• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thinking of buying an NC700x & curious about the TCO in California

gatoatigrado

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, if anyone who owns an NC700x in California could give me a quick estimate of what they paid in total, I'd appreciate it!

I currently ride a Ninja 250, and have jackets and gear. I want something for road trips since my Ninja is kinda lightweight and vibrates a bit. It looks like a new NC700x would be $8100 for the DCT model, $450 of accessories (the 45L rear trunk looks nice/necessary for medium-longer trips), $917 of state fees (mostly the Use/Sales Tax), maybe $600 insurance per year (based on my current rates), so around $10,000 total.

Am I missing anything? Can I cut costs somehow? It seems like saving ~$2k buying a used, non-DCT bike from Craigslist maybe isn't worth it?

I guess there's OEM things linked in another forum, so maybe $310 of accessories using [ link 1 ] and [ link 2 ].

Regarding the OEM rear trunk, Honda has one more GOTCHA. You have to replace the passenger grabrails with a different version in order to mount that rear carrier. So that's another $108 or so. I'd recommend instead going with a Givi mount and then you have a lot bigger choice in styles and sizes of top cases for less money.

I can't speak for California, but recently an Arkansas dealer was selling new 2014 DCTs for $6000. While I realize that doesn't make any difference in your situation, what I'm trying to say is there are lower prices out there that might avail themselves to you. Maybe hold out for awhile and watch for used bikes to come along at better prices. With the NC700X being in it's fourth model year, the used market is alive.

At least one of our California members bought his NC in Arizona and rode it home. He saved a few bucks that way.

Last edited:
[...I'd recommend instead going with a Givi mount and then you have a lot bigger choice in styles and sizes of top cases for less money...]

The other positive with a Givi top box is that it can be transferred from bike-to-bike buy getting different mounts. My Givi V46 is now on its 3rd bike!

When I bought the daughters I found a used 2012 with 3000 miles on it 1150 miles from home. made a nice trip home with her on her NC and me on my Goldwing. Had trunk and a two Brothers muffler on it large stock windshield. Muffler gives the bike an awesome sound. Paid $4000 for it. In Illinois there were 2013 and 2014 going new for $5000 this spring. All NON DCT and no abs.

I bought mine the month it came out so my experience is a little different. But brand new in California, NON-DCT model with the Honda Tall Screen and rear Top Box included I think I paid about $9k.

As others have stated, and since I personally own the Honda Top box, if I had to do it again. I would get an aftermarket top box. Either Givi or SW-MOTECH.

I think $8300 otd is a pretty solid number. And your insurance and tax estimates are valid also. Great advice on the Givis. I was very fortunate to get a 2014 with only 800 miles on it for $7000. The seller simply decided to get something with a clutch. Win win. I ride with guys that have HD's and crotch rockets and they are amazed at the DCT's performance. And, I get a lot of dirty looks when I'm waiting on the sidelines while they need fuel...

Back