• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire Recommendation for Commuting and Light Off-road

Naked duck at least you have decided on a tire.I want to do the same thing for next summer.I have been looking at 80/20 choices,and 90/10.still looking.keep us posted how you like them after some miles.good luck.

I'd love to know what you think after riding on the motorcycle for a while.. I just recently went thought the same decision making process. Eventually I came to the conclusion that all of these tires nowadays should be fairly decent if you picked the tire for the right use. We NC owners are a fairly practical bunch and probably good at that. After way too much research and angst I chose the Continued attack 2. Figured any tire I bought had a limited life span, and wouldn't last much more than a year or two.
Any... So far so good. Seems fine in the rain and on the twisty roads we have out here. The front tire pressure is higher than the original tires... But that doesn't seem to be an issue that I notice. Slight impact on fuel efficiency (went from 3 liters/100km to 3.1). They have no problem handling my driveway which is seriously steep is gravel and has a switch back (a number of cars have a great deal of difficulty driving up without spinning their tires.

I totally agree on that. I think we are all very practical and likes to research for the biggest bang for the buck. Otherwise, we wouldn't have chosen the NCX. :)

It's true that the tire technology has advanced quite a bit recently. I think most 90/10 or 95/5 tires will do just fine on fire trails while not losing too much performance on pavement. Neverthesless, doing all my homework on choosing tires would only make me that much happier with my decision. :D

Naked duck at least you have decided on a tire.I want to do the same thing for next summer.I have been looking at 80/20 choices,and 90/10.still looking.keep us posted how you like them after some miles.good luck.

I will come back with some riding reports, once I get some commuting miles and a few trips to the loggin roads in the Cascade mountains.

Pirelli Scorpion Trail Review

So after 2 weeks and 500 miles of riding on the Scorpion Trail, I figure I'd update you guys with a ride report. In those 10 commuting days, I've had 7 rainy days (with 2 very very wet days). So I've got a pretty good feel for it's wet performance.

Initial impression:
My first thought on the Scorpion Trail - the bike got taller?!?! It's not much but I had to tip-toe just that little bit more. I took a quick 10 mile ride around town, down the freeway, and up to get some gas. The initial turn in is very good and quick, in comparison to the OEM tires. Some of it is due to how the front center is worn, part of it is due to profile of the Pirelli front. It makes slow speed maneuvering that much easier. Well, it was a bit unnerving actually. I realized just how much effort I was putting in with the old tires. The new tires responded much quicker and required much less effort.

Highway Riding:
At higher speed, the tires felt very stable. The turn-in and lean is consistent. But side to side movement felt a bit slower.

Wet Performance:
I think this is one area that the Pirelli outshines the OEM. I felt very comfortable in the wet on the Scorpion Trail. There are three 270 degree Gloverleaf exchanges on my daily commute - 2 with incline slope and one decline. When wet, the OEM tires give me a very unsecure feeling. It feels like the front would occasionally slip when leaned over while going over water or tar snake, even at slower speed. It would give me a momentary feeling of falling. There were also instances of rear fish tailing a bit under braking in wet (even when OEM tires were new).

The Pirelli did very well in the wet this past 2 weeks with record rain. I felt a lot more secure on those gloverleaf exchanges. The tires are grippy with no feeling of slipping.

Negatives:
Although the Pirelli offer good traction, they do feel to have a bit more rolling resistant than the OEM. Tread life (from what I've read online) may also be a concern. Some have claimed to have significant wear on a GS after 2000 miles and replacement is needed after 6000. I doubt the much lighter and milder NCX would wear it out as quickly. I guess only time would tell.

After 2 weeks of riding, I do notice some odd wear pattern on the rear tire. Very strange. it appears that there is a weak spot developing just off the center line. I am afraid that might significantly affect the tread life of the tire....

WP_20141107_001.jpg

freakin' freakin' freak. Caught a freakin' nail (edit: screw) on Friday on the way home. I don't know where I caught it, probably on the last few bends before I got home. The tire held pressure all the way home. It wasn't until I dismounted the bike when I heard "pfffffffffffffffhhh" started from under the bike....

Last edited:
Caught a freakin' nail on Friday on the way home. I don't know where I caught it, probably on the last few bends before I got home. The tire held pressure all the way home. It wasn't until I dismounted the bike when I heard "pfffffffffffffffhhh" from under the bike....

It looks look more of a screw than a nail to me. Also looks like you'll be getting a new tire too soon. Most manufacturers of motorcycle tires do not recommend repairing punctures, its also in all owners manuals of must motorcycles these days too. :eek:

Most people. including myself have used tubeless tire repairs on our tires over the years. I think that both tire and motorcycle manufactures are under the impression that these repairs compromises the structural integrity of the tire, it might to some extent. Either way, you should proceed with caution, if you plan on doing a repair yourself. ;)

yah, it's a screw... Typed too fast.

I keep on going back and forth on repair with a mushroom plug. Some people are dead set against it while some are fine with it, as long as it's ridden mildly (like commuting). I might start a new thread on tire repair.

Back