• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Traded my 2010 Bonneville for a 2012 NC700X + review

C8Chris

Reaction score
Visit site
Loved the Bonneville, but didn't ride it much. Found a guy with a similar mileage NC700X and made the trade.

I had a DR200 that I was using for commuting, but this will be my new ride to work.

It came with many farkles. I added the center stand and the Parabellum windshield. I had some Cycle Gear hand guards, but they hit the new windshield at full lock, so I took them off. I also transplanted my loud horn from the DR200 to the NC.

I wrote up a short review so far for the local BMW club to let folks know what it's like:

Great forum, BTW. I lurked here a bit as I was deciding to trade the Bonnie. It was also helpful when picking out my new windshield.

NC700X Review

Let me start the review by saying that the Mazda Miata is a terrible truck. The cabin is very small and the car is ill-suited for hauling bulk mulch or full sheets of drywall.

This is a summary of most NC700X magazine reviews, which faults the bike for not being a sport bike.

If you’re looking for a low cost, low maintenance, high mpg, high storage motorcycle that’s highway capable- this is your bike. But it’s more KLR than CBR. It embodies the positives and addresses the negatives of past commuters I’ve owned.

I liked the fuel efficiency and light weight of my DR200, but boy was it slow. Seven year old waiting for Christmas slow. The NC700X has a ton of grunt and runs up to 90 without a hitch.

I liked the Burgman 400 storage, but it failed to deliver 70+ mpg many claimed. To keep up with traffic, vigorously twisting the throttle killed mpg. The NC700X has awesome gas mileage and a lockable “frunk” where the gas tank traditionally sits. I can put my backpack in there and switch out with my large full face helmet when I stop. Add the Givi topcase off my Burgman and it’s all the space I need. Riding the Burgman for 50 miles on the highway was a chore.

I liked the KLR 650’s ugly, leave-me-alone-while-parked-downtown look, but it was a thrashy single. Sure, a time proven design that’s been working since the Earth cooled, but nothing you want to ride at 75+ mph. The NC700X is ugly enough to be passed over by the Angel of Thief, but is fuel injected- smoother and easier to ride. The “hit-the-rev-limit-too-early” complaint could also be leveled at the KLR.

Is the perfect bike?

Nah.

But it was a perfect even trade for the 2010 Triumph Bonneville I didn’t ride.

Let me start the review by saying that the Mazda Miata is a terrible truck. The cabin is very small and the car is ill-suited for hauling bulk mulch or full sheets of drywall.

This is a summary of most NC700X magazine reviews, which faults the bike for not being a sport bike.

Haha! Well put, my friend. :)

Loved the Bonneville, but didn't ride it much. Found a guy with a similar mileage NC700X and made the trade.

I had a DR200 that I was using for commuting, but this will be my new ride to work.

It came with many farkles. I added the center stand and the Parabellum windshield. I had some Cycle Gear hand guards, but they hit the new windshield at full lock, so I took them off. I also transplanted my loud horn from the DR200 to the NC.

I wrote up a short review so far for the local BMW club to let folks know what it's like:

Great forum, BTW. I lurked here a bit as I was deciding to trade the Bonnie. It was also helpful when picking out my new windshield.

NC700X Review

If you’re looking for a low cost, low maintenance, high mpg, high storage motorcycle that’s highway capable- this is your bike. But it’s more KLR than CBR. It embodies the positives and addresses the negatives of past commuters I’ve owned.

I liked the fuel efficiency and light weight of my DR200, but boy was it slow. Seven year old waiting for Christmas slow. The NC700X has a ton of grunt and runs up to 90 without a hitch.

I liked the Burgman 400 storage, but it failed to deliver 70+ mpg many claimed. To keep up with traffic, vigorously twisting the throttle killed mpg. The NC700X has awesome gas mileage and a lockable “frunk” where the gas tank traditionally sits. I can put my backpack in there and switch out with my large full face helmet when I stop. Add the Givi topcase off my Burgman and it’s all the space I need. Riding the Burgman for 50 miles on the highway was a chore.

I liked the KLR 650’s ugly, leave-me-alone-while-parked-downtown look, but it was a thrashy single. Sure, a time proven design that’s been working since the Earth cooled, but nothing you want to ride at 75+ mph. The NC700X is ugly enough to be passed over by the Angel of Thief, but is fuel injected- smoother and easier to ride. The “hit-the-rev-limit-too-early” complaint could also be leveled at the KLR.

Is the perfect bike?

Nah.

4.jpg

Welcome from Texas! Howdy !!!!!

SmileyCowboyTwoGuns.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:

It was also helpful when picking out my new windshield.

NC700X Review

Is the perfect bike?

Nah.

Congrats on the new bike, as least to you. Sounds like you got the better end of the deal here, if you ask me. :eek:

If you plan riding this bike as "Commuter", I would suggest the following accessories that you should get for the bike:

• Rear Wheel Hugger
• Front Fender Extender
• Radiator Guard
• Barkbuster Hand Guards
• Heated Grips - Preferably Honda (You will also need the Honda Sub-harness too)
• Honda Light Bar
• PIAA Bar Mounts for 1" OD (Mount to the Honda Light bar)
• LED Driving Lights - I recommend Vision X Solo Series (You would also need the 1 Meter Deutsch Cable assemblies, which are sold separately.)

How's that Corbin seat?

I have one on my ST1300 for many years now. It took a little time to get used to the "Hard and Flat" padding in the beginning. I would not go back the stock seat on that bike for anyone.

I cannot bring myself to buy one for the NC, as they are quite pricy. I got the one for my ST1300 used for $200 off of Craigslist several years ago.

I had some Cycle Gear hand guards, but they hit the new windshield at full lock, so I took them off.

I have a Cee Bailey 20" Extended windshield and Barkbusters VSP Hand Guards, see image below.

IMG_2345.jpg

The hand guards slightly come into contact with the windshield. Not enough to cause any issues, as the "Clearance Cutouts" are plenty enough...

I also suggest that you sign up with http://www.fuelly.com/ to track your MPG on this bike like many others do on this site, including myself. I have not reached the 60 MPG figure yet, as my bike is still in the "Break-In Period", it has been improving though. Also get myself the App for your Smartphone too, you can input your data at the pump as you fuel up too...

Last edited:
The Corbin seat came with the bike, so I don't know what the stocker was like.

The forum consensus is that the NC700X stock seat is terrible. I've had a number of Corbin seats with good results. Had one on my V-Strom 1000 that was great for the Alaska trip. Did some big mileage trips on a Road King with a Corbin with equally good results. You'd think that the hard seat would get uncomfortable, but it doesn't.

I picked up a black landscaping pot for 50 cents that I'm going to cut into a rear shock protector.

As far as the rest of the farkling goes-- I think I'll ride for a bit to see what makes sense.

The bike came with a SW Motech GPS holder + GPS that I put up for sale in the classifieds. High quality piece, but doesn't make sense for me..

Back