• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Throttle return sticking

flyinfree.00

Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed throttle sticking last night on the way to work. Tried adjusting freeplay to no avail, still sticking.

Next steps?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clean and grease the housing or cable or both? What should i use? Can't find anything specific in the service manual.

If it's the oem throttle tube (plastic), you shouldn't grease it, only clean it really well. The plastic they use is "self lubricating" and any grease/oil you put on it will just attract dust/dirt and need to be cleaned again, sooner.

If it's a metal throttle tube with direct metal-metal contact, then it should be lightly greased.

The throttle cable should be lubed with oil after cleaning. I'll leave it to others to suggest cleaners and lubes, I'm not that knowledgable yet.

That's what I'm looking for, what to use. I found an old thread discussing this issue and I couldn't get a consensus on what to use.
So even if it is an oem plastic housing and I clean it, then I have to lube it?

WD-40 is the quickest and easiest first try solution.

I have an aerosol can with the steel flex nozzle and also a gallon in my Amazon shopping cart I'm thinking of using as a chain lube.

WD-40 is the quickest and easiest first try solution.

I have an aerosol can with the steel flex nozzle and also a gallon in my Amazon shopping cart I'm thinking of using as a chain lube.

I use WD-40 to clean the chain, but It is too light for a lube [my opinion]. I used a little gear oil.

Well just disassembled everything on the throttle side to proceed with lubing. Slid the throttle tube in hair and it returned fine. Ended up the bar and wait had shifted and was holding up the rubber grip. Reassembled and everything worked fine.

In poking around it seems that if I were to lube the cables I would have to loosen everything at the throttle body to get enough play to be able to disconnect the cables at the throttle housing.

In any case it's fixed and operating normally now I just like to have a heads up of what I'm going to do before I start tearing stuff apart.

If the cables are Teflon lubed would putting the chain saver Lube through there as a lubrication for cable cause any issues?

Back