• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)

JDE

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Anybody use one of those electronic TPMS? Been looking into getting one for the NC. So I was wondering if anyone out there has some experiences with them, good, bad, recomendations, etc..

Please don't say a manual tire pressure gauge and check before every ride. Already use that method (well not every ride). Looking for input on the wireless electronic versions.

I haven't seen any reports of messing with the balance of the tire yet. Although some of the manufactures do recomend getting the tires balanced after instalation. I have seen some reviews where people complain of leaks caused by the sensors too. Seems like every instalation can vary though depending on the wheel size and shape and the size of the sensor. They have some now that just attach to the valve stem like the cap, no need to pull the wheels off to mount inside the tire. Not sure if I would go that route though.

You can indicating valve caps. Like these...
Smartcap - Ride-On
I haven't tried them but they seem pretty cool. A little go/no go check.

I had one of these with ride-on purchase. Took my bike out of the winter storage, visually you could tell the tires is losing pressure but the TPM didn't blink at all. Later I found out manually by using the tire gauge that my tire pressure drop quite a bit. Took it away and replace it back with stock cap. I am not sure if it is reliable enough however it is very neat tool.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/826-no-more-flat-tires-2.html#post7986

I've yet to find two tire pressure gauges that agree, so would have a hard time trusting a little TPMS do-hickey to be transmitting accurate information. Having said that, WebBikeWorld reviewed the TireGard Wireless TPMS system pretty positively, with the caveat that as a system that mounts on the valve stem it should only be fitted on wheels with metal valve stems. Rubber valve stems (which the NC has) had been known to fail due to the extra weight.. Not a good thing.

with the caveat that as a system that mounts on the valve stem it should only be fitted on wheels with metal valve stems. Rubber valve stems (which the NC has) had been known to fail due to the extra weight.. Not a good thing.

This is true. I had one fail on my BMW with a rubber stem. The stem bent opposite the direction of wheel rotation until a crack formed on the leading side. I replaced the stems with short straight steel stems and they worked fine. I finally took them off the BMW and decided against them on the NC since they became just another way to get a flat. It is good discipline to check air pressure regularly. They would be great for warning you that you just picked up a nail or something if they didn't have the downsides. The aftermarket external ones hold the Schrader valves open and the internal OEM style are often easily damaged by tire changing.

I've yet to find two tire pressure gauges that agree, so would have a hard time trusting a little TPMS do-hickey to be transmitting accurate information. Having said that, WebBikeWorld reviewed the TireGard Wireless TPMS system pretty positively, with the caveat that as a system that mounts on the valve stem it should only be fitted on wheels with metal valve stems. Rubber valve stems (which the NC has) had been known to fail due to the extra weight.. Not a good thing.

I bought the Tire-SafeGuard TPMS and plan to do a full review if I ever get the monitor permanently powered. Seems the USB recharging method doesn't last very long. Otherwise I'm most pleased with it. Guess I need to get metal valve stems now. So how does that work? Is it a "one size fits all" thing? I do have the service manual, but not with me at the moment....

I bought the Tire-SafeGuard TPMS and plan to do a full review if I ever get the monitor permanently powered. Seems the USB recharging method doesn't last very long. Otherwise I'm most pleased with it. Guess I need to get metal valve stems now. So how does that work? Is it a "one size fits all" thing? I do have the service manual, but not with me at the moment....

So, dog. Any update on how the Tire-SafeGuard TPMS is working out for you? How about the metal valve stems you ordered. Are they the right size, a good fit? Just curious.

4pcs-set-car-auto-tire-pressure-monitor-valve.jpg

Back