• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Next generation NC upgrade wish list

GLC

Reaction score
Visit site
Having owned by '22 NC750xd for exactly two years and having covered 8000+ miles with some of my personal must have upgrades already installed, I found myself looking at new bikes coming on to the market lately and compared mine to see if I would be tempted to trade in for anything else. So far nothing I've seen would be a better fit for my personal circumstances (69 this year) and riding conditions (Delmarva peninsula, pleasure riding only, no commuting). That doesn't mean I consider the '22 NC750XD to be nirvana with no possibility of improving, as shown by my own upgrades. That got me to thinking that the only likely contender for a trade in would be the 'next generation NC750XD', if/when one is planned. As the last revision was 2021 we may be due for the next model in a couple of years (or maybe not), so I thought perhaps Honda would like to hear from the NC Forum with a wish list of 'must have' and 'desirable factory options' for the next generation. So below is my wish list and it would be great if forum members would let me know their 'must have' and 'desirable factory options' so that we can come up with a nearly perfect bike together. I say 'nearly' because we all know there really is no such thing as the perfect bike.
The only factory options I had installed straight away were the factory center stand and USB port in the frunck, so I'll start with those two as my first 'must have's.' Here are my next 'must have's' for the next gen bike and why:
3) Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) to stop the bike changing gear when in auto mode and leaned over. This is a constant niggle at a junction when turning left or right (particularly left).
4) Self-cancelling indicators
5) Adjustable footpegs (at 6'1" I needed the SW Motech fully adjustable pegs to get a less cramped position.
6) Additional USB port near the dash/handlebars for GPS/phone etc. I use the frunck usb for my phone/google maps etc., so the cable has to come out the top of the frunck along the rubber waterproof seal channel, which is not ideal.
7) Taller and wider screen properly wind tunnel tested to avoid buffeting and road noise which was terrible on the standard factory unit. I have a GIVI unit now which is much better but still not perfect.
8) Air temperature/humidity gauge in the dash.
9) Redesign the rear grab handle and taillight unit so that a small rack can be integrated as standard, allowing a roll bag to be strapped to it (similar to the SW Motech ALU rack which will probably be my next accessory).
10) Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) integrated in the dash
11) Brake pad wear sensors integrated in the dash.
12) Remote preload adjuster on the rear shock. Honda don't even supply the wrench to adjust the shock in the so called 'tool kit', which is just inexcusably cheap of them in my opinion.
13) Remote battery tender plug in.

Now for the desirable factory options:
14) Front fender extender.
15) Rear tire hugger.
16) Secondary TFT dash with android auto/apply car play/ GPS connectivity.
17) Bar back risers. (For my 6'1" frame I found the SW Motech bar back risers perfect).
18) Heated grips (already an available factory option I believe)
19) Heated seat
20) Cruise control for freeway riders.

I think that just about covers it for me. Others will have different priorities of course depending on their own personal circumstances, but I tried to keep the must have list down to those items I think we all deserve to have on a 2025 motorcycle from Honda for safety and convenience reasons. Thirteen 'must have's' might seem to imply the current bike has a lot wrong with it, which is not the case, but it does show there is room for improvement, justifying a model upgrade. Besides, it needs more than just 1 or 2 modifications to get Honda to update an existing bike. Most of these suggestions are cheap electrical units costing Honda just a few dollars if installed during manufacture. The windshield and rear rack are more redesign issues than manufacturing expense. Some may be surprised to see I didn't include any engine or suspension modifications. For my riding I find the power more than sufficient and the suspension, though basic, is good enough for me. Besides adding third party suspension would add hundreds to the cost not just a few dollars as with my other suggested modifications. The desirable options are all available from third party vendors today, but it would be nice to have Honda designed accessories that are guaranteed to plug, play and fit seamlessly with the rest of the bike's design. I didn't mention anything about an updated DCT system as I'm sure the latest version would go into any new model upgrade and may well be integrated with the IMU request (item 3) above.

Let me know what you all think and what would your 'perfect next gen NC750XD' come with as standard?

I have only one wish from Honda: get rid of the chain and use belt or shaft drive. Let’s bring this model up to modern vehicle standards, and stop requiring owners to lube and adjust their chain frequently. Can you imagine how well chains would go over in the automobile world? Ha! It’s unlikely Honda will get away from chains, as they seem to love the chain and use it on most of their models. The rest of the NC desirables I can modify myself.

I have only one wish from Honda: get rid of the chain and use belt or shaft drive. Let’s bring this model up to modern vehicle standards, and stop requiring owners to lube and adjust their chain frequently. Can you imagine how well chains would go over in the automobile world? Ha! It’s unlikely Honda will get away from chains, as they seem to love the chain and use it on most of their models. The rest of the NC desirables I can modify myself.
Yes! The belt drive was one of my must have's that, due to my old brain, missed the list, but was actually one of the first I meant to put on. Another one I missed was a small subtle one, and that is move the auto/manual selector to the other side of the drive/neutral switch, i.e. on the right rather than the left. That small difference makes a big difference when riding as it currently requires a complete hand movement for me instead of just reaching out with my thumb. So that makes 14 and 15 on the must have list. Thanks

There are motorcycles out there with all your items on your list; however, they cost $14000-$20000+.
Self canceling turn signals -hate them and my thumb works fine.
Cruise control- ridden close to 250,000 miles since 2007 and never had it.
Don't know the love affair with tft screens-not a fan.
My personal list would be for a shaft drive....and basically done.

I would add a manual transmission. As far as chain drives they are the most efficient and I can do the work my self. Shaft drives sap almost 1/3 of the bikes power. I would look into a chain driven car depending on how was it was to work on and if it got me 64 mpg like an NC.

I would add a manual transmission. As far as chain drives they are the most efficient and I can do the work my self. Shaft drives sap almost 1/3 of the bikes power. I would look into a chain driven car depending on how was it was to work on and if it got me 64 mpg like an NC.
What about toothed belt efficiency? Lightweight. No oil involved, no slippage, little power loss. No frequent maintenance. Longer life than chain.

There are motorcycles out there with all your items on your list; however, they cost $14000-$20000+.
Self canceling turn signals -hate them and my thumb works fine.
Cruise control- ridden close to 250,000 miles since 2007 and never had it.
Don't know the love affair with tft screens-not a fan.
My personal list would be for a shaft drive....and basically done.
Thanks very much for your input. Indeed those $14-20,000 bikes have these features but they also tend to be bigger engines with more horsepower and designed to appeal to a higher end of the consumer market. The NC has tried to keep below the $10k mark and the list of must have's I proposed have aimed at keeping the extra cost as low as possible. As for the shaft drive, as a past BMW air head owner (R60/6) and Honda CX500 owner (yes, I am that old) I'm a great fan of shaft drive's but I think of all the attributes the NC750 has, an excess of horsepower is not one of them. A shaft drive would consume 5-10% of that plus add to the weight of the bike and quite a bit in cost, so a triple negative. Hence the belt drive addition to the must have list instead. The cruise control and TFT are on the desirable factory options list rather than the must have list. I too have no problem with the current LCD screen and also have never had the need for cruise control, though many riders consider this a real benefit if they do much highway cruising. Self-cancelling indicators are, for me, a cheap safety issue and as with ABS systems, never necessary until you needed them. Thanks again for your input.

What about toothed belt efficiency? Lightweight. No oil involved, no slippage, little power loss. No frequent maintenance. Longer life than chain.
Yes indeed, it's now on the must have list. A few years ago I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 classic which had belt drive. I loved it. Maintenance free and no rusting. However, I think changing the chain to belt drive is not a simple affair and probably requires quite some frame/swing arm design changes as belts do not allow for flex as a chain does. They require consistent tension. Still, if it's a next gen project, I would put it as one of the higher priorities. P.S I also have belt drive on my "Priority" bicycle.

Yes indeed, it's now on the must have list. A few years ago I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 classic which had belt drive. I loved it. Maintenance free and no rusting. However, I think changing the chain to belt drive is not a simple affair and probably requires quite some frame/swing arm design changes as belts do not allow for flex as a chain does. They require consistent tension. Still, if it's a next gen project, I would put it as one of the higher priorities. P.S I also have belt drive on my "Priority" bicycle.
Honda has done some awesome engineering throughout their history. To put a drive belt sprocket shaft concentric with the swing arm pivot axis should be easy for Honda. Zero does it. Their drive belt tension is constant throughout the swing arm pivot range.

Honda has done some awesome engineering throughout their history. To put a drive belt sprocket shaft concentric with the swing arm pivot axis should be easy for Honda. Zero does it. Their drive belt tension is constant throughout the swing arm pivot range.
Yes I tried the Zero a few years ago and really liked it, but the range was far too limited back then. I think it's probably still too restrictive for anything other than a couple of hours riding before range anxiety gets your nerves tingling. Of course, Zero designed their bike with belt drive in mind from the get-go. The NC would need quite some changing but I have no doubt Honda could do so if they so desired. We just have to get them to see that our desires should also be their desires.

Yes I tried the Zero a few years ago and really liked it, but the range was far too limited back then. I think it's probably still too restrictive for anything other than a couple of hours riding before range anxiety gets your nerves tingling. Of course, Zero designed their bike with belt drive in mind from the get-go. The NC would need quite some changing but I have no doubt Honda could do so if they so desired. We just have to get them to see that our desires should also be their desires.
All great ideas and great hopes for an NC refresh. On the other hand, the NC could be eliminated from the US altogether. The NC has already been completely removed from Honda’s product line in Canada. The manual transmission has been eliminated in the USA, and curiously, the ‘24 model is identical to ‘23, without even so much as an effort made for the customary annual color change.

The NC could still live on in other world markets, where I read it enjoys better sales success. Would it get a major update? Hmmm.

The smart ass in me might respond by saying that it does have a manual transmission, you'll find it by pushing the A/M button next to the throttle. But I wouldn't dare be so witless. BMW estimate their shaft drive consumes up to10% of the crankshaft power, so I'm sure Honda could match that, but the cost and extra weight would likely challenge the limited HP available from the current NC and thus probably reduce the mpg.

The smart ass in me might respond by saying that it does have a manual transmission, you'll find it by pushing the A/M button next to the throttle.
Using said A/M button could mitigate the need for item 3 in post #1. That was my first thought when I read about your idea of preventing automatic shifts in a turn. Simply take control of the transmission yourself. Whenever I rode a DCT, the shift points would annoy me after about 20 minutes, and I would switch to manual mode thereafter.

All great ideas and great hopes for an NC refresh. On the other hand, the NC could be eliminated from the US altogether. The NC has already been completely removed from Honda’s product line in Canada. The manual transmission has been eliminated in the USA, and curiously, the ‘24 model is identical to ‘23, without even so much as an effort made for the customary annual color change.

The NC could still live on in other world markets, where I read it enjoys better sales success. Would it get a major update? Hmmm.
Indeed, the NC has been going since 2011. 13 years is a good testament to its abilities and popularity. In the two years I've been riding mine all around the Delmarva peninsula, I've never seen another one on the road. One or two Harleys, especially during Bike week in Ocean City MD., but never another NC. All good things come to an end, but let's hope there's life in the old dog yet. As the DCT system seems to be here for a few more years yet due to its use across the Honda range, let's hope the NC keeps on keeping on.

Using said A/M button could mitigate the need for item 3 in post #1. That was my first thought when I read about your idea of preventing automatic shifts in a turn. Simply take control of the transmission yourself. Whenever I rode a DCT, the shift points would annoy me after about 20 minutes, and I would switch to manual mode thereafter.
Indeed, I either switch to manual or put it in sport mode when riding in town as the shift from 1st to 2nd from a dead stop takes much longer and generally happens after I have made the left turn from a stop rather than during it. But wouldn't it be nice not to have to think about this at all and eliminate the issue with an IMU? It's a wish list after all.

...Whenever I rode a DCT, the shift points would annoy me after about 20 minutes, and I would switch to manual mode thereafter.
It's a little strange that this is coming from you. You have been practicing hypermiling on your NC X for many years. (75.2 MPG. Wow!).
And you certainly would not achieve lower fuel consumption results in NC DCT MT mode compared to AT mode.
I have been driving vehicles with manual transmission for almost 50 years. I finally changed to automatic transmission when I started having problems operating the clutch pedal with my foot. Currently, the E-CVT transmission operation suits me best. (This has little to do with the standard CVT transmission in most cars).
Honda DCT motorcycles are almost unknown among motorcycle users around the world. Maybe Honda was counting on competition, which would certainly be a good excuse for further development of this technology. But that didn't happen and that's why there have been few changes to the Honda DCT's design over 13 years and I wouldn't count on Honda changing its approach.

It's a little strange that this is coming from you. You have been practicing hypermiling on your NC X for many years. (75.2 MPG. Wow!).
And you certainly would not achieve lower fuel consumption results in NC DCT MT mode compared to AT mode.
I have been driving vehicles with manual transmission for almost 50 years. I finally changed to automatic transmission when I started having problems operating the clutch pedal with my foot. Currently, the E-CVT transmission operation suits me best. (This has little to do with the standard CVT transmission in most cars).
Honda DCT motorcycles are almost unknown among motorcycle users around the world. Maybe Honda was counting on competition, which would certainly be a good excuse for further development of this technology. But that didn't happen and that's why there have been few changes to the Honda DCT's design over 13 years and I wouldn't count on Honda changing its approach.
When you say "Honda DCT motorcycles are almost unknown among motorcycle users around the world," it would seem to contradict the more than 140,000 DCT bikes sold in Europe alone. Half the Goldwings, Africa Twins and NC's sold in north America have been DCT. So I think "unknown" may be a slight exaggeration, but yes they sell more non DCT transmission bikes around the world than they do DCT. But also remember DCT is also found in Honda ATV's and off road side by sides, and I believe the Honda Accord range also offers a model with DCT. Apparently there have also been several upgrades of the DCT in the last 14 years since it first came out in 2010 with the VFR. And let's not forget Honda's success in F1 of late. They are in good company with apparently all of the Ferrari, Lamborghini and MClaren cars having DCT transmission now. Also rumor abounds of having DCT in a future Honda Dakar rally bike. It appears DCT is here to stay and like all such technologies they either continually improve or they die out. Standing still is not really an option.

Very little of that list is going to be on the NC if it gets updated. I expected an update in November 23 and we didn't get it, so if there is no change this November I think that signals the end of the line. The most I would expect is a TFT dash with some connectivity and maybe a styling change. Maybe a few more hp but I doubt it. It's a budget commuter bike so it's never going to get an IMU or top drawer cycle parts. For the same reason it will never get shaft drive or belt drive.

When you say "Honda DCT motorcycles are almost unknown among motorcycle users around the world," it would seem to contradict the more than 140,000 DCT bikes sold in Europe alone. Half the Goldwings, Africa Twins and NC's sold in north America have been DCT. So I think "unknown" may be a slight exaggeration, but yes they sell more non DCT transmission bikes around the world than they do DCT. But also remember DCT is also found in Honda ATV's and off road side by sides, and I believe the Honda Accord range also offers a model with DCT. Apparently there have also been several upgrades of the DCT in the last 14 years since it first came out in 2010 with the VFR. And let's not forget Honda's success in F1 of late. They are in good company with apparently all of the Ferrari, Lamborghini and MClaren cars having DCT transmission now. Also rumor abounds of having DCT in a future Honda Dakar rally bike. It appears DCT is here to stay and like all such technologies they either continually improve or they die out. Standing still is not really an option.
Of course, DCT is in no way unique to Honda or to modern times, having been first put into production in a Hillman Minx car in 1961 (albeit with marginal success), per Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission. Honda has simply been the dominant or perhaps sole manufacturer of DCT equipped modern motorcycles. Other motorcycle manufacturers seem uninterested in using DCTs in their products. Whether Honda motorcycle DCT stays or dies out will probably depend on it’s future sales success or failure. Honda’s own pending e-clutch design may signal a broader, less costly product design direction.

...it would seem to contradict the more than 140,000 DCT bikes sold in Europe alone. ...Standing still is not really an option.
I would not like to start a discussion about the future of DCT again. There have already been such discussions. And statistics on world production are easily available.
Only Honda in 2020 had the record of producing motorcycles in the world, over 20 million. Last year it was 18.7 million. Over the last 13 years, Honda alone has sold about 230 million motorcycles around the world. Add to that Yamaha, with almost 5 million production per year, and many other companies, so it will easily reach over 500 million worldwide since Honda started selling motorcycles with DCT. 140,000 DCTs sold only in Europe is an impressive number but not noticeable in the total number sold. Although I admit that during my trips to Italy I saw the Honda DCT at least 4 times, including one Honda NC Integra.
In the part of the country where I live, I have never noticed a Honda with DCT, but that may be because the number of motorcycles seen on the roads has decreased significantly.
I have personally purchased 2 Honda DCT motorcycles over the last 13 years. The second time I bought it, the dealer reduced the price from about $9,000 to $6,300 for a new motorcycle that had been on the lot for maybe a few months.

Back