• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

thinking about switching to yamaha...

W

wildeone

I must say I feel very disappointed recently with honda quality.
I own nc750x for just a bit over a year, 15k km (9300 miles) and I had
already 3 recalls. First was frunk lock, next display panel and now most serious one starter solenoid...
Not to mention tyres that had to be replaced just after 6500 km (4000 miles) and bent ignition key.
In addition I just burnt a clutch completely which IMO should not happen so quickly
despite of fact I was riding like 50% off-road with this bike on sand, mud terrains.
Never have cooked clutch in any other motorcycles or cars I have own in over 30 years of riding and driving.

Because of that I am seriously considering cancelling my Africa Twin order
and looking to competitors camps. AT is also new bike, same as NC750X was
so recalls are more then guaranteed plus quality of used materials can be farther
deteriorated.

disclaimer: this is just second beer talk :p

Meh. Hubby has had his tenere for just over a year and already had issues with random stalling, same as he had with his r6. I'll take recalls any day over a bike that randomly dies while you're leaned over in a turn.
Any chance you're a sailor? "A complainin' sailor's a happy sailor" and all that.

Meh. Hubby has had his tenere for just over a year and already had issues with random stalling, same as he had with his r6. I'll take recalls any day over a bike that randomly dies while you're leaned over in a turn. Any chance you're a sailor? "A complainin' sailor's a happy sailor" and all that.

but at least yamaha is not trying put my nuts on fire LOL

p.s
not a sailor, private pilot :)

Hmmm... I'm not sure that you'll find any manufacturer today w/o any problems...

Yamaha has some recalls too for MTs, etc: cam tensioner, ABS, harness...

Tell us, really... This is not the real reason! :D ;)

Please do.

In the beginning you praised this bike, but you are beginning to reach troll status with all the whining and criticisms.

Bent key equals poor quality? Seriously? I've seen your bike on its side way more than upright. I can't help but think most of your "troubles" are from abuse.

Move on if you're not happy, or quit whining.

Last edited:
Please do.
In the beginning you praised this bike, but you are beginning to reach troll status with all the whining and criticisms.
Bent key equals poor quality? Seriously? I've seen your bike on its side way more than upright. I can't help but think most of your "troubles" are from abuse.
Move on if you're not happy, or quit whining.

when you come to the bar drink first before you start talking nonsense.
It will help you relax.

when you come to the bar drink first before you start talking nonsense.
It will help you relax.

Alcohol influenced nonsense would really serve no good purpose on this forum.

Get a KTM 690 and be a dirt god. But be prepared for everything on it to break. The Yamaha WR250R is dirtworthy and nearly bullet-proof. If you keep buying 500 lb. bikes (including your formerly planned Africa Twin) and thrashing them against the rocks, you will continue to be disappointed.

It does not matter the brand or the model, they all have two wheels and a motor. Oh yeah! I have broken all of them at one time or another.

Now days the quality is about the same in every brand and model. All that really matters is that you have two wheels and a motor!

Heck, I have even cracked the wheels and the motors.

ok, taking that burnt clutch away because it is wear and tear after all and I was riding this bike hard,

do you think 3 or 4 recalls during first year is standard today and noting to complain about???

ok, taking that burnt clutch away because it is wear and tear after all and I was riding this bike hard,

do you think 3 or 4 recalls during first year is standard today and noting to complain about???

I can tell you that Yamahas made within the last 20-30 years are have to be the hardest to get parts support for. All other Japanese Manufacturing other than Honda usually stop supporting and discontinuing the parts for their bikes within 5-7 years.

It's a lot harder to restore any other vintage Japanese bikes than Hondas. When I had my 1975 Honda CB360T and I was restoring it, I could find parts a lot earlier than for a Yamaha SX360. I also restored a 1966 Honda CA77 "Dream 305" too about 14 years ago. I was able to find most of the parts for this bike, there were a few items that are extinct and you were forced to seek other routes. This is more prevalent in all the other Japanese brands. Their philosophy is, "Build it, Sell it, and Forget it"...

All these recalls are always on the side of caution. There might be a few bikes that had a major catastrophic failures due to a poorly manufactured component. Also to be competative in a world market, manufactures are forced to source parts from the cheapest suppliers, which is not always the right thing to do. There's a trade off between component pricing and quality. Which do you want??? :confused:

If feel compelled to get a Yamaha, enjoy it as long as you before you start to see what I have presented to you. You are only hearing about all these recalls for two reasons, you own the affected motorcycle and this forum. Join a Yamaha forum and you may start hearing about all there issues other than part support.

There's my 2 cents worth...

You didn't experience the first generation FJR1300s.

Or the BMWs with their shaft drives literally catching on fire. There is a pic of one somewhere on this forum.
Heck even car manufacturer's are having major recalls multiple times a year-they all tried to kill us with their defective air bags, GM tried to kill us with their defective ignition switches, Toyota has had so many recalls I have stopped counting, Ford just announced one last month. BMW had one for their pricey cars a few months ago. It is the nature of the beast-things made by humans are fallible-heck, everything made can have issues.

Oh, by the way, I have the 2013 NC700x and it has 0, that is ZERO recalls...

Last edited:
I don't mind recalls. No manufacturer is perfect. Mistakes happen. Even if the recall is prompted by legions of lawyers for less than humanitarian reasons we still benefit. Yes, a lot of recalls can be a PITA but I'm more than happy to get my vehicles' potential problems resolved. I just took my NC in this past weekend for the starter relay recall and it turned out that my bike was not affected. The dealer was very gracious and apologetic about me having to take time to deal with the recall. I told them it was no problem at all and that I was glad that manufacturers are so proactive these days.

here try this,it might help you with ALL your problems...
1502837893.jpg

Wildone: Sorry to hear of your problems with the NC, and even more so for the fact that your being kicked while down on your luck. I have a 2014 NC700 DCT and had the meter replaced, the trunk has not been recalled for me, and the starter relay is affected and now parked at the shop, so that means I've had 2 recalls performed, twice as many as my friend that has the 2012 model that was the first year production, go figure. That being said, when I had my Yamaha Super Tenere I had a recall on the fuel tank o-ring, then for the sub-harness, so for right now, I'm even with recalls between my Honda and Yamaha, stuff happens.

Back