• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Top Ten touring bikes for Beginners

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
This article showed up on my tablet this morning. Since I tend to read articles about motorcycles, the tablet automatically comes up with several articles a day for me to peruse.

I thought this might be a fun read, since in a thread yesterday we were talking about if the NC 750X made an adequate touring platform. I thought about bikes available today and tried to come up with 10 I thought might be touring friendly for beginners. Then I read the article. I wanted to see if the NC 750X made the cut. Hint: Nope. Only (2) of the bikes I thought of made the list of the ten the article mentioned. About 1/2 of the bikes mentioned in the article I would NEVER have thought of as touring bikes, beginner or otherwise. I would also place the NC 750X above 4 or 5 of the bikes listed in the article, even though I don't think the NC 750X could be considered a "touring bike", but maybe it's because I have toured all 48 states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe 2 up on what I consider real touring bikes. I'll admit that I have never personally considered anything under a liter in displacement, under 100 hp, under 75 ft lbs of torque, that can cruise comfortably at 80 mph (the highest speed limit in several states), with some wind protection and some luggage accommodations capable of true cross-country travel. Bikes like BMW RT's, Honda Goldwings and ST 1300s, Yamaha FJR's, Kawasaki Concours, and Ninja 1000, Suzuki GSX 1000. Bonus points to those that also have shaft drive and cruise control.

I also freely admit any bike can be toured on, with certain restrictions such as solo riding, no interstate, no time frame for completing journey, very limited luggage, and how much discomfort you are willing to endure etc. knowing guys that have made such trips on smaller displacement motorcycles, like these 2 guys that rode from California to Fla on Honda Groms

Heck, my wife is considering a scooter with more displacement than a Grom and we're afraid it might be too gutless for her just riding the back roads in our county lol.

So what do you guys think of that top ten list of beginner touring bikes?

And would you consider riding from Cali to Fla on a Grom?

I guess the key to the list they selected might be the "for beginners" tagline. But no Goldwing on the list is real miss. And yes, I agree that the NC750X, while not a touring bike per se, should be on the list above a number of the bikes on the list. But as always, it is subjective. And no, I would not ride a Grom from FL to CA. But it could be done by someone much younger than I am :)

I feel sorry for people that truly are beginners, know little about motorcycles, and take this type of article seriously.

Reactions: MZ5
Of the list I would rate the

V Strom 650

Versys 300

Himalayan

Imho the Strom is easily the best of the lot with the Versys and the Enfield equal second. Imho the others are either too heavy or too frantic.

a Himalayan and a Heritage Classic on the same "beginner" touring list. Says about all you need to say about the quality of that list.
One possible explanation: Since Harley D can’t seem to successfully sell beginner motorcycles, they don’t build them. But if the author is hell bent on making sure Harley makes the list, he/she had to pick something.

My list included the Honda NC 750X (particularly the DCT version), the Suzuki V Strom 650 , the Kawasaki 650 Versys and Z 650, the Yamaha 700 Tenere, the Yamaha 900 GT (although this might be kind of hyper for a beginner), the Moto Guzzi V7 and 900, and maybe the Royal Enfield Continental GT.

My list included the Honda NC 750X (particularly the DCT version), the Suzuki V Strom 650 , the Kawasaki 650 Versys and Z 650, the Yamaha 700 Tenere, the Yamaha 900 GT (although this might be kind of hyper for a beginner), the Moto Guzzi V7 and 900, and maybe the Royal Enfield Continental GT.
I’d think the interceptor would be better than the continental but I’d go with it.

For beginners, my list would be Rebel 300, Rebel 500, Versys 300x, RE Himalayan, both the RE 650, BMW G310. Nc700/750. Beginners don't need anything over 60hp. Of this list, I have only toured on my nc700, but have toured on gz250, toured on my Suzuki C50, toured with someone on a Rebel 250 and a TU 250, know someone who has toured on a Versys 300x.

In the Honda world, specifically the American Honda US market, they list only one model in their Touring category: the Goldwing. Due to it’s weight and power, I will not consider it a beginner motorcycle. That leaves any other current model Honda as a DIY tourer. Many are capable of touring, but you need to modify it for that purpose.

Then there is defining what “touring” is to each individual. Many might say the motorcycle needs power and wind protection for two-up 80 mph wide open highway. When I tour, I prefer backroads close to nature, avoiding busy highways and metropolitan areas. 50 hp is plenty for the way I tour. My NC took me from midwest USA to Newfoundland with ease. I preferred the NC to the Goldwing then due to it’s lighter weight and maneuverability, suitability for camping, and ease of tie down inside ferry ships.

Back to the top 10 beginner touring list, and keeping the beginner criteria firmly in mind, I think the Honda CB500X belongs there. It is lighter than the NC, holds about a gallon more gasoline than the NC, and you can easily refuel the CB even with a pack or dry bag on the passenger seat. The 500 engine is smooth and linear. Too bad it doesn’t have a frunk, but then few bikes do. I really like my NC, but had the 500 come along before the NC, I would probably own or would have owned a 500X

Honorable mention for beginner touring would be some of the midi or maxi scooters. But, maybe they belong in a special touring scooter top 10 list.

Fair statements indeed 670. Touring, like adventure riding, means different things to different people.

Agree on the Maxi Scooter statement too. My wife and I had a pair of Yamaha 400 Majesty's that would suprise you with their capability. They did me.

"secondary roads are preferred. Paved county roads are the best, state highways are next. Freeways are the worst. We want to make good time, but for us now this is measured with emphasis on 'good' rather than 'time' and when you make that shift in emphasis the whole approach changes"

Robert M Pirsig ..... and 670 cc ;)

that's for sure ... "touring" to me means a multi-day trip in some beautiful areas, without ever hitting an interstate and avoiding highways to the maximum extent.

If I'm going to do 8 hours on the interstate, I'll take my car.

I must admit I have no issue getting on a motorway if I want to get thru some uninteresting countryside quickly and not waste time there.

Yea I'm not riding thru Kansas and Nebraska and Wyoming on secondary back roads, but I can admire those that could

Montana, Idaho, Colorado on the other hand ......

I am in agreement that secondary roads are preferred but there are times the place I am going for the "good roads" found at that destination is hundreds if not at least a 1000+ miles away and vacation time is limited. Hard to make 1000 in a day on secondary roads. 500-600 hundred no problem. Now that I am retired the calculus changes.

Back