• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Two Very Important Firsts This Weekend...

Backroads

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an NC700-centric weekend.

On Saturday I spied my first NC in the wild! I've been waiting to spot one since before I bought mine, and on Saturday I was waiting for the metering lights on the Bay Bridge, heading into SF. I looked to my left, and a few lanes over I saw a familiar shape, but in silver. I wanted to wave wildly and get their attention and acknowledge what an awesome machine it is, but there I sat... behind the wheel of my girlfriend's Civic... wishing that OCR's thread had come up with an NC-specific hand gesture. Oh well.

But if that was you on a silver NCX wearing a blue helmet and carrying a camo backpack... Hi! :D

The other first was my girlfriend's first time riding pillion on the NCX. Actually, it was her first time sitting on any motorcycle ever.
And... she loved it.
I have never been so relieved and happy. In order for her to sign-on with the idea of me buying the NC, I had to promise that it would be sold once kids are on the way. I'm hoping her newly-found love of riding might give me room to renegotiate...

Here she is in her fancy new gear:

Photo Aug 04, 5 40 45 PM.jpg

The other first was my girlfriend's first time riding pillion on the NCX. Actually, it was her first time sitting on any motorcycle ever.
And... she loved it.
I have never been so relieved and happy. In order for her to sign-on with the idea of me buying the NC, I had to promise that it would be sold once kids are on the way. I'm hoping her newly-found love of riding might give me room to renegotiate...

I was in the same situation in 1982. It was about 30 years before I had my 2nd motorcycle. both children are grown now.

I had the same promise problem. When I married my wife she made me promise I would quit motorcycle racing when our 1st child was born. I did race my last race in the early 70's, two days before the first child.

But now, some 47 years later, the last kid goes to college in three weeks. Hum, never promised anything about when the kids were gone!

Gentlemen, start your engines!0.jpg

smileysportsrider.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I had to give up riding for about 10 years for the same reason. I have to thank my son for getting me back in the saddle.

The wife and I had taken him to Washington DC to see the sights there and we got caught up behind a group of riders that I think was Rolling Thunder.

My son says "Dad, you used to ride a motorcycle didn't you?" I said I sure did.

"Why did you stop? " he asks next.

I promised your mother I would quit riding until you kids grew up, I replied.

My son turns around in the seat and looks at my wife and asks... "Would you get mad at Dad if he got another motorcycle?"

My wife replies "No, we agreed he could get another one once you kids grew up"

I didn't say a word..... We finished up our trip, drove home, and I immediately began buying riding gear off of ebay.

As the packages started showing up my wife asked, why did you buy a motorcycle jacket... you don't have a motorcycle?

I just smiled and said.... "I will soon". Then I reminded her of the conversation we had in Washington DC.

She just shook her head and walked away.

A few months later, I won my VFR on ebay, and had it shipped from PA (They had a foot of snow on the ground there).

I have thanked my son for asking his questions in the car that day many times!

smileyshades.jpg

I had the same promise problem. When I married my wife she made me promise I would quit motorcycle racing when our 1st child was born. I did race my last race in the early 70's, two days before the first child.

But now, some 47 years later, the last kid goes to college in three weeks. Hum, never promised anything about when the kids were gone!

Gentlemen, start your engines!
If you still have that race bike it may qualify for the antique motorcycle races at Barber in October. ;)

Yeah, I had to give up riding for about 10 years for the same reason. I have to thank my son for getting me back in the saddle.
The wife and I had taken him to Washington DC to see the sights there and we got caught up behind a group of riders that I think was Rolling Thunder.
My son says "Dad, you used to ride a motorcycle didn't you?" I said I sure did.
"Why did you stop? " he asks next.
I promised your mother I would quit riding until you kids grew up, I replied.
My son turns around in the seat and looks at my wife and asks... "Would you get mad at Dad if he got another motorcycle?"
My wife replies "No, we agreed he could get another one once you kids grew up"
I didn't say a word..... We finished up our trip, drove home, and I immediately began buying riding gear off of ebay.
As the packages started showing up my wife asked, why did you buy a motorcycle jacket... you don't have a motorcycle?
I just smiled and said.... "I will soon".

and did you teach that very intelligent young man how to ride?

Great to read your "Success" story.

Sorry to be preachy, but don't place your helmet on the seat while it is on its side stand.
It is recipe for drop and scratches etc.
Better put on floor or hang on the right handlebar etc.
:p
Sorry, that's me, just gotta comment when I see something not quite right.
:p

Wife and I had a similar story, she was vehementely against me riding a motorcycle. Took just about every drop of silver on my tounge to convince her, including a (not so serious) PowerPoint presentation on why I needed to ride. She gave me two months on my own then hopped on with me, and is completely smitten with riding. Almost enough where she is thinking about taking her MSC and buying a small bike of her own.

Back