• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Timing the "Big Trip"

OneGun

Reaction score
Visit site
So after having my NC for almost 4 years now (it was my first bike, btw) I finally have some time to take a week long trip across the country... or almost across. A friend of mine and I will be leaving the Metro Detroit area and head out to Colorado/Utah, then back.

We're trying to figure out the best time of year to go. My biggest concern is running into snow up in the mountains. He suggested the first week of June, I suggested the first week of August. I know there are a lot of variables that can affect opinions on this and, of course, weather isn't always predictable, but what do you guys think?

Any/all input appreciated.

It is possible to run into snow in Colorado mountains at any time. I lived in Colorado Springs for a number of years and backpacked and camped and skied all the time. I have been skiing on my birthday at the end of June, and we have had backpack trips in February in the 70s. Snow is less likely in August. Pack an extra layer, just in case.

I'd go around mid July to mid August. BTW , I should be in Utah around the end of Sept if you're feeling lucky that late in the year.

Fog and the clouds are always a big problem in them there hills.

[video=youtube;M3wQ8fsKprg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3wQ8fsKprg[/video]

But ................... The Million Dollar Highway makes it all worth the effort!

[video=youtube;OxTJX2eLtX0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxTJX2eLtX0[/video]

I am heading out that way, leaving North Carolina June 1. It is possible to run into snow. If you go early June let me know if you want to join up. I've started a thread and I have my route attached.

Not only is there little chance of snow in August. It is the only month of the year that it hasn't snowed in Colorado. But it can rain every afternoon in the higher elevations. It did snow here last year the first week of June. We got about 4 inches. That amount has been the exception though. Out of the last eight years it has snowed here the last week of May to the first week in June three times. The odds are in your favor.

Having a limited amount of time for your trip makes it difficult. Snow that time of year is only on the roads a very short amount of time. If it is light the roads will be dry in about 24 hours. Heavy snow, maybe two days. It is beautiful to see all that white and green together.

You could always head south and ride skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway. Not as dramatic, but a fine ride. And..you don't have to cross the plains.

I've been out there several times and it really depends on the winter. Once I crossed Trail Ridge Road out of Estes Park around June 6 and they had just cleared the highway of snow. I'd go the first or second week of June. Depending on how far south you go, it starts really hot. Snow at 12K ft. in CO, 107*F. in St. Louis at 7 p.m. a few days later. Rode from Seymour, TN near Knoxville to Tec Nes Pez, AR via Denver and back. Took 8 days, 3700 miles. Loop ride. Solo but not on an NC.

Starting tonight will be an example of what we do get even though our temps are about 20 degrees cooler this time of year compared to June. We are supposed to get two to four inches by Friday afternoon. The accumulation should be gone by Sunday and that is with only a high of 40F on Saturday. I get a few pictures. In June it is much faster melt off. But fallen tree branches can be something to watch for. The trees are full in June and can't handle any significant snow fall.

It snowed again last night, about 1/4" here. This is what it looks like at 3:00pm in the afternoon. It is supposed to be in the Seventies on Monday. WIN_20160319_145137.jpg

It all depends on if you intend to get off the pavement. I would go in August. Some of the higher passes could still be snowed shut in June. We spent a week in Lake City last July 4th. There were still patches of ice and snow on The Alpine Loop, snow banks 15' high on Engineer Pass. Went back for another 2 weeks in August and it was great. Most of the mud was gone. Over around Gunnison/Taylor Park it was dusty midday but the afternoon showers took care of that too.

You can loop South through the Panhandle , New Mexico , Arizona and right into Utah. That's the Choice I made following my first attempt in April which I entered from the North through the Flaming Gorge Rec. area which was awesome. Got as far as Vernal to stay for the night then the weather took a drastic turn and found myself on icy road conditions the following day. Headed back home with no mishaps. Tried it again in April the following year using the above route and it was perfect. Got to visit Arches , Dead Horse and just toured the area for a day. I never did like taking the same way home so I decided to leave early morning from Monticello , Utah and cut through central Colorado along the Gunnison trail. That particular year , I believe it was 2012 , Colorado was very mild and dry. Lower elevation temps were in the 70's. Dropped to the low 20's through Monarch Pass then just stayed on 50 to Kansas and headed back North towards home.
Total days on trip were 6. Total miles was 3600. Would love to do it all over again.
Enjoy:).

The Rockies have their own weather. It is unpredictable. We laugh at weather reports here because at best it is a guess. We never go anywhere here without clothing for any type of weather.

WIN_20160321_184205 (2).jpg
Monday we took our grandsons camping. Beautiful day with seventy degree temps. We hurried up and packed to return home before this hit us Tuesday night.
WIN_20160323_155639.jpg
I will have to wait a day or two to park it back in it's spot because of the two foot snow drifts that reside there.

Depending on were you go and how high 3rd week in June should cover you for roads but be alert on road conditions as it can be icy but usually clears really fast. Really we run mountain bike races in the mountains in June and July. Like others have said if it does snow that late it will probably just be wet on the roads and nothing else. With that said last year at the beginning of July it was snowing at Pikes Peak. Congratulations on 4 years with the NC.

Last edited:
Back