• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Twin Brake Discs for Front Wheel

Black Knight

Reaction score
Visit site
Why is it not possible to order (as an optional extra), when purchasing your new NC700, another front brake disc?

After all, Honda have quite a large list of accessories for the bike, and imo twin discs up front would look good (although maybe not needed).

There must be another bike in the present Honda range that has twin discs that would be suitable for a straight swop?

ie: same style wheel with ABS, together with same measurements?

Does anyone have any ideas?

You would need a left fork leg (assuming the donor was identical - otherwise two), a new wheel, a new caliper, a new disc rotor, hoses, and a larger master cylinder. I have done this on BMW's where there was a single and dual disc model of similar bikes. Not impossible, but expensive. The starting point is identifying a workable donor bike. Happy hunting.

The NCX front brakes are surely way ok.
You need to squeeze with 4 fingers and the ABS kicks in.
Try it if you don't believe me.
:p

There's no doubting that fact, as I've tried it for myself and can confirm it. I simply would like to add another disc for cosmetic purposes only!

I would think if you were going to go that far, do a complete swap to an adjustable upside down fork. With all the bikes in Honda's stable and their huge parts bin, matching the stem length and bearing diameter along with the triple clamp angle probably wouldn't be that hard.

After installing the emulators, don't know how much benefit per dollar there would be. I have a manual and the front brake keeps improving as I put miles on it. Not much you can do about the looks though.

I would think if you were going to go that far, do a complete swap to an adjustable upside down fork. With all the bikes in Honda's stable and their huge parts bin, matching the stem length and bearing diameter along with the triple clamp angle probably wouldn't be that hard.

After installing the emulators, don't know how much benefit per dollar there would be. I have a manual and the front brake keeps improving as I put miles on it. Not much you can do about the looks though.

Now your talking............upside down forks, if only.

The problem with inverted forks is the clearance within the fairing. I've attempted a CRF450 triple tree but with the tree being so much wider it won't clear the inner frame. I was interested in trying to go to a 21" wheel but then there is the clearance issue with the radiator unless I crank the bike up another 2". Project over!

Upside down forks would require a custom CNC triple clamp. The best starting point I could find would be a KTM 990 SM-T with radial Brembo brakes. Figure about $2,000 in parts unless you can find a wadded bike with a good front end. Maybe a SM-T that got slammed in the rear. Yep. I'm still looking too. I also looked at what it would take to upsize the front wheel and you need a minimum of 1/2" of additional travel for each inch of wheel, so that is 2 inches for a 21 inch wheel. Including both the extra diameter and the extended forks, that would raise the front by four inches. Naturally, the rear would need the same lift and the seat height would become 36 inches - like a motocrosser. A 19 inch front is more doable with a total increase in ride height of 2-1/2 inches.

But in the end, the brakes are fine and the 17 inch wheel with a proper dirt tire is ok for everything but deep sand. For anything else you can just slow down.

There is no $7,000 bike you can't turn into a $14,000 bike. It just takes money.

But then there are $14,000 bikes to choose from and the worm turns.

There is no $7,000 bike you can't turn into a $14,000 bike. It just takes money.

Dave, don't forget the third option.
A $7000 bike turned into a $14000 bike that was custom built just for you.:)
Just Sayin'

Bob

In my experience, the $14,000 bike is just a more expensive starting point. If I had started with a $14,000 KTM 990 SM-T it would have knocked about $2,500 off of the upgrade costs (suspension and brakes) and would have added about $1,000 for an aux. fuel tank and KTM-spcific farkles to fix its known shortcomings. The NC is still about $6,000 less and should perform its intended mission well - all the time delivering superior operating economy and reliability.

I'm happy with the base bike, the finished bike, and the overall project cost.

Its funny this should be bought up ,cos just the other day I was thinking the same thing,,so I checked out a Transalp front end on ebay.I saw only some forks and yorks for about £150,,trouble was they where off a 1990 model..I should think you could get them to fit..and re coned...I but I would not fancy fiitting 23year old forks to my new bike..of course you would have to get another set of wheels,Myself and I think a set of laced wheels would look the business...I hate the ride from a small front,so would go with a large dia front and with a decent front on/off road tyres,it should be good for abit of green lane ing.....

If twin disks was the only criteria, it looks like the front end of a 95ish VFR 750 could be made to work. Basically the same fork we have. about the same travel. May have to mess with the wheel spacers to get the right width. Would keep the 17" wheel (that I like). Haven't done a bunch of research but looks feasible. Maybe use the 95 lowers and wheel, brakes, etc with our fork tubes. Cheap and plentiful parts. As before, a lot of work for ? gain.

At the end of the day IMHO, Honda should offer an extra front disc as an optional extra. Ok it won't be cheap, but it's there for those that can afford it.

I do,nt know of one being OPTIONAL these days,but my old yam xs650 was single disc but had lugs on the other leg,and if you got a caliper of something like a xs110 it would fit strait on,,also there was holes in the wheel for the disc... How times change,,just not for the better....

good grief why do you need two disc??

ya not built like this fatty are you
USER_OUA1.GIF

super-fat-man-on-a-scooter.jpg

Back