• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Two weeks with nc

Wellman1

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the nc for two weeks now.Have filled up twice,both times got 165 miles until red light flashes.iwas a bit disappointed in that I was riding like an angel.Fitted puig screen big inprovement,dropped bike off paddock stand today bent rear brake leaver and broke some lugs on upper fairing nothing that superglue and a metal bar could not sort out The HISS light started flashing today with ignition off,rang dealership who told me it should have been doing that since I picked it up over two weeks ago

165 is not bad at all - I typically get 150 before my red light starts flashing (I too ride like and angel - but obviously not the saintliest kind).
Interesting about the better mpg with the bigger screen
Mike

Had the nc for two weeks now.Have filled up twice,both times got 165 miles until red light flashes.iwas a bit disappointed in that I was riding like an angel.Fitted puig screen big inprovement,dropped bike off paddock stand today bent rear brake leaver and broke some lugs on upper fairing nothing that superglue and a metal bar could not sort out The HISS light started flashing today with ignition off,rang dealership who told me it should have been doing that since I picked it up over two weeks ago

In theory, from what I've read, the HISS light is supposed to flash once a second (or so) after the bike has been shut off, for a certain number of hours, and then stop. I am thinking I saw it as 12 hours, or 24. Something like that. Why that would be, I have no idea. My buddy's 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere is like that too. It flashes for X number of hours, then stops. Seems kinda silly to me.

My first tank's mileage was 165 miles *after* I had gone way into reserve. (meaning my reserve red LCD block started blinking at around 140 miles.

Second tank was better, but still rather poor IMHO.

Riding like an Angel, too. (Well, Angel-ish lol) I think we have to adjust our relative thoughts on what "Angel" really means with this bike. Shifting at anything less than 4,000 RPM is being a Saint, for me. Tried to limit my revs to 3,000 - 3,500 +/- for second tank. Shifting below 3,000 say at 2,500 might yield more satisfactory mpg's, but I don't know if I can do it for any length of time, honestly.

First: 48 mpg
Second: 59 mpg

The bike does everything I want it to do, so even if the mpg's never get out of the 50's, meh, I'm okay with that. With my BMW, I could get 65+ mpg, or 32 mpg, depending. I don't think the NCX will ever have that wild a fluctuation, so middle of the road is fine with me.

I think the HISS thing is for when you go to the airport on your bike and jet off to the Bahamas for a month. The flashing of the LED might run your battery flat while it waits for your return. To me the flashing of one LED would take so long to run down a 16ah (?) battery that it's probably shutting down other aspects of it too. I know that's the case with the Mera 357 alarm on my other bike. The light stops flashing after a day or two, but if you leave it a couple of weeks you have to get the bike back to life with the ignition key actually in the lock. Presumably the sensors never close down though.
Mike

My first tank I got 61 mpg. After that we here in St. Louis have switched to the winter fuel mix and you will always get 4 to 5 mpg less. Another reason to dislike winter :)

The bike had about 1/2 tank when I picked it up. After my first full tank, I got just over 57 MPG. Haven't gone all the way through another tank yet. FWIW

Maybe you guys are lugging the engine and consuming more fuel, I weigh over 250 lbs and have been getting between 66-69 mpg since 1st tank. I'm no sport rider, just move along with the traffic with an occational blast off from red lights and stop signs. Just turned 1000 miles today and hoping to get into the 70's mpg now.

Back