• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tool recommendation

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey gang since many of you do your own work I figure I can get some recommendations on sockets and wrenches. Is a mid level Taiwan brand like Tekton good enough for a in depth DIY mechanic or is there that much difference if you step up to a made in usa brand like SK tools or Wright? I’m not willing to but tool truck brands like Matco or Snap Off. I would love to support made in USA products but 70 Tekton wrenches cost less than 18 Wright or SK wrenches.

I have some basic stuff but I’d love to upgrade to some decent quality tools.

Hey gang since many of you do your own work I figure I can get some recommendations on sockets and wrenches. Is a mid level Taiwan brand like Tekton good enough for a in depth DIY mechanic or is there that much difference if you step up to a made in usa brand like SK tools or Wright? I’m not willing to but tool truck brands like Matco or Snap Off. I would love to support made in USA products but 70 Tekton wrenches cost less than 18 Wright or SK wrenches.

I have some basic stuff but I’d love to upgrade to some decent quality tools.
One thing I insist on with sockets it that they be 6 point. 12 points have a potential to slip or damage the bolt/nut. I don’t think tool brand is terribly important. I‘ve broken the cheap ones and I’ve broken the expensive ones.

One thing I insist on with sockets it that they be 6 point. 12 points have a potential to slip or damage the bolt/nut. I don’t think tool brand is terribly important. I‘ve broken the cheap ones and I’ve broken the expensive ones.
Definitely 6 point for sure. I would love to buy made in USA tools but it’s damn hard to justify the cost when I’m not a professional mechanic

It doesn’t hurt to have 6 and 12 point in most used 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sizes. 12s allow getting the socket on the fastener when the rachet handle has limited swing room. But yes a 6 point selection comes first. I don’t think it matters for the DIY’er as far as US brand name or not.

Honestly, I have a full set of Craftsman pretty much everything for hand tools, and a full set of ratcheting combo wrenches and ratchets etc. from Harbor Freight, and I recommend Pittsburgh. As much as it pains me, the Chinese stuff just works better.

The Craftsman sockets themselves are great (haven't ever needed a replacement), but their combo wrenches are thicker and all of my ratchets have blown out in some way, so I always reach for Pittsburgh.

Plus HF (in my experience) is no questions asked on their lifetime warranty, so that's pretty awesome for a cheap tool.

If you can go to barn sales, lots of old DIYer's getting rid of old American made tools, that's where the fun lies.

Honestly, I have a full set of Craftsman pretty much everything for hand tools, and a full set of ratcheting combo wrenches and ratchets etc. from Harbor Freight, and I recommend Pittsburgh. As much as it pains me, the Chinese stuff just works better.

The Craftsman sockets themselves are great (haven't ever needed a replacement), but their combo wrenches are thicker and all of my ratchets have blown out in some way, so I always reach for Pittsburgh.

Plus HF (in my experience) is no questions asked on their lifetime warranty, so that's pretty awesome for a cheap tool.

If you can go to barn sales, lots of old DIYer's getting rid of old American made tools, that's where the fun lies.
New or old craftsman?

Everyone has a different financial situation but I've found that good quality tools are sort of an investment. To avoid buying anything made in china I sought out some Japanese tools and they have impressed me. I almost don't want to get them dirty!

I agree with what is said above. I’m a big fan of Harbor Freight for most hand tools. I really like their 72tooth ratchets, which almost eliminates the need for 12 point sockets. Their 1/2in drive six point sockets are hard to beat as well. Throw in a stubby air impact and their cheap angle grinder while your there.

No Japanese motorcycle tool discussion is complete without bringing up JIS cross point screwdrivers. The general argument is that what someone may call a Phillips head screw on a Japanese made motorcycle is not, but is actually a J.I.S., for Japanese Industrial Standard. Supposedly the screw slot depth and shape of the JIS is far less likely to “cam out” than as on a Phillips, or simply put, the screwdriver grips the screw much better. My experience confirms that the JIS is a much better screw/tool than Phillips. When I worked on Japanese built equipment at my old job, I was supplied by the company with JIS tools.

I’ll grab whatever decent socket or wrench and use it on a motorcycle, but I will use none other than a JIS screwdriver on a motorcycle cross point screw. One popular, high quality brand is Vessel, and I have sets of their JIS screwdrivers in both conventional straight handles and in ball grip style. They’re expensive, but in my opinion well worth it.

Examples:

Everyone has a different financial situation but I've found that good quality tools are sort of an investment.

I completely agree, the question is how good is good enough? I know Matco would be amazing but I’m not sure I’m willing to invest 50-70$ per wrench for something that is really more of a hobby. I’m not a professional so I’m trying to find the best bang for my money. I’m really leaning toward Wright brand tools for Made in USA but Tekton makes screwdrivers here so I’m going to get a big pack of those

I have a complete mix from Snap-on 3/8 ratchet sets, Facom, old school Craftsman, Canadian Tire & Taiwanese brands (Toptul). For me the important points are comfortable, non-slip handles, and a decent tooth count. Then a ratchet with socket release is handy (which only my Craftsmans + CTs have). For sockets those with radiused corners to prevent rounding of the fastener are a godsend.

Last edited:
I am fortunate to have had good tools from an early age ( Mac and Bahco), but to be honest, the ones I have bought from Harbor Freight are pretty hard to beat for the price. I DO like Proto ratchets.

I think I’m going with Tekton after looking around. They’re good for the price and I’m not a professional

Back