• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thinking of buying an NC

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lurking here for awhile, thought I'd ask some opinions.

I currently own 4 old motorcycles and I want to whittle it down to two.

My primary ride is a 1995 750 Honda Nighthawk. Great motorcycle. Not exciting, but easy maintenance (hydraulic valves) and I never go anywhere without someone asking about the Nighthawk. Love that part. Has about 40 K miles, most by me. Love the looks.

My secondary ride is a 2006 Suzuki DR650. I really like this motorcycle. Light (as compared to the Nighthawk), easy to ride, great in the mountains, surprisingly strong and has a certain workman character that I like. I've primarily used it for fire roads. I don't ever see me getting into single track, heavy duty riding. I'm 61 and too old to start learning how to ride hard in the dirt and its several hours to any real fire roads.

I'm looking at the NC700x DCT to replace these two motorcycles. This would be my first new motorcycle since I was 17. From what I've read, the NC can do all the things I do. I take four or five long weekends a year, usually to the North Carolina mountains. I might do a few miles of fire roads from time to time. I take day long rides about 2-3 times per month. My longest trip was a TAT trip (2800 miles) as far as Ark and then home on the DR. I've done some 2500 mile trips on the Nighthawk.

I like curves, but I'm not a knee dragger.

Do you think I can make the switch? If I go this route, I plan to sell in late winter and early spring then buy the NC.

I would love to hear your thoughts, especially from someone who rides Dual Sports

Hey Dubb good to see you here!

I've already given my thoughts on how much I like my NC over at the NHF so I'll defer to the experts here. In any case, there are many high mileage NC riders here who will most certainly be able to help you in your research.

Welcome!

Kitch

Moving from the mighty DR to the NC is a big change. The NC has less suspension travel, firmer suspension, 17" front tire, and less ground clearance. Also while it carries the weight well, it is heavier. Upgrading the forks with Race Tech Gold Valves, or other vendors emulators, and setting them soft takes a lot of the harshness out. At $125 that was a cheap upgrade that made a big difference. I'm hoping to do the rear shock this year though it is a bit pricier. The 17" front tire limits your choices for off-road tires. You can raise the front fender and fit a 130/60 Shinko 705. TKC80 comes in stock size and is a great 60/40 tire. The rear has more options by going with a 150/70 instead of the stock 160/60. I'm currently running the Kenda Big Block. With the lower ground clearance I highly recommend a skid plate. I use the hondabikepro skid plate. Very well made and tough. He is in the vendor section and makes a version specifically for the DCT. I have no problems keeping up with KLRs, BMWs, DRs, etc on groomed FS roads. When It gets rough and rutted on the unmaintained stuff I go slower than them but I don't have the experience they have and have been able to go everywhere they go.

Bamamate;

Had the DR out your way this summer. Rode the TAT as far as Russellville. Came home via Harrison and Mountain View. Love to get back out that way for some riding.

I agree with much of what Bamamate says. To begin with an NC is basically a Commuter motorcycle with Adventure styling, nothing more. To emphasise this further, the chassis is a modular one that also forms the basis of a Scooter. I took mine offroad once and almost wrecked the exhaust system. My Tech gave me a verbal bashing along the lines "what are You doing, taking a bloody commuter bike offroad, You should have more sense". He was correct of course. The NC is useable on graded dirt roads and similar tracks just like any other road bike, but tbh it is not and never will be, in quite the same league as your DR. As Bamate suggests, much modification will be required, and even then you still will not have the suspension travel or comfort and ability offroad, that the DR has.

The DR is a classic and a very good one at that. If I had one, I would keep it, as otherwise you are burning a bridge that you might regret. Perhaps you could consider the option of trading the Nighthawk against the NC and keeping the DR. I have five motorcycles. I have often considered parting with one or two of them, but I have had a lot of fun on all of them and my Wife always insists that I keep them, because she knows that somewhere down the line there would be regrets. These are my views for what they are worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Griff;

I actually have two Nighthawks. The 650NH is definitely going. The decision is the 750 Nighthawk or the DR. I'm thinking the DR has to go b/c if I realistically look at what I will be doing off road (not much), the DR should go. If I look at function...the Nighthawk should go. What I would really like to do is buy the NC and then make up my mind...but my wife is "encouraging" me to lower the number of motorcycles.

Another option is to get rid of both Nighthawks, the DR650, and buy the NC and a 250 dual sport.

Google "NC700X off road review". There are some favorable test ride write-ups and videos. I'm under no delusion this, or anything that isn't a dirt bike, is a dirt bike. Just pointing the way to a different opinion.

I use my NC for a 20 mile commute every day, almost year round, and long weekend adventures. I've taken it up unmaintained fire roads to get to campsites, but it's always sketchy and uncomfortable... Do-able at a slow pace, but I never really enjoy it.
I completely agree with Griff. The NC is a street bike. I'm also completely on board with the idea of having a 250 dual sport (like a WR250) to get the dirt fix.

In about a year I'll have some stuff paid off and plan on picking up a CRF250L so I can go on some of the small bike rides but I'll still keep running the NC off road. Planning to take the NC on the CBDR summer 2016.

I haven't done anything, besides the fork extenders, that I won't due to the CRF. Skid plate, suspension upgrades, better tires, etc.

Shame you had to turn around at Russellville. Some of the best views are west of Hwy 7. Except for one small part the TAT through Arkansas is all pretty well groomed county roads so you miss the good stuff. Let me know if you do plan on coming back out here. You might want to check out the Arkansas threads in the regional forums on ADVrider. a good few camp and rides happen every year. We have people come from all over to go on them. Camp Friday night, ride Saturday, and some camp Sat night.

BTW I have some pics and videos in this thread of my adventures. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-videos/4778-arkansas-rides-off-road.html

I hope to get back to Arkansas in the near future. I started out for a Nighthawk event there a few years ago, but was turned back by a huge storm. Made it as far as Nashville. Glad I turned. I would've been wet for the next 5 days.

My reports are at The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy.

I just checked your video...I've seen that in my searching on NC's. Braver than me.

Last edited:
In the I'm not a Mudder, post.........."That plan ended in the first ten yards. I was too busy trying to watch the path and gauge the holes to see which line they were taking" I can so relate to that.

I have an NC750X. If you want a fast bike this is not for you. Though it is fast enough to enjoy yourself and you can get up a good tempo in the corners. It is good at this for what it is. I enjoy it. It's good for touring. I took it down to Nice in the South of France and it was very comfortable (once I had changed the screen) and economical and will cruise well above speed limit if you want. Even in France now you can't really go faster than the speed limit without getting caught. Most French drivers now seem to obey the limit especially on the 110kph roads. About half motorways and half normal roads. 100 miles plus of curves it was great and not tiring. Off road it would not be too good. Bit heavy for dirt bike. Gentle trails I would say, with no jumps or big bumps or mud.

Most adventure bikes are NOT off road bikes. Just because you can drive them off of paved surfaces doesn't make them an offroad bike, but people think it does for some reason. Look at the extremely exposed and vulnerable exhaust on the Suzuki V-Strom. None of these bikes are designed for anything offroad, period. They can handle a smooth gravel road but so can your Nighthawk. You can take them offroad but don't complain as your bike starts breaking down and going through parts like crazy. A simple skid plate on these bikes doesn't turn them into a DR650 or XR650L. If you plan on doing anything offroad keep your DR or look at the new and very cool CRF250L. The NC, Vstrom, Versys are all street bikes. The KLR650 is more offroad worthy, but why the hell would you suffer with that POS?

Back