• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Things I learned installing my new Sargent Seat and Passenger Seat Cover

Lars

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My Sargent World Sport seat came today, so I thought I would share a couple of photos and a few things I learned:

1) Best not to strip out the "under the foam" head of one of the passenger seat attachment bolts... then also not a good idea to cut a cube out of the seat foam trying to get at the bolt head (I was redoing the cover anyway, so it seemed like a good idea). Anyway, the bolt head is just a flat piece of metal with some plastic tabs holding it, could not even get a pliers or needle nose on it. Ended up using a dremel tool to cut off the nut on the underside, while trying to not let the neighbor kids hear my creative use of language while cutting it off.. Replaced the foam cube, then had to finesse it with some packaging tape to make sure there was no bump or divit visible when recovered.

2) I did learn a neat trick: after dropping about four different nuts and washers into the deep inaccessible nooks and crannies of NC700X rear bodywork, I discovered that popping the plastic plug on the underside of the fender and prying open the body panel a bit will usually liberate the misbehaving nut or washer..

3) If any of you are putting a new cover on the passenger seat, as is the case with a Sargent seat kit, just staple the new cover over the original vinyl cover and forget about the moisture barrier that Sargent sends along. Pull out most of the original staples, leaving about every third one, then stretch and staple the new cover over the original one. Worked great.

Anyway, here's my new seat with matching red piping - I think it looks pretty sharp!

NC Sargent Seat 2.jpgNC Sargent Seat 1.jpg

I did learn a neat trick: after dropping about four different nuts and washers into the deep inaccessible nooks and crannies of NC700X rear bodywork, I discovered that popping the plastic plug on the underside of the fender and prying open the body panel a bit will usually liberate the misbehaving nut or washer..

Anyway, here's my new seat with matching red piping - I think it looks pretty sharp!
We all have ghost nuts and washers down there.

Looks great with that piping accent!

Ray

Your fitment to the tank is better than my Sargent. Also, the seat breaks in, so expect that.
I'm still not 100% sure I love the Sargent for my particular butt, but it's still way better than the stock *** destroyer!

The red piping looks great on your bike. I had to raise the front of my Sargent to fit my riding style.

SleepyC and dduelin, I understand what you are talking about. In general, I have loved Sargent seats on my other bikes, but I'm not quite sure about this one yet. I'm going to try raising the front, and also try an AirHawk pad that I have on the shelf. Still feels like I am jammed down into the front of a seat depression; I may have been spoiled by my Sargent seat on my KLR650 - big wide bench with lots of seating positions. May also be that my posterior is just a tad too big for the NC700X seat configuration!!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and I will post when I find the ultimate solution for me. Trying to decide if the Sargent made $350+ worth of improvement or whether I should return it.

The Sargent seat I tried for the NC, when Sargent first came out with one, had a slippery cover and a forward slope. I had to grip the frunk with my knees when braking to avoid sliding up onto the frunk. The comfort just wasn't there, so it was shipped back on their satisfaction guarantee. Unfortunately, it was another seat option checked off the list.

I hoped that since then Sargent might have improved the seat based on customer feedback.

Last edited:
I don't think they have, 670cc. I am having the same experience you just describe. My leg muscles are getting a workout gripping the frunk. What seat did you finally settle on?

I don't think they have, 670cc. I am having the same experience you just describe. My leg muscles are getting a workout gripping the frunk. What seat did you finally settle on?

My favorite seat so far is a Saddlemen (Touring Shape) seat. "Performance" Restoration Foam & Cover Kit

It is built on the stock seat pan. It eliminates the forward slope but is not as tall and wide as a Seat Concepts. It's not perfect, but I can manage 2000 mile trips with it. It also looks good and has no advertising on it. Since it's on the stock pan it fits perfectly.

IMG_0290.JPG

Seats are highly personal as are riding styles. I don't have a problem with slippery seats. Riding a motorcycle does include moving fore and aft and using knees and thighs to control it. I've only had one that was tacky, the stock Tiger 800, and I didn't like it as it was difficult to move around on the seat when riding. Raising the front of the seat, any seat, may help if a downward slope is a bother.

Thought I would follow up with a status report on my seat improvement issues. I was a bit skeptical of raising the front of the seat as many here have done, because I didn't like the gap it left under the seat and I wasn't sure how much it would help. I did it yesterday, raised the front of the seat with big rubber plugs I found at the hardware store and bent a new hold-down strap from aluminum 1/8" bar stock as many have done here.

I was really surprised how much it helped! My Sargent seat feels like a Sargent seat again! I feel like I am sitting on the bike rather than clenching the bike between my knees! It's not totally perfect; I would like a little more room to move around, but it's a huge improvement. I just got spoiled having a big KLR bench seat to slide around on during long rides. May still save to have a Russell Day Long seat installed on the stock pan, but I can certainly use the modified Sargent.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and feedback! I know everyone comes to their own personal decision about seats, but I wanted to finish up this thread I started and add my conclusions to the forum seat data. It's unfortunate that Honda saddled such a great bike with such a lousy saddle!

Lars in Minnesota

So glad you found a solution! It's too bad Sargent can't figure this out.

The Sit & Fly / Sit&Fly Seat Cover will fill that front gap. Improves cushiness and minimizes monkey butt or rain seat problems as well.

Last edited:
I bought a piece of pipe insulation to fill the gap under the seat and against the frunk. It has adhesive to seal around pipe which also sticks handily to the NC's tupperware.

Back