• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thumbs Up: Honda Warranty

CMGuy

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been at least two posts on this forum about leaking fork seals (infant mortality, i.e, pre-600 mile check, as I recall.). Well, I found a leaking right (throttle side) seal last week. Nothing major, just oozing oil for about 180 degrees on top of the seal but still not expected nor something that should be happening (left side completely dry).

I bought the bike used in late June with not quite 2100 miles, now have about 3500. Honda warranty still in effect until end of November. Despite fork seals being classed as a wear item, figured I had nothing to lose so called the shop I bought it from - a Honda dealer among other brands - and asked if they'd go to bat for me. Service person was skeptical but said he'd try and was up for the challenge. Just got off the phone with him and the seal is covered. Parts on order & will be calling back with an ETA so we can schedule an appointment.

Big thumbs up for Honda and the dealer's service person who talked to Honda!

thumbs up.JPG

When you do change your fork seals I highly recommend you use only the manufacture's seals (Honda). Seems like every time I have used after market seals, I get to change them again in just a short period of time. Better yet, put on the covers like Fuzzy has and you will have to do this job a lot less often.2.jpg

SmileyTwoThumbsWink.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I want to get a set of the cheater accordion boots that have a slit on the back for easy install. Not sure if I can find a pair that fit though. There was a thread a while back that had a pair that fit Harley's that might work but I don't think anyone has tried them yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Just an update to put a bow on it.

Took the bike in yesterday. Took about 1 3/4 hour. Went to the Starbucks down the block while I waited & caught up on some of my backlog of newspapers.

After seeing some of the posts about the oil coming out black, I asked that they take note of what it looked like and let me know. Answer was that it was fine. "Nothing to be concerned about." (at 3500 mi) All in all, problem taken care of, no muss, no fuss, no (well, very little) bother.

Only downside was the start of the early afternoon ride home in Tucson city traffic in full gear at ~100 - 105 degrees F. Don't care what people say about mesh jackets and pants & how well they work in hot weather, still hotter than not having them, most especially at the lights.

Perhaps when fork seals let go then the bushings should be replaced simultaneously as sometimes the wear in the bushings precipitates the failure of the seal. That is what I have found on the WP forks on my KTMs. However the NC700 seals are totally unprotected. Adding some form of protection in the form of the Triumph guards or the rubber bellows is very advisable. In the absence of such protection I suggest regular cleaning of the exposed sections of the forks to get bug and mud detritus off them, followed by a light spray of silicone. That alone kept the exposed seals on my FJS 600 in good condition for 55,000 miles.

Back