• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Turn a SA into an X?

MattNQ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here. Perhaps interested in buying a used NC700SA. This for example.

I'm wondering how close I could get it to an X with some cheapish mods? (There are no older used Xs in Australia as the X was only recently released here). To make my question more specific, let's say I:

1) Found someone selling their original X suspension cheaply because they were upgrading - will this be easily installed on a 2012 SA?
2) Got an upholsterer to increase the thickness of the seat.
3) Changed the handlebars to sit more upright
4) Put on a touring windscreen

If I did all of that, in what ways would it still not be identical to an X? :confused:

Not sure what your goal is with getting the S to an X. I can comment on the bars. I found that when I tried to put on X bars that the related cables were not long enough. Had issues with front brake, clutch and throttle. Put some significant effort into finding enough slack in the cables but was never really happy with the result so got bars closer to S geometry.

Along with the comments on cable and hose length issues with higher bars, you will also eventually run out of length on the electrical cables. You could make extensions for them, but it's just another chore in the project.

And don't forget, that the S model's headlight turns with the handlebar, on the X it has different setup. Putting on a bigger screen will not work actually, unless you go with some specific - like madstad. OTherwise it will be also hard to make it work like a factory built model.

I gave up the conversion project years ago. I should had to replace handlebar, cables, wiring, front fairings+headlight, suspension, center stand.
And when I would change/sell the bike , there would be among the first questions : did you have an accident? Why did you replace the whole front?

It is cheaper to sell it as it is now, and buy another one, instead of making these modifications. Unless you wish to keep it forever( but it's not likely to happen to anyone... )

So if you are planning to buy an S and convert it, forget it! Go for the X, if you need that.
Mine is currently on sale ( located in the EU ) but there are no buyers for months now. Maybe in the spring.
I spent a lot on different screens, tried to put on a handlebar riser - failed. So decided to replace it with another bike ( maybe X or D ).

Interesting info.

Some time ago I had been thinking of the possibility of importing a cheap used S from Germany and Scramblerizing it as I found the pre-'16 X too adventurish styled for my taste but I need more suspension travel than what the S has with the bad roads over here and the occasional easy dirt road.
I even run a poll on the idea on this forum.
Since then my financial state stalemated and the much more "street style" of the '16 750X model pretty much killed the NC Scrambler idea for me but I could always come around.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the suspension bolts right on, but other than a bit of extra ground clearance that won't make much of a difference because the suspension bits are otherwise the same. You could bolt on some different handlebars if the cables are long enough and add a bigger windscreen, but that won't make it an -X yet because the whole headlight unit is mounted differently on an -X compared to an -S

I'd say don't bother because there are only 2 important differences between an X and an S: seating position and looks. You can change the seating position to your liking with the methods you described but you'll never get the looks right unless you've got an NC700X donor bike to start with.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the detailed feedback. Looks like far more of a hassle than I realised. My main aim is, on a tight budget, to get something I can tour on, sit in a comfy "adventure" position, and go exploring down dirt roads and fire trails... Am attracted to the relaxed torquey engine of the NC, but maybe I'm better off going toward a CB500X - I can't afford a new NC750X (no second hand ones yet in Australia), and I suppose I could change the sprockets on a CB500X to make the cruising a bit more relaxed.

I think if you wanted to tour you would want some foot pegs to vary your leg position, a seat to make ur but happy and some luggage to carry your crap :)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the detailed feedback. Looks like far more of a hassle than I realised. My main aim is, on a tight budget, to get something I can tour on, sit in a comfy "adventure" position, and go exploring down dirt roads and fire trails... Am attracted to the relaxed torquey engine of the NC, but maybe I'm better off going toward a CB500X - I can't afford a new NC750X (no second hand ones yet in Australia), and I suppose I could change the sprockets on a CB500X to make the cruising a bit more relaxed.

The NC700X, NC700S, CB500X and all variants of those bikes are all street bikes, don't let any marketing or off road looking tires convince you otherwise. They're not made to go off road, the high weight and budget suspension (no matter the ride height) is a clear indicator of that. You *can* go off road with street bikes like these, and sure it'll go slightly better if you have a bit more ground clearance and semi-knobby tires, but there are other bikes that are way better suited for it. Most of them will cost more, others will cost the same but have less power (such as the CRF250L), the reason for that is because both the NC700 and CB500 series are street bikes made to a strict budget and making them more capable (lighter, better protected, more capable suspension) would have made them more expensive. Whether that matters to you depends on how determined you are to going off road and how willing you are to turn around if it gets too gnarly. A street bike can handle dirt roads just fine as long as you adjust your speed to the conditions and your skill level. Where the buck stops for me is slippery mud and rocks that could bash the sump wide open. Knobby tires and a good bash plate could help an NC700X or CB500X get beyond that, but then you're heading into situations where you're liable to fall over in places where you can't get the bike upright again (not to mention the damage).

Don't want to go off road. Reasonably maintained dirt roads and fire trails are all I want. Even there, though, there are plenty of potholes that mean higher ground clearance and longer travel suspension on the street-ish adventure bikes is a definite plus.

I'm thinking the modded NC700SA may still get me there. I don't care about the headlight position or the looks. Just how much could the handlebars be raised, if at all - would a 1 inch riser work? Is there longer suspension front and rear that is better than the X but still not too expensive? Can the footpegs be lowered a bit on an SA?

And please don't tell me to just buy an X - I can't afford it. There are only new X's in Australia at about $10,000. I can get a second hand NC700SA for less than $5000.

Thanks greenboy, that looks like a good way to go if the cables can manage at least an inch of raise (I'm noting the description contradicts the heading by saying the minimum raise is 1 inch rather than 7/8).

Back