind of rival for a Ducati or even remotely comparable, but if Honda could get that kind of power out of a 999cc V-Twin back in 2000, I don't see any reason why Indian can't pull 100hp out of their hat today with 1130cc's.

With all those stats they should have put up the MPG estimates.
The Indian has the smallest tank (by far) so I hope it gets the best MPG.

I got to sit on one and start it up,no test ride till next month.sounds good.the seat keeps you in one spot but it was comphy.a simple dezine,I would say made for the short rider.I am 5'10 I was flat foot with knees a little bent.I was surprized at how light it was,everyone was saying the same thing.

I got to sit on one and start it up,no test ride till next month.sounds good.the seat keeps you in one spot but it was comphy.a simple dezine,I would say made for the short rider.I am 5'10 I was flat foot with knees a little bent.I was surprized at how light it was,everyone was saying the same thing.
171ad9ada5b7b165a77d80a7e82a5232.jpg
db001039e2278882b87b88656105d2a6.jpg
5a10f0b6a32210f8227ceebcca0e7fdb.jpg

I got to ride one today! Indian of Tucson is having a demo days event this weekend, and Dad and I went and rode a Scout and one of the Chiefs. The Scout is very fun! It's smaller than it seems to me in pictures, but it's big enough and the seating position is pretty comfortable. It's very quick! As in very nearly as fast as my CBR600 was, and possibly-probably quicker at lower revs/speeds. It feels pretty nimble, though turn-in is a bit slower than the NCX perhaps on account of the relatively large (wide) front tire. I'm not sure whether it'd be fun to travel long distances on or not, but it'd sure be fun as a short-hop run-around bike! Good fueling, decent ride quality, sounds & feels good. Kinda buzzy/vibrate-y as revs build, but super fun!

Stopped at Wheels Through Time this weekend and met Charlie Ransom working there. He did the riding in this video OCR posted above.
[video=youtube;Zny8Wdpk9Gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Zny8Wdpk9Gk[/video]

Talking with Charlie was a treat. The video was done prior to the announcement so in tight security. They showed up after hours at one of his events. He did not get to ride the Scout outside to get used to it so a bit dicey taking it on the wall. they took over 100 pounds of weight off. Put floor boards on and a Chief seat that was easier to move around on. The computer guru modified the engine mapping to less throttle response, flat power curve and much less power. The shot of him riding on the road were at a Polaris test track and shot hundreds of times for a few seconds of video.

Overall he thinks Polaris did a great job desiging a fantastic bike but would rather have the controls further back. He asked an engineer why the controls were feet forward and the engineer rolled his eyes and said "That it is what marketing thinks will sell."

Dale was in good spirits starting up a lot of bikes in the museum so overall a great time to visit.

Here is a first look with OEM things added.stage one pipes.bags,rear seat,windshield,highway bars.
9e44214bd94bdf46ff1e037f85cac60f.jpg

Back