• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Torque control light

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, after a 50k ride to meet an old friend for lunch I get on my 2021 NC750x to ride home and after a few k’s, I notice the Torque Control light and check engine light on. Not sure how far I had driven like this, and finally found a safe place to pull over. When I shut down the bike, it wouldn’t restart. I called BCAA (AAA) and after a 2+ hour wait a flat bed shows up. I couldn’t find Neutral on the dash.
When I got home, I charged the battery, did some research and after checking the fuse box and spinning the rear wheel the bike started and the check engine light is off, but the Torque Control light is still on.
Could I have damaged the torque controller by driving too long?
What’s the next step before I try to get an appointment during the busiest time of year?
Thanks

When you say the bike wouldn’t retart, did it do absolutely nothing when you pressed the start button, or was there some activity? What transmission type do you have? If you have a voltmeter, a resting battery measurement would be helpful.

When you say the bike wouldn’t retart, did it do absolutely nothing when you pressed the start button, or was there some activity? What transmission type do you have? If you have a voltmeter, a resting battery measurement would be helpful.
The bike turned over but would fire up. Battery voltage was at 12.6 on my gauge. I have the 6 speed manual trans

The bike turned over but would fire up. Battery voltage was at 12.6 on my gauge. I have the 6 speed manual trans
That you “couldn’t find neutral on the dash” is an odd symptom. Battery voltage to detemine state of charge needs to be done after perhaps an hour of rest with a known accurate voltmeter. Doing load test on the battery would also be good.

I realize the check engine light or malfunction indicator light has turned off now, but obtaining the fault code if it happens again would be very beneficial. On the 2021, I guess reading the fault code would require you to have a service jumper plug. To advise you on what further steps to take, I need to know your skill level, your willingness to work on the problem yourself, your access to tools and service manual, etc.

Well, my skill level was much better with my old 81 Goldwing! At 74, I figured a new modern bike would allow me to Just ride and not have to tinker. Unfortunately, yesterday’s breakdown was the first time I’ve ever had a bike towed home. I have an OBD2 on the way so I can check things out.
I cleaned the front ABS sensor, disconnect and reconnected the battery. Went for a short ride and everything is good.
Thanks for your prompt reply

Well, my skill level was much better with my old 81 Goldwing! At 74, I figured a new modern bike would allow me to Just ride and not have to tinker. Unfortunately, yesterday’s breakdown was the first time I’ve ever had a bike towed home. I have an OBD2 on the way so I can check things out.
I cleaned the front ABS sensor, disconnect and reconnected the battery. Went for a short ride and everything is good.
Thanks for your prompt reply
If you don’t already, I’d suggest carrying a small lithium battery jumper pack in the frunk. I’ve never had to use mine, but I do carry one on most of my motorcycles.

Back